Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi Sedan

re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Quote Originally Posted by tomanymiles... View Post
    so i was in 5th gear and stepped on the gas and it made alot of noise but i wasnt speeding up. now my gear doesnt even work. just makes alot of noise when i let out the cluch. prier to the gear going out, 5th made a high pitch ringing noise. not sure if its the tranny or clutch. at idle with clutch out i can hear pieces of something in there. but once i push in the clutch the it sounds normal. i heard when your clutch is going bad the 5th gear goes first. need some help please
    That sounds more like a transmission issue. If it was the clutch, I think this would be evident on all of the gears, at least slightly. The sound is probably teeth from the gears clinking and it probably have some missing teeth and is slipping. I know that when my transmission went out on my 64 continental, I would hit the gas and it would make the loud noise and rev, but no speed. It's because there is minimal to no contact being made.

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your car.
    ~Storm Plooper~
    Where do you collect unemployment when your job is blown up?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by StormPlooper View Post
    That sounds more like a transmission issue. If it was the clutch, I think this would be evident on all of the gears, at least slightly. The sound is probably teeth from the gears clinking and it probably have some missing teeth and is slipping. I know that when my transmission went out on my 64 continental, I would hit the gas and it would make the loud noise and rev, but no speed. It's because there is minimal to no contact being made.

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your car.
    all my other gears shift smooth and no slipping...

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord

I haven't really been able to find anything about this through search.. Sooo, here goes..

My headlights.. They LOVE to go up, but never go down, I have to pop the hood, and spin the little things with the arrows on them... Not that I mind.. But, it's a bit of a pain, and it's something I was curious about, 90% of the time, I just leave them 'up and open'. I was just wondering if this was a common problem, or even one that's perhaps 'easy' to fix.

Thanks

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yup, almost every time that happens it's cause of the faulty switch in the dashboard. replace that and it should work good again

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord

I'm hoping it's an inexpensive fairly easy fix :P where should I get a replacement switch from?

Or, what's it called 'exactly' cause i'm finding a ~lot~ of switches.. O.o electrical isn't my keen spot, i'm familiar with cooling systems and timing systems lol slowly learning the rest.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by J. McNeal View Post
    I'm hoping it's an inexpensive fairly easy fix :P where should I get a replacement switch from?

Or, what's it called 'exactly' cause i'm finding a ~lot~ of switches.. O.o electrical isn't my keen spot, i'm familiar with cooling systems and timing systems lol slowly learning the rest.
    pm me, it's easy to replace, I have about ten of those switches

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord

Another question.. Door panels, anyone have a website or know of a place (aside from junkyard trolling) where to get some door panels for an 89 accord coupe lx-i?? i don't care about color, i'm just tired of finding broken or bent ones at the JY.. My car's going to need a lot of interior work and I would rather buy new replacement parts, then get used ones and spend twice as much money making them look nice.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by J. McNeal View Post
    Another question.. Door panels, anyone have a website or know of a place (aside from junkyard trolling) where to get some door panels for an 89 accord coupe lx-i?? i don't care about color, i'm just tired of finding broken or bent ones at the JY.. My car's going to need a lot of interior work and I would rather buy new replacement parts, then get used ones and spend twice as much money making them look nice.
    you know you can take the upholstery off right? you aren't going to find new ones, if you do you are going to pay a fortune, the top piece of the panels unscrews from the backing, everything comes apart. you can get the material the panels are made from at any automotive upholstery shop,, it's pretty much a do it yourself deal.

Will a engine from a 3gee drop right into a civic/crx from that same time period?

Thanks

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

it is not a direct bolt in swap

oh okay. Thanks!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi Sedan

all my other gears shift smooth and no slipping...
    You can damage a single gear in the transmission, it is possible... I'm not a huge expert, but this is what happened to my car before and then one day it wouldn't go forward at all and I had to get the tranny replaced.

Also, the loud noises can be a gears missing teeth. On one of the gears, the teeth can be missing and then the teeth on the other gear would be smacking into the next teeth on the gear missing teeth, possibly damaging them and giving you that loud noise you are hearing, which is why it is still going but not as fast as it should be.
    Last edited by StormPlooper; 05-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    ~Storm Plooper~
    Where do you collect unemployment when your job is blown up?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

so i was in 5th gear and stepped on the gas and it made alot of noise but i wasnt speeding up. now my gear doesnt even work. just makes alot of noise when i let out the cluch. prier to the gear going out, 5th made a high pitch ringing noise. not sure if its the tranny or clutch. at idle with clutch out i can hear pieces of something in there. but once i push in the clutch the it sounds normal. i heard when your clutch is going bad the 5th gear goes first. need some help please
    My 5th gear went out too. Sucks. Sounds like the common 5th gear problem with these model A2K5 trans. Mine made a whining noise though,, but never ANY clinks, though the cat is cut out and straight piped and it's loud enough, i may just not have heard any clinking. The whine actually made the car sound like it was scrolling(supercharged), but only in 5th gear, so i guess it's safe to say, when it starts sounding like it's scrollin', it's about to shatter, break, explode, whatever it does from overheating so hot from lack of oil lubrication. Finally, driving 75mph down I-20 in ATL, 5th gave out completely. You can pull the black cover off the very end of the trans, and take a peak. 5th is right there.
    If your clutch was going out, it'd be slipping in all gears, especially when plenty of torque/horses was applied i.e WOT etc. And generally, a clutch doesn't slip for longer than a month or two before going out. When it starts to slip, it's already toast. Lostforawhile Knows how to check 5th gear, and any of the guys here can reference you to the hybrid Integra Gear swap into the A2K5.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

at idle with clutch out i can hear pieces of something in there. but once i push in the clutch the it sounds normal.
    This sounds like the throwout bearing.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

the throw out bearing makes noise when the clutch is in. if there's noise with the clutch out, it would be something in the gearbox. probably bits of the teeth from your 5th gear floating around in the gearbox

Vehicle

tomanymiles...

