Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Smile re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Quote Originally Posted by bongogocrazy View Post
    i am going to be buying F1 stage 1 clutch kit for my ride since i have to pull it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a 10 pound or 12 pound flywheel for my ride

I have 88 accord LX-i with the A20A3 motor 5 speed.
    You COULD have it machined at a shop for weight reduction. They'll know what to do, i'd hope...How much do our stock flywheels weigh? I thought it was roughly 22lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    you can swap the dash as long as you reinstall your proper vin plate, nothing illegal about that, only if you were trying to install another vin, some people say it's illegal, but if it's the original and it matches the other Vin numbers, I don't see the issue. these cars use standard rivets, some cars have special oddball rivets. It's like if you changed a replacement odometer to match your current one, technically illegal, but you aren't trying to deceive anyone
    In Alabama, once your car is over 20 years old, the odometer reading will forever be xxx,xxx, no matter what. That's what my title/registration says.

Do have a question though. Would it make sense after you completely entirely rebuild you motor, to reset your odometer to 000,000? Makes sense to me. Especially, if it was a new motor.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle

re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Quote Originally Posted by bongogocrazy View Post
    i am going to be buying F1 stage 1 clutch kit for my ride since i have to pull it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a 10 pound or 12 pound flywheel for my ride

I have 88 accord LX-i with the A20A3 motor 5 speed.

Try Bisimoto.com? They make anything custom nearly except intake manifolds. And they love us 3gee guys with support and direct bolt-on after market parts than any other company out there really. Shoot Randy an Email. He's excellent with customer service.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Does an SE-I have different types of coils? I was looking at one at the j/y and to me they look different but I've never read anything about them having different suspension. sorry for crappy phone pics

SE-I rear

regular accord rear

SE-I front

regular accord front

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle

Question re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Have a few questions:

-------> Can Petroleum Jelly be used as a lubricant for doors, hinges, sqeaks etc.?
    -I got some on my hand the other day, and came to realize it's pretty much water proof. Just like the lube Energy suspension sends with its bushings.

-------> Can Petroleum Jelly be used to protect wiring splices from air/moisture?
    -I know it's made of petroleum BUT, It's not NEARLY as flammable as you'd think...

-------> Since our cars are partial OBD0, wouldn't a simple narrowband O2 Sensor suffice?

-------> Isn't our O2 sensor already merely a narrowband O2 sensor?

-------> Does anyone know if we can still get the rubber seal that goes around our sunroofs? Mine leaks horribly.

-------> How would i go about adding another indictaor/warning light to one of the empty ones on my gauge cluster?

-------> How would you wire up a shift LED for the tachometer like STI's have?

-------> How hard would a K23 swap be in a 3gee Lx-i?

-------> What price range would i be looking at for a K23 swap roughly?
    (I'm sure one of us have thought about it more than once...)

-------> Do people really not make many 'how-to's' or do they just never make it to the 'how to' section?

-------> Why don't we have a more in depth 3geez forum directory?

-------> Why don't we have a business card stencil to print our own 3geez.com forum reference cards?
    (TONS of times, i've told people about the forums here that drive 3geez, though several old, a few young driving 3geez, i've come across at gas stations etc., and i believe if i had a business card to give them, they'd have more incentive to join the site.)

-------> Does anyone still have the 3geez.com stickers up F/S? If not, who has the original template drawing saved? And are they willing to be awesome and share the copyright to make more?

-------> Can we still get the under hood stickers new?

-------> What's the largest size tire i can fit on my Lx-i stock 13" rims?
    Recommends P185/70-R13. P195/70-R13's seem wider, better gripping and more sufficient though.

-------> Do we have a magical book like the ford LMC magazine etc. to order a plethora of stock parts from?

-------> Would you use copper gasket sealer on you HG?

-------> Anyone want to go see Blessthefall in ATL in August?

That's all i can think up for now...
    Last edited by firefighterwhite89; 05-09-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    Have a few questions:

-------> Can Petroleum Jelly be used as a lubricant for doors, hinges, sqeaks etc.?
    -I got some on my hand the other day, and came to realize it's pretty much water proof. Just like the lube Energy suspension sends with its bushings.

-------> Can Petroleum Jelly be used to protect wiring splices from air/moisture?
    -I know it's made of petroleum BUT, It's not NEARLY as flammable as you'd think...

-------> Since our cars are partial OBD0, wouldn't a simple narrowband O2 Sensor suffice?

-------> Isn't our O2 sensor already merely a narrowband O2 sensor?

-------> Does anyone know if we can still get the rubber seal that goes around our sunroofs? Mine leaks horribly.

-------> How would i go about adding another indictaor/warning light to one of the empty ones on my gauge cluster?

-------> How would you wire up a shift LED for the tachometer like STI's have?

-------> How hard would a K23 swap be in a 3gee Lx-i?

-------> What price range would i be looking at for a K23 swap roughly?
    (I'm sure one of us have thought about it more than once...)

-------> Do people really not make many 'how-to's' or do they just never make it to the 'how to' section?

-------> Why don't we have a more in depth 3geez forum directory?

-------> Why don't we have a business card stencil to print our own 3geez.com forum reference cards?
    (TONS of times, i've told people about the forums here that drive 3geez, though several old, a few young driving 3geez, i've come across at gas stations etc., and i believe if i had a business card to give them, they'd have more incentive to join the site.)

-------> Does anyone still have the 3geez.com stickers up F/S? If not, who has the original template drawing saved? And are they willing to be awesome and share the copyright to make more?

-------> What's the largest size tire i can fit on my Lx-i stock 13" rims?
    Recommends P185/70-R13. P195/70-R13's seem wider, better gripping and more sufficient though.

-------> Do we have a magical book like the ford LMC magazine etc. to order a plethora of stock parts from?

-------> Would you use copper gasket sealer on you HG?

-------> Anyone want to go see Blessthefall in ATL in August?

That's all i can think up for now...
    Um I can Answer About the Sun Roof Seal and the Underhood Stickers for you you, On the under hood stickers I was able to get them new from Honda, I'll check into them for you, and on the sunroof, Is your Car a LX or a LXI?
    2004-2011?

3Geez Veteran

Does anyone know if we can still get the rubber seal that goes around our sunroofs? Mine leaks horribly.
    I believe not. Your sunroof is factory since you have an LX-i; try to find a nice seal from a junkyard.

How would i go about adding another indictaor/warning light to one of the empty ones on my gauge cluster?
    I believe if you completely disassemble the cluster you can pop them out. The lights are LED's so watch out for that.

How hard would a K23 swap be in a 3gee Lx-i?
    Pretty hard.

Do people really not make many 'how-to's' or do they just never make it to the 'how to' section?
    People just don't because everyone does the same things to these cars. Is there something you're looking for specifically?

Why don't we have a more in depth 3geez forum directory?
    What do you mean by this? If you mean better searching, use Google instead of the shitty vBulletin search.

Why don't we have a business card stencil to print our own 3geez.com forum reference cards?
    No one has bothered to make any. Nominate yourself.

Does anyone still have the 3geez.com stickers up F/S? If not, who has the original template drawing saved? And are they willing to be awesome and share the copyright to make more?
    I'm surprised you missed this:
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75651

What's the largest size tire i can fit on my Lx-i stock 13" rims?
    Use Google to find a tire size comparison site. Pretty helpful.

Do we have a magical book like the ford LMC magazine etc. to order a plethora of stock parts from?
    majestichonda.com

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i

I've been doing some reading on the A16A crank.

I've only found people who tossed the idea around. did anyone actually do this? If not was it really possible to swap the crank in, get some custom rods pistons, and a overbore to get some pretty good power out of it?

I mean they said it would be pretty rev crazy, but would I lose power even with that amount of work or would it actually give a bit of power once it was all done, and say maybe even boosted.

And I'm talking a bore of say 83-83.5 *since 84 is dangerous territory*

I mean if its possible and no ones done it, I would give it a try if I can get hold of a A16A crank. sounds fun and pretty different.
    Yea for photoshop...No license plate. :3

"If I shoot a leprechaun, will Lucky charms explode everywhere?"

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

the lights in the cluster are not LEDS, they are small bulbs, if you take the cluster apart, you'll see how they are in there, it's just a matter of drilling a small hole in plastic and adding an LED or a small bulb and socket, radio shack sells them, be careful adding, as the ground on the bulbs for illumination are controlled by the dimmer circuit. you need a separate power and a ground, depending on the sender, or whatever you are running, you'll see on the icon above the blank spot, it's painted black over tinted plastic, you carefully use some 1500 wet/dry sandpaper to polish off the black paint over the icon you want to use, Charlie I was going to take some pictures to show you how the bulbs were installed, in case you ever wanted to do this, but you have no contact info
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 05-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by obdriver6 View Post
    Does an SE-I have different types of coils? I was looking at one at the j/y and to me they look different but I've never read anything about them having different suspension. sorry for crappy phone pics

SE-I rear

regular accord rear

SE-I front

regular accord front
    Hmmmm Sounds like a discovery!

I did some research and the SE-i Does In-fact have It's own Special Springs (Per Looking at Honda Part Numbers) While the DX/LX/LX-i All Share the same springs, Oddly The DX/LX/LX-i/SE-i All share the Same Struts
    2004-2011?

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the lights in the cluster are not LEDS, they are small bulbs, if you take the cluster apart, you'll see how they are in there, it's just a matter of drilling a small hole in plastic and adding an LED or a small bulb and socket, radio shack sells them, be careful adding, as the ground on the bulbs for illumination are controlled by the dimmer circuit. you need a separate power and a ground, depending on the sender, or whatever you are running, you'll see on the icon above the blank spot, it's painted black over tinted plastic, you carefully use some 1500 wet/dry sandpaper to polish off the black paint over the icon you want to use, Charlie I was going to take some pictures to show you how the bulbs were installed, in case you ever wanted to do this, but you have no contact info
    Other things need to be done before you teach me how to modify LED's.

Also, some lights in the gauges are regular; some are soldered LED's. The ones behind the low fuel light and such are LED's, I'm fairly certain.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Other things need to be done before you teach me how to modify LED's.

Also, some lights in the gauges are regular; some are soldered LED's. The ones behind the low fuel light and such are LED's, I'm fairly certain.
    nope, all are bulbs, most of them are attached to the circuit board that is on top of the cluster, the bulbs stick through holes above the icon, the low fuel light bulb is on wire leads in a socket, it attaches behind the icon instead of over

Vehicle

this is the LED for my voltage monitor installed in the cluster, the hole just below it and just to the right is the bulb socket for the low fuel indicator

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Anyone have any ideas for performance axles??? I searched, and I found that someone said the DA integra axles are the same length, is this true????
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi Sedan

SE-I rear

regular accord rear

SE-I front

regular accord front
    Shocks and struts and all that are not my strong suite, but from where I'm sitting, they look the same other than one seems to be bearing more weight than the other... I could be completely wrong, and if that is the case, I apologize, but that is what I see.
    ~Storm Plooper~
    Where do you collect unemployment when your job is blown up?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

regular accord rear
    This is not a factory strut, so possibly not a factory spring either. The front springs look the same to me.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Have a few questions:

Ok I checked with my dealer and I can still get Both Sun Roof Sales, But I cant get the under Hood Stickers

Your Looking at $120 + Shipping for new sunroof Seals
    2004-2011?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei View Post
    Ok I checked with my dealer and I can still get Both Sun Roof Sales, But I cant get the under Hood Stickers

Your Looking at $120 + Shipping for new sunroof Seals
    So, I just went through the whole leaking sunroof issue... Have you checked all of the drains? I thought that it was my sunroof that was actually leaking. which is a big deal because I live in Washington and it rains 90% of the year, and I come to find out, after trying everything I could think of, that the drain was clogged and the water couldn't drain out.

There are 4 drains, 2 in the front that go down to the back of the front wheel well and 2 that have hoses that run from the back of the sunroof to the trunk. If you pull off the plastic panels in the trunk and you will see 2 hoses on both sides about half the way back. They come stock with little rubber stoppers in them, which are completely unnecessary, and you can take those out and then use an air compressor to push air from the bottom of the hose to the top, you should hear it at the sunroof. If you don't, just get something slightly strong and long (I used the cable from a weight machine, but you can use a wire coat hangar) and clear out the gunk from the hoses.

