Thread: 84 accord maintenance questions

DX User

84 accord maintenance questions

Hey,

I am about to buy an 84 accord hatchback 5 speed with 99k, before I snag it what maintenance should I expect to have to do with this kind of mileage?\

Thanks,
    Mark

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: 84 accord maintenance questions

I would just say the basics, same as any car really. Thorough tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, air filter, valve adjust. At 99k, it's probably due for a timing belt, even if changed at 60k, it's probably been enough time that a new belt would be good. Then you can change your front main seal and put all new belts on while you're in there. Inspect all your coolant hoses, as I'm sure some of them are probably original and are cracked and ready to burst. A coolant flush while you change the hoses would be good...

It's not so much about the mileage, as it is about the amount of time has passed. It's pretty low miles, which means it may not have been driven much. So seals and rubber parts are likely to be dried out and leaking.

Internally, your engine is probably in fantastic shape, assuming it got so much as regular oil changes. So keep everything else in top shape and you're likely to get another 200k out of the car. Keeping the cooling system working is probably the most important thing you can do for the car, as the heads are very sensitive to overheating and will warp quite a bit easier than other cars.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I would just say the basics, same as any car really. Thorough tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, air filter, valve adjust. At 99k, it's probably due for a timing belt, even if changed at 60k, it's probably been enough time that a new belt would be good. Then you can change your front main seal and put all new belts on while you're in there. Inspect all your coolant hoses, as I'm sure some of them are probably original and are cracked and ready to burst. A coolant flush while you change the hoses would be good...

It's not so much about the mileage, as it is about the amount of time has passed. It's pretty low miles, which means it may not have been driven much. So seals and rubber parts are likely to be dried out and leaking.

Internally, your engine is probably in fantastic shape, assuming it got so much as regular oil changes. So keep everything else in top shape and you're likely to get another 200k out of the car. Keeping the cooling system working is probably the most important thing you can do for the car, as the heads are very sensitive to overheating and will warp quite a bit easier than other cars.
    Alright so I have been looking up the cost of parts for tuning this up. And if anyone could tell me what fluids I need that would be great :P

Transmission Fluid
    Coolant Hoses 25.81 (upper) + 24.41 (lower)= 50.22
    Coolant
    Fuel Filter 12.10
    Spark Plugs 26.12
    Brake Fluid
    Oil Change
    Oil Filter 13.92
    Air Filter 8.94
    Spark Wires 16.48
    Timing 25.44 (tensioner) + 10.74 (belt) = 36.18
    Front main seal 12.03
    Total: 175.99

Water Pump 18.15

Front Caliper Set 1984-85 Honda Accord (With Pads)
    Honda Accord 84-87 Drill Slot Brake Disc Rotors FRONT
    1984 1985 HONDA ACCORD RIGHT FRONT BRAKE HOSE VINTAGE
    1984 1985 HONDA ACCORD LEFT FRONT BRAKE HOSE VINTAGE
    Front Part Cost: 166.39

82 83 84 85 Honda Accord 2 Brake Drum Drums & Shoes
    Centric Parts 118.40008 Drum Brake Hardware Kit
    Bendix 77618 Rear Brake Hose
    12.79 x 2
    Rear Part Cost: 108.90

Grand total: 469.43

Does this sound reasonable lol?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Sounds like a good price to have a car in top notch condition to me.

For transmission fluid, I'd recommend the Honda brand stuff. I dunno what they use in autos, but I have really enjoyed the improvements the Honda MTF gives you over regular 10w-30. It's about $8.00/qt but well worth it.

Always ran Castrol GTX High Mileage in my engine as well. Seemed fine, never really tried anything else. Personally, I just avoid using really cheap oil, though it might be just fine.

I don't know how hard you drive, but honestly think that some blank rotors would be better than drilled/slotted. I really didn't notice any improvement putting them on my car, though they do look great. And I sort of question the integrity of the drilled/slotted rotors.

And if you're redoing the rear brakes, and want a little more bling, you can swap over to the 2g Prelude rear discs. All you need at the wrecking yard is the caliper carrier that bolts onto your hub and the e-brake cables... Then new bearings, rotors, calipers and hoses. Probably be a bit more spendy than just working the drums though, and honestly, I don't see there being a whole lot of improvement in braking.

Definitely a good call on the new brake hoses though. Mine rotted out and I blew one. Just something I had always overlooked, and the more I see at the wreckers, the more I notice rotted lines.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Sounds like a good price to have a car in top notch condition to me.

For transmission fluid, I'd recommend the Honda brand stuff. I dunno what they use in autos, but I have really enjoyed the improvements the Honda MTF gives you over regular 10w-30. It's about $8.00/qt but well worth it.

Always ran Castrol GTX High Mileage in my engine as well. Seemed fine, never really tried anything else. Personally, I just avoid using really cheap oil, though it might be just fine.

I don't know how hard you drive, but honestly think that some blank rotors would be better than drilled/slotted. I really didn't notice any improvement putting them on my car, though they do look great. And I sort of question the integrity of the drilled/slotted rotors.

And if you're redoing the rear brakes, and want a little more bling, you can swap over to the 2g Prelude rear discs. All you need at the wrecking yard is the caliper carrier that bolts onto your hub and the e-brake cables... Then new bearings, rotors, calipers and hoses. Probably be a bit more spendy than just working the drums though, and honestly, I don't see there being a whole lot of improvement in braking.

Definitely a good call on the new brake hoses though. Mine rotted out and I blew one. Just something I had always overlooked, and the more I see at the wreckers, the more I notice rotted lines.
    Looks like I have some ordering to do when my car arrives.

As far as volume do you know how much MT fluid and oil these cars take? Sorry for the noob questions I just want to make sure I have all the right numbers.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by elitegunslinger View Post
    Looks like I have some ordering to do when my car arrives.

As far as volume do you know how much MT fluid and oil these cars take? Sorry for the noob questions I just want to make sure I have all the right numbers.
    Also for rust removal any pointers or should I bring it to a body shop?