Thread: 1987 honda accord

DX User

Question 1987 honda accord

Hello everyone, new to forum, I have an 87 honda accord, carb,4 cylinder, has 182,000 orignal miles and still runs great! I've changed the fuel filters, dist.cap,rotor,wires,plugs! The plug holes in the head been stripped out by someone else, one would blow out of head when started! I retapped and put in insert and replaced plug! Car ran good, but when you got around about 2500 to 3000 RPM's it would jump hard and sometimes it would feel like fouled plugs! So I retapped the other plug holes, added inserts and replaced plugs! It started this morning just fine! After I did the plug holes it would'nt start! I've checked everything! It's getting gas to carb.,getting spark from coil to dist.cap, checked wires are on right plugs, checked #1 plug for spark from wire, getting spark, tested #4 plug from wire not getting spark! Hadn't checked #2 or #3 spark from wire to plug!, but could it had jumped timing? Brought from one owner, very old woman, Iv'e been driving it for a mouth, but was about to change the timing belt and tensoner this week!, Could the complete distributor be bad! Or could it be the timing belt? Everything works on this car, fully electric, ac works, defogers work, lights work, cruse control works, locks and windows(electric), every thing checked out okay! going to check fire for #2 and # 3! Just wanted to know if jumped timing or dist. bad? Any help would be deeply appreacited! thank you!

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Re: 1987 honda accord

check you plug wires are plugged correctly
    There's a ground near the thermostat housing that will keep the car from running if not connected

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

DX User

Smile Re: 1987 honda accord

THANKS DEMON 1024, will give that a try! Thanks very much!

DX User

Unhappy Re: 1987 honda accord

changed ground still won't start! not getting fire from wires to plugs, think it jumped timing, removing cover to see if dots line up! was going to change timing belt and other parts any way! If that doesn't work will take to shop or replace complete dist.!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 1987 honda accord

How did you keep the filings out of the cylinders?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

Cool Re: 1987 honda accord

vacum cleaner, Did one before I did the other three and it ran just fine! Found that the new ground strape gets hot when trying to start!