Thread: fuel pump works when it wants too.

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

fuel pump works when it wants too.

well as the title says I can start the car & the fuel pump may click once. the car is running OK, then dies as the carb gets empty. turn off the car then try to start it again hoping for a lot of clicks from the pump as it fills the carb but most of the time it clicks once then nothing. I'll try again & again & again, then like once out of ten tries it will click a lot & refill the carb & start. I have changed the filter in the engine bay, fuel cut relay on the back of the fuse box & the fuel fuse itself. I have checked & cleaned all known connection. I removed the oil pressure switch long ago before this problem for a manual gauge (the oil pressure switch is tied into fuel circuit (sort of fuel system fail safe as the book says). I'm thinking is got to be a short some where or the pump is about to grenade on me. there's been a few times I went from asphalt to dirt & it died after a bump or what not. I just cant find the short. I have it hooked up on a switch from the battery & the pump works fine for now.

any1 else have some ideas ?

thanks.
    1982 2gee 4dr Accord Lx 1.8 L EK1 CCVC 5-speed = DD
    1984 2.5gee 3dr Accord Dx turbo A20a3 swap 5-speed = Track car (work in progress)

DX User

Re: fuel pump works when it wants too.

disconnect the fuel line. and see if fuel is pumping or not.

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

I got a little time to try & figure it out today. after following the wire back to the fuel pump & repairing two breaks in-line, I then figured out it was the ignition switch. if I start the car like normal the pump wont start. if I start the car like normal then turn the key back a little bit the pump will kick on.

UPDATE......I replaced the ignition switch today & it still does it just not as bad, like 1 or 2 times out of 6 tries it will click once. the rest of the time it clicks like normal. it also still does it when wired to a hot lead on a fused switch. I think its my pump now. I'm going to swap the pump with the one from my 84 3dr & see what happens on the factory wiring circuit & on a fused switch hot lead.
    Last edited by ekoms; 06-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    1984 2.5gee 3dr Accord Dx turbo A20a3 swap 5-speed = Track car (work in progress)

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

its all fixed up now . I swapped the pump from my 84 & it hasn't done it since. I read that the pumps a internally regulated, what PSI range do they run at ?

thanks.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

Im having what i believe is the same problem. My 85 would die randomly then start back up. But the other day it shit the bed and i had to get it towed home. It wont start for shit now.
    1985 HONDA ACCORD AUTO

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yep, my 84 did the same thing. The fuel pump just started dying randomly and my car would sputter to a stop. Restart the car and it would be fine. Might as well check for fuel and if you're not getting any, replace that pump!