Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alternative poly engine mounts

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Alternative poly engine mounts

any updates on these? i just discovered my 3 year old low mileage front mount is already cracked, and it was a moog not a cheap one,

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Hey guys,

I'm getting back to working on these after I finish the OBD1 adapters tomorrow. Just thought I would bump this so you know, and to say thanks for being patient.

C|

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

count me in for a set
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

It's not a set, it's just the rear one.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    It's not a set, it's just the rear one.

Actually it will work for both if you have the *normal* short style front mount with the stamped bracket. If you have the weird taller front mount (on some '89s I think) with the cast bracket you will probably have to switch to the stamped bracket. I have a volunteer with the taller mount willing to try it out though, just need to get him some parts.

C|

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Like I said, count me in for a set
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Actually it will work for both if you have the *normal* short style front mount with the stamped bracket. If you have the weird taller front mount (on some '89s I think) with the cast bracket you will probably have to switch to the stamped bracket. I have a volunteer with the taller mount willing to try it out though, just need to get him some parts.

C|
    If you need me to try one to test it, I also have one of the weird tall mounts around. I have my own front mount I designed, but I will take some measurements if needed

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Oops.

Well that's cool!
    Andrew.

Hey are these things for sale soon because im either gonna get these or a full set of motor mounts from rockauto... would be good to know soon because im putting in a big order at rock auto.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Australian 86 View Post
    Hey are these things for sale soon because im either gonna get these or a full set of motor mounts from rockauto... would be good to know soon because im putting in a big order at rock auto.

I'm trying to get these done ASAP. Things kinda stalled in the last couple weeks due to some other high priority work I had to do. And then my last band saw blade broke while I was cutting up the square tubing for these. New blades will be here Monday so then work can resume.

I did manage to build a set and send them to a guy on Preludepower that has an '89 LX-i with the cast bracket and taller engine mount. He's going to test fit them to see what they need to work on engines with the cast bracket. I'll definitely report back what we come up with.

One thing I would like to reiterate for anyone that hasn't read the entire thread, is that these poly mounts WILL be harder than OEM type mounts. That means they WILL transmit more engine vibration to the car. If you want something a little softer you could try using an OEM type (rubber) GM transmission mount instead of the poly mount from Energy. It would be more expensive than just getting the regular stock mounts but you would at least have the option then for rubber or poly.

Finally, I wanted to mention that depending on the financial situation I might start collecting money when the parts are done and ready for powder coating. Cash has been tight lately and I would rather do the whole batch (of 50) at once if possible. Normally I don't like to collect money until parts are ready to ship but in this case it might make things easier. Anyway I'll let you guys know when the time comes.

C|

Vehicle

I'm trying to get these done ASAP. Things kinda stalled in the last couple weeks due to some other high priority work I had to do. And then my last band saw blade broke while I was cutting up the square tubing for these. New blades will be here Monday so then work can resume.

I did manage to build a set and send them to a guy on Preludepower that has an '89 LX-i with the cast bracket and taller engine mount. He's going to test fit them to see what they need to work on engines with the cast bracket. I'll definitely report back what we come up with.

One thing I would like to reiterate for anyone that hasn't read the entire thread, is that these poly mounts WILL be harder than OEM type mounts. That means they WILL transmit more engine vibration to the car. If you want something a little softer you could try using an OEM type (rubber) GM transmission mount instead of the poly mount from Energy. It would be more expensive than just getting the regular stock mounts but you would at least have the option then for rubber or poly.

Finally, I wanted to mention that depending on the financial situation I might start collecting money when the parts are done and ready for powder coating. Cash has been tight lately and I would rather do the whole batch (of 50) at once if possible. Normally I don't like to collect money until parts are ready to ship but in this case it might make things easier. Anyway I'll let you guys know when the time comes.

C|
    you don't need to powdercoat mine, i have a favor at the powdercoaters on the field where I work, so that will save you money, i'm not worried about vibration being transmitted into the car, we don't need no stinking mushy mounts!! I just need one to go at the back, as I made my own front mount

I don't mind a little idle vibration, but at the moment when I decelerate with the gears after accelerating I get a horrible shudder, which, from what I have been told by a mechanic is a front engine mount... would this mount fix the problem, or would it be worse in the way of shuddering over an oem? Also, what do you recon postage would be to australia (for 2)?
    Thanks!

Vehicle

I don't mind a little idle vibration, but at the moment when I decelerate with the gears after accelerating I get a horrible shudder, which, from what I have been told by a mechanic is a front engine mount... would this mount fix the problem, or would it be worse in the way of shuddering over an oem? Also, what do you recon postage would be to australia (for 2)?
    Thanks!

These will definitely fix a sloppy factory mount. That's the reason I did this mod, I was tired of the accel/decel wind up you get with the rubber mounts. I also wanted to get rid of that stupid torque bar. I hate that thing.

If you just want the brackets the postage would be about $14 US. If you need the poly mounts too it would probably be double that, unless I can cram everything into a single flat rate box and it's less than 4 lbs. I would have to check the weights on everything. You can probably get the poly mount locally though.

