Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A20A3 Weak Spark?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Angry Re: A20A3 Weak Spark?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    OK. Now. I Got It. You Guys Are Brilliant, Swapped Out Bearings Though I Had To Surgically Remove 4 Rusted Screws, 2 Holding The Pickup Coil, 2 Holding The Set Plates. lol. That Was A Job Right There. Anyways, Put The Good Bearing In A Bowl Of 10w/40 Synthetic Motor Oil And Span It Around Many Times, Getting Any And All Metal Shards/Dirt/Any Debris Out And After About 15 Or 20 Minutes The Bearing Rolled Just Like New. Perfect Bearing. Fit It In The Dizzy, And Put It All Back Together And Holy Crap, It's Fixed. Perfectly Even Air Gap Every Time I Turn It, Every Prong On The Reluctor, Perfect Spacing...Finally. I'm Pretty Confident This Fixed The Weak Sporadic Firing Of The Plugs. Now It's Just For The Trying To See If It Fixed It Part. It's 3:45A.M. Here And All 3 Of Our Neighbors Hate Me And My Roommates Hondas Enough To Call The Local Law Enforcement On Us For Our Cars. It's Perfect Timing To Try It. Wake Up Ruth Alabama. <---I Hope This Fixed It.

Epic Failure. Still Bad Weak Spark. WTF?
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: A20A3 Weak Spark?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    Epic Failure. Still Bad Weak Spark. WTF?
    coil? wires? bad dizzy rotor? cap? ignition module? do the simple stuff first

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

From re-reading the thread it seems that more than one thing was going on with the distributor. Besides the weak spark, there was the gap and the TDC sensor thing.

Reluctor gap seems fixed from what you have said; TDC sensor fixed too.
    I wonder what you did about the igniter. And there is something I may add: I was hunting some problem with the ignition and try testing the coil using the values from the service manual.
    It tested wrong (according to those specs), so I went to the store and got a brand new coil. Before installing it I decided to test it; it measured the same as the old one.
    I checked Autozone's repair info; the testing values for the ignition coil listed there matched the ones that both coils were giving.

As for how to set the multimeter, if you have to measure 50,000 ohms I would use the 200K ohms scale (200K = 200,000; that's the one I have in mine). Just get in a range that would measure what you need to measure.
    Of course, it would read about 50.xxx. You may want a digital multimeter if you want to get a more exact measurement.

You'll get to find your troubled part... just be patient and test. It seems that your mechanicals are good now.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by ecogabriel View Post
    From re-reading the thread it seems that more than one thing was going on with the distributor. Besides the weak spark, there was the gap and the TDC sensor thing.

Reluctor gap seems fixed from what you have said; TDC sensor fixed too.
    I wonder what you did about the igniter. And there is something I may add: I was hunting some problem with the ignition and try testing the coil using the values from the service manual.
    It tested wrong (according to those specs), so I went to the store and got a brand new coil. Before installing it I decided to test it; it measured the same as the old one.
    I checked Autozone's repair info; the testing values for the ignition coil listed there matched the ones that both coils were giving.

As for how to set the multimeter, if you have to measure 50,000 ohms I would use the 200K ohms scale (200K = 200,000; that's the one I have in mine). Just get in a range that would measure what you need to measure.
    Of course, it would read about 50.xxx. You may want a digital multimeter if you want to get a more exact measurement.

You'll get to find your troubled part... just be patient and test. It seems that your mechanicals are good now.
    it's not always possible to test for a bad coil, they can read within specs and still be bad, i have a set of plug wires if he needs them, are they the same on carb and FI?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Wink Re: A20A3 Weak Spark?

Ok. I've Come Across A Complete Rebuilt B16A With 15K Miles, With The YS1 Trans, Stage 3 Exedy Clutch, And Skunk2 Manifold For $1K. A Good Friend Of Mine's Selling It. Sounds Like A Good Fix To Me. lol. What Do Ya'll Think?
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"