Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    rofl!!!
    '88 Accord 2.0L Carb 164K Original Miles 5-speed K&N Royal Purple

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

Thumbs up Re: K&N air filter does not fit, don't buy it

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I think you are right, I didn't think of that, does it attach to the air inlet on the air cleaner? that just pulls hot air from around the manifold when the inlet air is too cold
    I see, I see... so there's not even any exhaust gas in that thing, okay, that makes sense, and perhaps is there as well to help get the exhaust/engine components to the proper operating temperature on cold starts...?

Thx
    Last edited by pressed001; 11-12-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: exhaust/engine components, I'm a dill hole

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: K&N air filter does not fit, don't buy it

Quote Originally Posted by pressed001 View Post
    I see, I see... so there's not even any exhaust gas in that thing, okay, that makes sense, and perhaps is there as well to help get the exhaust/engine components to the proper operating temperature on cold starts...?

Thx
    on that engine, when it's cold, a mechanical thermostat in the air cleaner closes an air bleed, when this bleed closes, the vacuum motor right above that hose, the round thing, pulls an air door up, blocking off air flow from the inlet hose, and causing the engine to pull warm air from around the exhaust manifold, this thermostat works all the time allowing a mix of hot and cold air, to keep the inlet temperature to the carb around 90. when the temp gets too high, the air bleed opens, allowing the door to close, when it's too cold it closes allowing it to rise. on about 90 percent of these cars that vacuum motor is bad, the carb also has an electrically heated base plate, the air fuel mixture goes through a heated grid, this is controlled by a timer under the passenger seat. the carb itself actually has a coolant passage in it, coolant flows from the manifold itself, to the base of the carburetor, through the carb body, and out a hose on the back of the carb back to the cooling system. there is also a thermostat inline with the hose from the carb base. that system is a source of contention with anyone who owns a carb model, and of course coolant flows through the manifold.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

Cheers! That is fantabulous knowledge! And probably explains some of the quirks I've seen w/ this engine.

Thank you sir!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

Unhappy Re: K&N air filter does not fit, don't buy it

I wasn't kidding about the bike thing!
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2056271508.html
    I'ma gunna mis 'er!

Vehicle

Cheers! That is fantabulous knowledge! And probably explains some of the quirks I've seen w/ this engine.

Thank you sir!
    this is why I got rid of the factory carb, after 25 years all this carefully synchronized stuff goes haywire, there are a lot of vacuum hoses, vacuum motors, valves, sensors, thermostats, solenoids, etc, after 25 years they all go pretty crazy and it's almost impossible to fix, there are also items such as the power valve built into the carb top hat, it can't be serviced, except maby by a specialty re builder. a lot of the rebuilders manufacture their own replacement parts, and diaphragms, since many of the factory parts are discontinued

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

Yeah, it would be a PITA to fix all that and get it working perfectly. I'm just glad mine runs reliably!

Vehicle

Yeah, it would be a PITA to fix all that and get it working perfectly. I'm just glad mine runs reliably!
    be glad you aren't in cali, they expect all that to work, even without parts available. they got rid of the rolling exemption. I don't know why they can't exempt cars with these nightmare control systems when parts aren't made, you can make an aftermarket carb pass the sniffer test, but it won't pass visual, whats the difference? it's the same thing coming out the other end. I'm glad I don't live there

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Rules

Rule #1: Buy a 3G Accord, we all know the reasons.
    Rule #2: Don't buy a carb version. 20 less horses, 20x the hassles.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Re: Rules

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    Rule #1: Buy a 3G Accord, we all know the reasons.
    Rule #2: Don't buy a carb version. 20 less horses, 20x the hassles.
    Not entirely true, my carbed 3g has way less vacuum hoses and stuff than my EFI one, both are stock. No emissions stuff ftw, doesn't even have a black box

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX , 2009 Honda Ridgeline & 2005 Honda Civic (1987 Accord LX - RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Nafs Asdf View Post
    Not entirely true, my carbed 3g has way less vacuum hoses and stuff than my EFI one, both are stock. No emissions stuff ftw, doesn't even have a black box

What a nice engine you have without the black hose rubber jungle under the hood. Must be nice!
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You'll not live long enough to make them all yourself.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

I was gonna say, nice engine bay Nafs Adsf!
    lostforawhile: wouldn't you think there would be some type of government incentive in CA so that ppl who don't have much cash (like me) could sell the car to the state and get a newer more smog compliant vehicle. I find it hard to believe they don't have a program like that that's active. I think there used to be...dunno though... I didn't know they got rid of that exemption. I used to live there, fortunately not long enough so that I had to get a smog check. I would have failed miserably w/ the 3" straight tube I had fabbed for my turbo vw. Ahh....I miss turbo... ;.{

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord 2.0L Carb

Those clips on the perimeter of the airbox in the pic above, I couldn't even snap shut after installing the K&N. And! You were right, I was wrong lostforawhile, there looks to be a valve that opens and closes that exhaust hose I was talking about, you can see it in the pic above too. It's right below the airbox (in pic up there) right before the turn where the air cleaner goes into the fenderwell, there's a small vacuum tube that opens and closes it. So, I guess you learn (I learn) something new every day.

Thanks!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

wouldn't you think there would be some type of government incentive in CA so that ppl who don't have much cash (like me) could sell the car to the state and get a newer more smog compliant vehicle.
    There is a program.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...CAP%20FAQs.pdf

It seems there are a lot of misconceptions about California out there. (Lost, I'm looking in your direction.) The smog check gets billed as this horribly onerous burden imposed on everyone by jack-booted thugs brandishing assault rifles. The truth is that if you keep your car in good repair and running right, you won't have problems getting through it. In most cases, you can even modify the car with aftermarket performance parts and not get into trouble. California maintains a list of smog-approved aftermarket upgrades (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php). If nothing there suits your fancy, you can still swap for non-approved parts and sneak through the inspections. The smog check starts with a visual inspection of the vehicle. The tech knows what smog control systems came on the car from the factory (EGR, catalytic converter, smog pump, etc.) In the visual inspection, he will look briefly to make sure they haven't been removed or disabled. The tech will very rarely know if you have a non-approved aftermarket part on your car, so you can usually sneak by that part. The second part of the test is a tailpipe sniffer test done on a dyno. The sniffer measures 3 components: hydrocarbons (unburned fuel), nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide. In a properly running engine, these gases will be low and in balance. If your tailpipe emissions are within spec and you pass the visual inspection, you will pass. If you have all the factory smog systems in place and working and the car is in good repair, your tailpipe emissions won't be a problem.

Those of you who congratulate yourselves on not living in California should really think again. My brother used to call from Texas to brag about how they didn't have smog checks. When Texas started implementing smog checks, he called to brag that they didn't have dyno tests. Now that Texas has dyno checks, he doesn't brag anymore.

California has always been about 20 years ahead of the rest of the nation. California's problems today will be everybody else's within 20 years. We have smog checks because we like to breathe clean air. When your air turns dirty, you'll be glad for smog checks too.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 11-12-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh yeah, O-Reilly's carries Wix filters now.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW