Thread: Collant hose under intake

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Exclamation Collant hose under intake

its nasty and raining outside and one of these coolant lines decides to pop , its the rubber line right under the intake manifold, i can only see the end of it but not where the other end of the line goes to, whats the easiest way to get to it , going from the underside of the car?

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

Re: Collant hose under intake

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    its nasty and raining outside and one of these coolant lines decides to pop , its the rubber line right under the intake manifold, i can only see the end of it but not where the other end of the line goes to, whats the easiest way to get to it , going from the underside of the car?
    most likely you'll have to remove the air intake box to get more room
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed
    364,XXX and counting :]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

There are a couple that run under the intake. They come out using a precise combination of 1/4" extensions, a u-joint and prolific swearing. Like Tom said, remove the air box and go from the top. I cut the old OEM hose clamps off with a wire cutter and throw them away. Then I swap in normal, non-irritating hose clamps from Napa. They are much easier to work with. Be sure to bleed the cooling system properly when you are done or you will be back trying to figure out why your idle is all messed up.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

thanks snooz. After looking at it its the one line next to the throttle body hose that goes under the intake, the airbox is easy to remove , did that when i put in my alternator. Honda did have a decent design when it came to bleeding the coolant system with that nut on the thermo housing. I think i might try bypassing this hose , it looks like it just goes through the intake and passes out , i see no reason for this.

this is one of those items on the 3g's that i would love to meet then engineer who thought it would be funny to put a part like this in a spot where only a 2 y/o can fit their hands without disassembling a bunch of stuff. He deserves to be strangled.

3Geez resident body man

I believe that the hose you are talking about bypassing is the one that routes some coolant flow from the pipe connecting to the back of the water pump. It connects to one end of the idle air control valve (IACV) so I don't know that bypassing it is such a good idea. I replaced all of mine last year. It took about two hours and, yes, there were a lot of words spoken at high volume that I am glad my kids weren't around to hear. I didn't even remove the air box - probably should have.

Do yourself a favor and get the correct hoses from Honda. For one thing, they did last 20+ years. Secondly, they are molded in the exact shapes you need to fit all those weird places.

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    thanks snooz. After looking at it its the one line next to the throttle body hose that goes under the intake, the airbox is easy to remove , did that when i put in my alternator. Honda did have a decent design when it came to bleeding the coolant system with that nut on the thermo housing. I think i might try bypassing this hose , it looks like it just goes through the intake and passes out , i see no reason for this.

this is one of those items on the 3g's that i would love to meet then engineer who thought it would be funny to put a part like this in a spot where only a 2 y/o can fit their hands without disassembling a bunch of stuff. He deserves to be strangled.
    how i did the by pass is i just took the 2 little hoses off each end of the throttle body and just replaced it with a long hose that went to the iacv and to the tstat housing... the hoses that are going to the throttle body are ment to heat it up... i see that as pointless... so i got rid of it... ill upload pics if you want bro
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

The swearing I did when I replaced the main relay was considerable, but I perservered. After I replaced all the little hoses except "that one" my final swear to my mechanic was "YOU FIX THIS POS." At the time, he said he knew he would be swearing, and later he said it was just as bad as he remembered.

Back in the day, putting in a new power antenna was a swear job for your average stereo store, who maybe didn't know or care to drop the fuse block. By the time I got my car in '01, it needed an antenna, and the first two stores I went to said something to the effect of: "I remember that car....go someplace else!" I took it to the dealer who said he would put in a new mast, but no motor. Really no big deal because you can just reach up anyway.
    Last edited by w261w261; 08-29-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    Back in the day, putting in a new power antenna was a swear job for your average stereo store, who maybe didn't know or care to drop the fuse block. By the time I got my car in '01, it needed an antenna, and the first two stores I went to said something to the effect of: "I remember that car....go someplace else!" I took it to the dealer who said he would put in a new mast, but no motor. Really no big deal because you can just reach up anyway.
    Well, the truth is, even if you get the motorized antenna, you'll still be reaching up there. They get gummed up pretty quickly and require a lot of assistance. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    I believe that the hose you are talking about bypassing is the one that routes some coolant flow from the pipe connecting to the back of the water pump. It connects to one end of the idle air control valve (IACV) so I don't know that bypassing it is such a good idea. I replaced all of mine last year. It took about two hours and, yes, there were a lot of words spoken at high volume that I am glad my kids weren't around to hear. I didn't even remove the air box - probably should have.

Do yourself a favor and get the correct hoses from Honda. For one thing, they did last 20+ years. Secondly, they are molded in the exact shapes you need to fit all those weird places.
    I got all of them, even a F.... little one that attaches to the underside of the intake manifold and apparently feeds some bypass hose that runs atop of the intake manifold that warms up air going to the top of the engine...

If one of those little ones is already gone, then save yourself additional headaches and replace ALL of them. You don't want to get there again... believe me... oopps... us!

I have to remove air box, intake manifold bracket and oil separator box to get enough room to remove the smallest hose down there. Watch out the PCV hose as it will most likely break and they have been discontinued.... tried three stores (two online) and no luck finding one.... so I will have to get there again once I come up with some kind of fabrication for the unavailable pcv hose...
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Glad i found this...

Where do all of the coolant lines run from and to ? I think i have a couple of them wrong ..

Anyone have a link to the pic in the manual i cant find it...Its a 89 Lxi

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Quote Originally Posted by 1987AccordLx-i View Post
    how i did the by pass is i just took the 2 little hoses off each end of the throttle body and just replaced it with a long hose that went to the iacv and to the tstat housing... the hoses that are going to the throttle body are ment to heat it up... i see that as pointless... so i got rid of it... ill upload pics if you want bro
    Please uplaod me a picture of this

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by -$MOKIN- View Post
    Please uplaod me a picture of this
    lets see when my old car comes around(sold to a friend)... i have a new 3gee and i didnt do the mod yet... but ill do it as soon as possible cool?
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

COOL.....I was jsut out there looking at mine.. My first line on from the water pump toob on the water pump side goes to the Iacv then runs to the tps then to the fast idle valve.. then goes down to the thermo housing . the other line thats on the other side of the coolant toob thats on the distributor side just goes up to the bracket then back down to where it all goes into the thermo housing coupler deal...I know i got somthing wrong here.. Im about to just run to the Jy to look and see if i cant get it..I went to the honda dealer and they gave me a parts breakdown of the coolant lines but it doesnt show where they go into the coolant toob. IM liek fuck.. and this serge is gettin on my nerves already...

Im letting it cool down now and im going to replace the upside down F where all the toob runs too beofer it goes into the thermostat..I have a ltitle leak in the bracket...
    I also clipped all the ends on the vacumn toobs.Not for sure if it fixed the problem but im gettin a head ache..

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

it depends on the year if you have the P shaped tube, my 87 had it , my 89 doesn't

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Smile Re: Collant hose under intake

You'll more or less have to remove the POS airbox to get to it. It's a rough one to get too. I just reinstalled my head yesterday after blowing an eristic gasket in like 10 places. Forgot only one line...The same little booger your talking about. I fit my hand right behind the EGR valve under the intake. Hard to reach. Heck of an accomplishment if you can take that hose off and replace it with another in less than a minute. lol
    And the hose clips...little boogers...i taped the hose clips open with a small pair of pliers and electrical tape, put it on the hose and put the hose on the nipple, then tore the tape off the pliers and pull the pliers out. Viola! PITA though
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

I know this thread is old and I don't teach much here, it still might give you some idea.
    https://youtu.be/dCeqOkYdE-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Whats the best replacement size hose for these little bastards?

Meaning non stock replacements.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Whats the best replacement size hose for these little bastards?

Meaning non stock replacements.
    I used this size from Silicone Heater Hose, 0.250" ID, 0.530 OD, 0.140 Wall - Flex Technologies

Worked just fine for all the small ones. No kinks anywhere.