Thread: alternator issue.

DX User

alternator issue.

ok i have a 88 accord carbed. ive need had any fuel issues like anyone else but i have one big pain in the ass problem.

the alternator will not charge unless its over 2 grand idk if its going out or what not. but i think i also have a bad ground somewhere and cant find it

but is there any newer honda alternators that have higher amp out put and charge at idle

if i charge the battery for a while it will run fine but it will eventuly kill the battery at a idle

it got a new alt about a year and a half ago but that doesnt matter.

Re: alternator issue.

I'm thinking slipping belt, weak connections, or bad alternator.
    Put a volt meter on it and wiggle the plug, see if it fluctuates. You may even be able to tell by hearing the idle change if you don't have a volt meter
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User

I have a volt meter I checked it a few weeks back it said 12.4 running and like 12.5 off I'll try playing with the plugs

DX User

And I do hear a noise weird noise coming from the motor sounds like bearings coming apart from something maybe alt or water pump so I'll put a belt on it

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

that voltage is too low

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by dylan1234 View Post
    ok i have a 88 accord carbed. ive need had any fuel issues like anyone else but i have one big pain in the ass problem.

the alternator will not charge unless its over 2 grand idk if its going out or what not. but i think i also have a bad ground somewhere and cant find it

but is there any newer honda alternators that have higher amp out put and charge at idle

if i charge the battery for a while it will run fine but it will eventuly kill the battery at a idle

it got a new alt about a year and a half ago but that doesnt matter.
    either the alt has just run out of brushes or it has a blow diode in the rectifier.
    both are easy to fix.
    you can buy a brush holder from a parts place for prob $5 or a rectifier for $30 or 40. denso altenators are great cause there is no soldering required.
    everything just screws in