This may not be what is wrong with your car, but mine was leaking really bad and I thought there was no way that was the issue, but after doing that a month ago (and about 14 rainy days later) there has been no leaks at all. I hope this helps.
    ~Storm Plooper~

Vehicle

I will give the best answers that I can for some of these...

Have a few questions:

I'm pretty sure that as long as it is not touching rubber, you should be fine. I know that Petroleum Jelly will eat through rubber, so that would be a bad plan, but as far as lubing metal on metal contact, I think the consistency would be sufficient lubrication. If I was to try it, I would do it on one door that is not used regularly (just in case, the driver's side back door) and check it daily for corrosion, but I would think this would be a viable option, if there is no rubber.

Did you know that you can make homemade napalm with Petroleum jelly? Just add a little gas and watch it burn for up to 6 hours... You can also use Styrofoam... So, this may not be a viable option... A nice spark or even a little fire and you just added a heat intensifier and increased the longevity of the fire.

I accidentally responded to the wrong post with an answer for this... Check for my previous post regarding the drains.

I hope that helps in some way.
    ~Storm Plooper~

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas for performance axles??? I searched, and I found that someone said the DA integra axles are the same length, is this true????
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

stormplooper is right , petroleum jelly can be pretty flammable when mixed with gas / toluene / or xylene. Styrofoam can be mixed with acetone and have the same effect.

for the wire splices , i think you are better off with some type of di-electric or connector grease, this stuff is usually cheap and they have it at any auto store in small pouches

regular petroleum jelly will not auto ignite ( well it will as with anything given you provide a sh** load of heat) due to its low VOC and vapor pressure.

but back to the door hinge question, i prefer using moly or lithium grease, they have good sticking properties and wont wash off easily. Powdered graphite will work too but wont last as long.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

I have noticed that my LX-i has a lot of shuttering going on when I am stopped, it does not happen if I am moving, even slowly, but when I stop, sometimes it is just a little, sometimes it is a lot and loud!

My question is, could this be because of some of the motor mounts going bad?

Also, when I shift from into drive, the car jolts forward, what could be causing this and is there a way to tone it down? I'm pretty sure it is just the catching of the tranny to drive, but I was wondering if fixing the motor mounts might help reduce the intensity of the jolting and, if not, what can I do?

Thanks y'all!
    ~Storm Plooper~

Vehicle

white lithium grease on the door hinges, it comes in a tube, as far as the electrical connections use silicone dielectric grease,

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by StormPlooper View Post
    I have noticed that my LX-i has a lot of shuttering going on when I am stopped, it does not happen if I am moving, even slowly, but when I stop, sometimes it is just a little, sometimes it is a lot and loud!

My question is, could this be because of some of the motor mounts going bad?

Also, when I shift from into drive, the car jolts forward, what could be causing this and is there a way to tone it down? I'm pretty sure it is just the catching of the tranny to drive, but I was wondering if fixing the motor mounts might help reduce the intensity of the jolting and, if not, what can I do?

Thanks y'all!

whats your idle rpm? id have to lean toward the mounts needing replacement , just think they probably never were replaced and the car is over 20 years old, bushing don't last forever.

id start with the torque mount on the back of the engine , check that for excessive play then check the front mount

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

3Geez Veteran

1) What causes the oil light to come on when you make a hard corner, or accelerate or decelerate abruptly?

2) What happens mechanically or electronically when you slide the temperature slider side to side?

3) Why does my car make a whoosh sound when I remove the gasoline cap?

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    1) What causes the oil light to come on when you make a hard corner, or accelerate or decelerate abruptly?

2) What happens mechanically or electronically when you slide the temperature slider side to side?

3) Why does my car make a whoosh sound when I remove the gasoline cap?
    To Question #1, on hard acceleration The oil will slush side to side and the oil pickup isnt able to get the oil that it needs

To Question #2 The Temp slider should be connected to a cable that will open and close the heater valve

To Question #3 How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The World May Never know, But any 3rd gen accord I've been near when pulling the gas cap off makes that WOOOSH
    2004-2011?