Pull off the black stamped metal cover on the far end of the gear box and check...And if it's not 5th, the stock replacement Clutch, throwout bearing and pressure plate, including clutch pilot is like 99$ at O'Reilly's. Takes like an hour to change the clutch and everything if you have done it before. If not, it's quite easy. Here's the steps for a clutch kit replacement:

Step 1:Place a jack under the trans, and jack it up until it's nice and sturdy holding.

Step 2:Remove the clutch cable from the release shaft and the speedo cable from the rear of the trans. There's also a frame/trans ground to disconnect.

Step 3: Remove all 14mm bolts holding the trans to the block.(I'd mark each bolts place as they will vary in length)

Step 4:Pull the trans from the block and lift out of the car, after lowering the jack slightly.(The trans is gonna weigh a ton. It took me and another friend to manhandle it out of the engine bay, so it'll probably be at least a 2 player ordeal.

Step 5:Remove the special 8mm bolt holding the release bearing and remove the bearing.

Step 6:Separate the release arm from the bearing by removing the clip from the holes in the release bearing.

Step 7:Install the release arm clip back on the new bearing, and reinstall the new bearing/clip with the 8mm bolt.
    {Remember to clean and re-grease the release bearing sliding surface}

Step 8:Place a 17mm socket/ratchet on the crank bolt on the belt side(Friend should hold pressure) and remove the 6 12 point 10mm bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel. The clutch disk should fall out when the pressure plate comes off.

Step 9:Reinstall the new clutch disk and pressure plate by aligning the flywheel dowels with the dowel holes in the pressure plate.

Step 10:Align the clutch using your pilot key, and leave the key in there until you've tightened all the 6 10mm 12 point bolts in a criss cross pattern, two turns at a time. (Torque them to 19ft/lbs each)

Step 11:remove the clutch pilot key, and replace the trans on the jack and slide it back on the block(There's dowels to help you align the trans better.)

Step 12:Reinstall all the 14mm trans bolts and remove the jack from underneath.

Step 13:Re-Install your clutch and speedo cables. reattatch the frame/trans ground.

Step 14:Step back, pat yourself on the back and admire your work. Thank god it's a FWD trans, and not a RWD.
    Last edited by firefighterwhite89; 05-04-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

3Geez Veteran

Is it legal to remove the stickers from door jams and under the hood and around the engine and such?

Vehicle

Post re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Is it legal to remove the stickers from door jams and under the hood and around the engine and such?
    Totally legal...

Until Someone Catches You?

I'd imagine it's illegal or at LEAST frowned upon, EVEN THOUGH it's your car, and YOU own it, not the Government...Kinda like removing Catalytic Converters...
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

3Geez Veteran

I'm not talking about shaving VIN's or removing the plate in the door/on the dash; just the interior color code, exterior color code, tire pressure, and the stickers under the hood.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I'm not talking about shaving VIN's or removing the plate in the door/on the dash; just the interior color code, exterior color code, tire pressure, and the stickers under the hood.
    Yeah it's legal and happens all the time, You get in a crash and replace your hood with a aftermarket hood, maybe someone wants the totally change the color of the car.

As you said it would only be illegal if you shaved the Vin on the firewall, Dash and doorjam, Though people do that too, I had a friend who had a 86 LX and a 88 LX, the 88 had $700 in back dmv fees and the 86 was current, so he installed a underhood light over the firewall vin and carefully swapped the dash and doorjam vins lol
    2004-2011?

3Geez Veteran

I got all of the stickers off and now there are clean spots under my hood, haha. I need to pressure wash my engine bay. The door jams look much better, and the engine bay itself looks cleaner.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    the throw out bearing makes noise when the clutch is in. if there's noise with the clutch out, it would be something in the gearbox. probably bits of the teeth from your 5th gear floating around in the gearbox
    I know that's true for every other car, but I thought ours were special. Guess not.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

you can swap the dash as long as you reinstall your proper vin plate, nothing illegal about that, only if you were trying to install another vin, some people say it's illegal, but if it's the original and it matches the other Vin numbers, I don't see the issue. these cars use standard rivets, some cars have special oddball rivets. It's like if you changed a replacement odometer to match your current one, technically illegal, but you aren't trying to deceive anyone

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I know that's true for every other car, but I thought ours were special. Guess not.
    our cars are special

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord LXi Sedan

i am going to be buying F1 stage 1 clutch kit for my ride since i have to pull it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a 10 pound or 12 pound flywheel for my ride

I have 88 accord LX-i with the A20A3 motor 5 speed.