Thread: Inner tie rods

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX 2dr

Inner tie rods

Can the inner tie rods be removed without renting a special tool and does one inner tie rod tool work with all inner tie rods?

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Re: Inner tie rods

Quote Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
    Can the inner tie rods be removed without renting a special tool and does one inner tie rod tool work with all inner tie rods?
    The location makes it hard to use other tools. My next tool of choice would be a large crow foot wrench. I've seen some ppl talk on here about using a large open end wrench &/ cresent wrench to get theirs off. Some parts stores rent the inner tie rod end removal tool. If I remember right, it's somewhere around 32 mm.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 10-02-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spl

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

everytime i've had to do rack ends, i've used a set of 12 inch vice grips with great success.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 manual LX-I hatchback(awaiting motor swap :P), 1989 auto LX-I(parting out), 1988 manual LX-I sedan (rip)

you dont need any special tools, i rented 2 different kits thinking i needed one, and none of them fit at all..

i just used an open ended wrench, cant remember the size, but make sure you put the boot back on afterwards or your rack will prematurity wear out!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX 2dr

Quote Originally Posted by luvestoospooge View Post
    you dont need any special tools, i rented 2 different kits thinking i needed one, and none of them fit at all..

i just used an open ended wrench, cant remember the size, but make sure you put the boot back on afterwards or your rack will prematurity wear out!
    I'll have to climb under and take a peek. I just noticed the inner driverside was junk when i was doing the outers.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if the inner tie rods are shot, you might be better off to just get a rebuilt rack and replace the entire thing. by the time you buy the tie rods, boots, etc. and go to all the trouble, you could have swapped in a rebuilt.