Thread: Need carb advice and can't aford Weber

DX User

Need carb advice and can't aford Weber

I race my 87 accord dx auto trans on pavement ovals. I am currently running the stock Kliehn carb. I need to upgrade but can't aford to go the Weber route. I have two carbs I obtained from my grandfather who was a mechanic. I have a Holley 4412 (500 CFM) and a Motorcraft 2150A (286 CFM). Has anyone had any success adapting one of these two carbs. I can't really afford to lose bottom end torque so I think the Holley could be out. Would the Motorcraft be an upgrade from stock carb? Any chance it could work? Any advice is welcome!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

Re: Need carb advice and can't aford Weber

If you want something cheap, and aren't afraid to do some custom fabbing then I'd suggest quad bike carbs. That is if the rules allow you to switch to multiple carbs for the racing you're doing.

I'm running quad keihin cv carbs from a cbr900, and they're amazing. Snappy throttle response, and lots of low end torque. I use my car for autocrossing, but I know a guy that runs quad mikuni cv carbs and he does circle track racing, so I imagine they would work great for what you're.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Ive had pretty good luck finding webers in the junkyard. They were used a lot to replace oem so if that sounds like something you would do just look under the hood of mini trucks, opals, really about any subcompact vehicle made in the carb days and you may get lucky.
    As for the Holley, you can jet those to suit your application. The weber 38 I use is a streight up two barrel non progressive and it opened up gobs n gobs of low end torque when I put it on a stock A20A1. It totally seemed like an entirely different motor and that was the only modification other the cut out intake that made it single plane "spread bore"

asphalt circle track? lost a wheel yet? lol.

DX User

Yeah I was going to search my local junkyards but i wasn't sure what i could find. If I can get something there it would be best. If not, I'm hoping to the Motorcraft will work. The barrel diameters are 36 mm and it is syncronous. I think that could put it in between a weber 32/36 and 38.

It is asphalt. No I haven't lost a wheel yet.

I like the motorcyce carb idea, but rules state it must be 2 bbl carb.
    Last edited by jwm1120; 10-20-2010 at 04:55 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

There was somebody here a while back that did the motorcraft carb, I will see if I can find it, they provided very little info though.
    They used it on the 2.8 & 2.9 capri /mustang/bronco II motors after they stopped using webers so if that is any indication it may be feesable.

Ive seen the right front wheel come off a few times on these on the racetrack so you might want to consider using regular lug nuts not acorn style.

DX User

thanks for the heads up. i have seen a couple guys lose wheels and smash the wall hard too. doesn't look like fun.