C|

Hmmm I'm a little confused to what you are saying here... At the moment I have the original short motor mount that was made for the car in 85, so all I want is two of your replacement mounts (one for the back one for the front) or am I missing something here?
    Thanks!

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Cygnus is making brackets to adapt to a generic motor mount that is readily available instead of custom items that are just one off and non replaceable. This way if your mount breaks or gets damaged, etc. you can just go get the same one and bam.

He wants to sell you just the brackets and for you to buy the actual mount's to save you money. Take a read in the prelude thread he posted on the first page.
    Andrew.

Vehicle

Hmmm I'm a little confused to what you are saying here... At the moment I have the original short motor mount that was made for the car in 85, so all I want is two of your replacement mounts (one for the back one for the front) or am I missing something here?
    Thanks!

Ok. What I'm actually selling is a bracket that lets you use an off-the-shelf polyurethane transmission mount as an engine mount. The bracket is the rectangular thing with the tabs on it (---EDIT--- see below). In addition to the bracket you also need the poly transmission mount, which at least in the US is available at many auto parts stores and lots of places online. I don't know if the poly mount is available in AU so if need be I can get them for you and send them with the brackets.

So the cost to replace both stock engine mounts is $50 for the two brackets, plus whatever the two poly mounts cost, last I recall they were around $25 - $30 each depending on where you get them. That totals to about $100. It is a little more expensive than just getting stock type mounts (especially from Rockauto) but if you want a more solid type mount it's the way to go.

Hope that clears up your confusion. And just so you know this isn't a one time group buy or anything. I plan to keep these in stock and offer them for sale for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Dang, I never posted any pictures of these! See my next post...

C|
    Last edited by cygnus x-1; 06-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Vehicle

Here is the part I'm selling:

The poly mount that you have to buy is this:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/ener...ension-31108g/

And then this is the bracket and poly mount installed on the front side engine mount:

C|
    Last edited by cygnus x-1; 06-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    you don't need to powdercoat mine, i have a favor at the powdercoaters on the field where I work, so that will save you money, i'm not worried about vibration being transmitted into the car, we don't need no stinking mushy mounts!! I just need one to go at the back, as I made my own front mount

Yeah, I remember that you wanted a plain one.

The extra vibration doesn't bother me at all, although it does accentuate some of the existing interior rattles, like in the dash. Not that it matters with the loud exhaust and ITB sucking sound.

C|

Vehicle

Yeah, I remember that you wanted a plain one.

The extra vibration doesn't bother me at all, although it does accentuate some of the existing interior rattles, like in the dash. Not that it matters with the loud exhaust and ITB sucking sound.

C|
    yea, when mine is done, I don't think I will hear the dash rattling,

hmmm ok great thanks for the help... im thinking with the price of the poly mount (i understand now! ) including postage to Australia it will cost over $100... and im already placing a big order at rockauto... ill see if i can find some really cheap mounts, and if i can i'd love to get a set of mounts! (its a shame we dont get more of the energy suspension parts here, because i already need to get a shifter bushing kit...)
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Australian 86; 06-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Vehicle

I think there might be a company down there that does poly mounts, but I can't remember. Let me check with one of the AU members on Preludepower.

C|

Vehicle

No word on poly mounts in Oz yet. It's being looked into but could be a week or so before we know.

C|

Vehicle

Soon...

C|

Vehicle

We're moving along now. The ears are all welded on and the holes drilled. Tomorrow the weld nuts get tacked on and then they're off for powder coating. I'm only going to do them in black since doing custom colors gets more expensive, and it's not a very visible part anyway. They won't go to the coater until monday so if you want one bare let me know before then. Right now I only know of one person that wants a bare one (Lostforawhile), but if more people ask then I might keep a few bare just in case. No guarantees though after Monday.

It will take probably a week or so for the coating, but they're far enough along now that I can start collecting money. The coated ones will be $25 each, or if you want bare ones it's $20 each. I don't have a solid price on shipping yet but I expect it to be about $5 per pair anywhere in the US. If you only want one it will still be the same shipping price as a pair. If you want more than 4 I'll get you a custom shipping quote. For you guys outside the US, I'll have to get you a custom shipping quote.

Just so everyone is clear on this, YOU NEED TO BUY THE POLY MOUNT YOURSELF. What I'm selling here is only the bracket that lets you use the poly mount. The poly mount is part# 3.1108 (red) or 3.1108g (black) from Energy suspension. These are available online from many places and are also stocked at many auto parts stores since it is a common upgrade for many GM vehicles and I think Jeep also. If for some reason you can't get the poly mounts (outside the US for example), let me know and we'll work something out. About the cheapest I've seen them is from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1108G/

So whenever you guys are ready, just PM me with how many you want and I'll send you my Paypal or mailing address if you want to send a check or money order. I have 46 of these parts right now, but if they all sell I'll go ahead and do another batch. This is posted over on PreludePower as well, so if you're a member there too please don't contact me from both places, otherwise confusion will ensue.

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask either here or over PM.

Thanks!

C| (Chris)

Vehicle

Woohoo! The brackets are done and ready for powder coating. Target date for ready to ship is a week from Monday.

C|