Thread: wiring question(s)

DX User

wiring question(s)

so i recently picked up an 89 lxi. decent looking car, runs good, drives alright, pretty good shape for it's age. the main problem right now is that for some odd reason the people i got it from felt it a good idea to bypass all of the cars original light wiring and just run a couple of wires straight to the battery

so now i'm trying to get everything back to stock so that i can actually fix whatever was the original problem, provided there even was one.

while sorting through the mess i came across these connectors, it seems that whatever they were hooked to is missing or i'm just missing something. thus i ask of you, where pray tell do they go?

edit: didn't pay attention to the 5 posts before pictures rule. one is a black connector with a pink and a black wire, other is a yellow connector with a black wire and a black and, i think it was blue (ill double check asap), wire. it's on the drivers side, left of the steering column

i have a wiring diagram but the one i have doesn't make mention of either of them, so if anyone happens to know where i could get a better one that would be swell as well. i just dont have the money for a manual at the time and haven't tracked down a fsm for this car yet. im currently downloading the one from the sticky

sweeome site, i'm not new to hondas, just this particular one. i had a 4g coupe that was my baby but she was totalled a few years back, but i found this one for 150 and couldnt resist.
    Last edited by strychnine; 04-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: wiring question(s)

hard to say off hand but there some connectors that don't go anywhere on my car for options I don't have etc. Honda just used the same wiring harness.

Sounds like the dimmer for the interior lights must have went bad for them to rewire everything like that. If its straight to the battery with no fuse Id pull all that until you can see whats working and whats not. A flashlight is cheaper then burning up a car with bad wires.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

do you have the pictures uploaded to an image site already? PM me the url's of the pictures and i'll post them for you. the rule works great for spam, but is lousy in a situation like this where you need help.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    hard to say off hand but there some connectors that don't go anywhere on my car for options I don't have etc. Honda just used the same wiring harness.

Sounds like the dimmer for the interior lights must have went bad for them to rewire everything like that. If its straight to the battery with no fuse Id pull all that until you can see whats working and whats not. A flashlight is cheaper then burning up a car with bad wires.

wp

it's quite the head scratcher. i got what they had running to the lights taken care of at the light end but im still working my way through the in car part of it. i did find out that they had something wired off of the brake switch (proper term?) because at the moment i can't get the car out of park, to move it i had to use the override thing and start it in neutral.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

The lock out solenoid in the shifter wont actuate without the brake depressed and key turned to run (II).
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    so i recently picked up an 89 lxi. decent looking car, runs good, drives alright, pretty good shape for it's age. the main problem right now is that for some odd reason the people i got it from felt it a good idea to bypass all of the cars original light wiring and just run a couple of wires straight to the battery

so now i'm trying to get everything back to stock so that i can actually fix whatever was the original problem, provided there even was one.

while sorting through the mess i came across these connectors, it seems that whatever they were hooked to is missing or i'm just missing something. thus i ask of you, where pray tell do they go?

edit: didn't pay attention to the 5 posts before pictures rule. one is a black connector with a pink and a black wire, other is a yellow connector with a black wire and a black and, i think it was blue (ill double check asap), wire. it's on the drivers side, left of the steering column

i have a wiring diagram but the one i have doesn't make mention of either of them, so if anyone happens to know where i could get a better one that would be swell as well. i just dont have the money for a manual at the time and haven't tracked down a fsm for this car yet. im currently downloading the one from the sticky

sweeome site, i'm not new to hondas, just this particular one. i had a 4g coupe that was my baby but she was totalled a few years back, but i found this one for 150 and couldnt resist.

Vehicle

The black connector is for the clutch switch (unused on automatic). Not entirely sure what the yellow is for. As it only exists in the 89, I believe it might also connect to the clutch switch for the starter kill. Both are unused on my auto 89 and everything functions as it should.
    CARDONE SUCKS.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible View Post
    The lock out solenoid in the shifter wont actuate without the brake depressed and key turned to run (II).
    it seems like the brake part is where my problem is currently. i also have no brake lights, i'm assuming they have the same power source and when i undid some of what they had wired i broke the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible View Post
    The black connector is for the clutch switch (unused on automatic). Not entirely sure what the yellow is for. As it only exists in the 89, I believe it might also connect to the clutch switch for the starter kill. Both are unused on my auto 89 and everything functions as it should.
    ahh sweet, thanks. one less thing to worry about.

i have thus far found that they wired into the sunroof, brake switch, and ignition. why they wired to the ignition and still made it so that one would have to pop the hood to hook up lights i will never understand.

on the plus side i know my headlight motors are both good

and i missed it before, i'll definitely check the dimmer

Vehicle

If you have any specific questions, I have the 89 electrical troubleshooting manual at my disposal...
    CARDONE SUCKS.