Thread: Question: Front LCA outer bushing change

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Question: Front LCA outer bushing change

Can I change this bushing while the front LCA is still bolted to the subframe/unibody?

Got the dreaded "bolt stuck in damper fork" and had to cut, now i need to press out the old bushing (should be easy, it's like mush in there) and then press in a new one. I do NOT want to completely remove the LCA because i'm guessing that bolt is dickered too....and i don't want to open another can of worms.

long story short: can i press out/in the damper fork/LCA outer bushing with the LCA still attached to the car?

Thanks in advance gentlemen!
    There are rules here!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Question: Front LCA outer bushing change

All things are possible...

You will probably have to spend some time finding the right tools to do it on the car. Obviously, you aren't going to be able to fit a 100 ton hydraulic press under there, so you're going to be doing it the old-fashioned way, with brute force and something like one of these:

Honestly, if things are really corroded under there, then you will have an enormous fight on your hands, even if you have it out of the car. Having it in the car will only make things harder. Douse it real good with PB Blaster for several days beforehand and let 'er rip.

If you can't do it, then you can always go back to pulling it out of the car.

Good luck with that one. There are many horror stories on here about those LCA bushings.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

this is honestly rediculous.

that bushing will NOT come out of the LCA. the LCA will NOT come out of the car, the bolt will start backing out of the LCA mount to the car, but it just starts bending the mount because obviously it's just as seized as the other one.

does everyone seriously just cut the bolts and replace the LCA? that's pretty rediculous to have to be done just to change a little halfshaft. what a poor design.

anyone with some serious tips will be much appreciated. i know someone else has done this before, it seems like an incredibly common problem with these hunks
    There are rules here!

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by 4literranger485 View Post
    does everyone seriously just cut the bolts and replace the LCA? that's pretty rediculous to have to be done just to change a little halfshaft. what a poor design.

The design is fine, it's just that it's 20+ years old and has probably never been apart for service. Around here cars are lucky to last more than 15 years without massive rust from road salt.

If those bolts are really seized up then it's easiest to cut them out and get new ones. With the arms out, use a torch to burn the rubber out of the bushings. It's stinky and messy but kind of fun because you get to play with fire. With the center sleeve and rubber out use a hacksaw blade to cut a slit in the outer sleeve so it loosens up enough to come out. Be careful not to cut into the arm itself though. Now the new bushings can be pressed in. They're tight so probably it will take a hydraulic press and not just pounding with a hammer.

C|

Vehicle
    2000 Powerstroke 1988 LXI sedan

I found it eaiser to cut what needed to be cut then go to a pull a part and buy a entire new old part with all the bolts for 20 bucks or so. But be careful not to damage the crosmember as it is pretty cheap to buy but a lot harder to replace.
    Mike C in NC USA

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I happened to walk up to a smoldering little fireball as my mechanic was burning out the rubber bushing. It gave me a start, that's for sure.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by hammer3rd View Post
    I found it eaiser to cut what needed to be cut then go to a pull a part and buy a entire new old part with all the bolts for 20 bucks or so. But be careful not to damage the crosmember as it is pretty cheap to buy but a lot harder to replace.
    got an LCA with bushings on the way for $20. i noticed the bolts inside the bushing sleeve are somewhat fluted (wtf over?) that just seems like the perfect way to get more moisture in and aid in corrosion

i'm gonna put a freakin' jug of anti-seize on each bolt.

I'm just bummed that this seemingly easy task turned into days of work, it's really making me think twice about switching out the struts to tokico's and drop springs
    There are rules here!

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

got an LCA with bushings on the way for $20. i noticed the bolts inside the bushing sleeve are somewhat fluted (wtf over?) that just seems like the perfect way to get more moisture in and aid in corrosion

I'm just bummed that this seemingly easy task turned into days of work, it's really making me think twice about switching out the struts to tokico's and drop springs
    You so realize how old that car is, right? Do you live in a high humidity, area, or close to the ocean? Ive replaced LCA's on 4 different 3Geez here in Texas, and not once had that problem. Honda can't protect against everything, the fact that a 20+ year old car still has the factory bushings is rather amazing!
    Last edited by Legend_master; 10-27-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

southern california, mojave desert. it's quite dry

stock bushings....amazing, or insane! one of the two. those things we're probably shot over 100k miles ago
    There are rules here!

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

southern california, mojave desert. it's quite dry

stock bushings....amazing, or insane! one of the two. those things we're probably shot over 100k miles ago
    That is strange, would not expect very much rust in the Mojave desert . At least the parts are cheap!
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

The fluted bolts are odd. Not sure what the purpose was for those.
    And yeah, anti-seize is our savior. Once you get it apart the first time, it's easy from then on.

C|

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    That is strange, would not expect very much rust in the Mojave desert . At least the parts are cheap!

way to be a "glass half full" guy Got the LCA with bushings on ebay for $20. should arrive tomorrow, and hopefully i'll be driving the beast this weekend. I'm sick of putting gas in my truck already
    There are rules here!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Alright, got this thing back together last friday when my arm arrived. WOW what a royal PITA

Now it appears to be leaking a bit of gear oil, it does not appear to be coming out of the axle seal area.

My question is: I filled the manual trans with the left side of the vehicle jacked up, could this have possibly allowed me to overfill the trans? and If so, is there some sort of breather hole that will stop peeing out synchromesh when the level is appropriate?

thanks in advance gentleman!
    There are rules here!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You probably did overfill, but there is a breather hose on the trans. Make sure that it is what is leaking and not something else. You don't want to drain the thing dry and burn it up.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    You probably did overfill, but there is a breather hose on the trans. Make sure that it is what is leaking and not something else. You don't want to drain the thing dry and burn it up.
    i'm keeping an eye on it, it's not a ton of fluid under there. i'll notice if 2.5 quarts comes out

thanks for the answer/reply man!
    There are rules here!