Thread: High idle,brakes, power steering

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Dx

High idle,brakes, power steering

alright so my girlfriend bought an accord 89 dx carb obviously im new to this whole honda small mtor thing (no offense just use to chevy,dodge stuff)

anways shes got a couple issues and she doesnt get it on the road for about a month or to so i want to cover this stuff now

1. so she has this high idle when she first starts it and ive used the search and from what you guys say thats normal so ill take your word for it for now

2. for some reason when shes just doing small turns like backing up or foward her steering goes in and out which i believe is just the pump which aint to bad but i just want some opinions just incase

3. when she was driving the car home she said that when she was driving that when the car would try to come out of first gear its an auto by the way
    when she was coming out of first gear into second she said she has to let off the gas and then it goes in but it kinda nudges the car foward once agian opinions

4. and when she hits the brakes when idleing her cars seems to almost bogg out and stall but from what ive searched its the check valce on the brake booster hose

besides that does anyone make an intake maybe a decent exhaust?
    its her daily driver but if im gonna be fixing it im gonna have some fun with it

and wats everyone doing for apperance stuff ??

thanks
    Girlfriends DD: 1989 Accord dx Carb 109,xxx

Mine: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited v8 with some goodies

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: High idle,brakes, power steering

I would try a good WD40 of all carb linkages and check for any sucked together vacuum hoses or leaking vaccum. That would produce all of those symtoms. If the car is stuck on fast idle (choke cycle) then it will also hold the transmission throttle valve cable up which would produce different shift points.
    And when the car is cold, yes when you mash the brakes you will get a vacuum surge so vacuum operated things involving the carb will act differently. I wouldnt repl check valve quite yet.
    Intakes, well those are mostly fabircated around here for the carb cars. I think you can use a 88 or so Civic breather and make something better with it.
    I recommend doing a 32/36 weber swap though which eliminates 99% of all the mystery junk under the hood!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Jon20683 View Post
    1. so she has this high idle when she first starts it and ive used the search and from what you guys say thats normal so ill take your word for it for now
    I would start with some carb cleaner and then some minor adjustment. How high is it?

2. for some reason when shes just doing small turns like backing up or foward her steering goes in and out which i believe is just the pump which aint to bad but i just want some opinions just incase
    I'm not sure how far gone it is, but you might be able to smooth it out with a few oil changes. Start by flushing all the old PS fluid and refilling with fresh fluid. It will turn black again in about 2 minutes, so flush again. Repeat a few times until it gets better. ONLY USE HONDA PS FLUID!!! If you don't, all the rack seals will dissolve and you'll have a big mess.

3. when she was driving the car home she said that when she was driving that when the car would try to come out of first gear its an auto by the way
    when she was coming out of first gear into second she said she has to let off the gas and then it goes in but it kinda nudges the car foward once agian opinions
    That is probably just dirty oil. I would start with a flush.

It sounds like, if you haven't already, a good tune up and some general TLC is in order. A lot of strange symptoms can come from simple neglect.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Dx

i took some carb cleaner the first day i looked at it

she starts the car and the idle will gradually go up to about 2500 rpms then after a while of leaving it alone ill hit the gas and itll go down to about 1000 or so depending how long i let it sit for

defineitly on the tune up id do that even if it was a month old just to make me feel better about the car

snooz you said the oil you mean tranny fluid or actual oil? how do you check the tranny fluid in theses things just like regalr cars ?? running in neatral??

i dunno about the power steering ill try the flush as its blacker than black as it is but i dont know if thatll fix it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Dx

oh and or the intake got any pics so i know what im looking foward to thanks

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

oh and or the intake got any pics so i know what im looking foward to thanks
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38108

...also a few other threads you may find pretty interesting in the FAQ section and How to section, actually better how to's in the FAQ if you ask me....
    There is the flipped lid mod too that is no cost involved.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Dx

ok so she got her accord on the road yesterday replaced the black air filter, that shit was disgusting

havent touched the power steering yet but im pretty sure its the fluid it only does the partial turn when either in park or turning whil moving very slowly my jeep was like that and i replaced the fluid because i was doing every fluid and it stopped accidentally

defenitly replacing the check valve i pretty sure its a dealer only part so ill go check that out and i read up alot on this site and found that her fast idle valve might need a cleaning and this is cuasing her rpms to go higher than usual and cuasing her shifts to be harder which is common sense.
    ill report back thanks guys

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Dx

so just thought id update this a little for some extra help so shes had it for a while now i replaced her spark plugs/wires cap rotor grabbed 5 or six check valves from the junkyard and found a couple good ones so her brakes are fine her steering is stil kinda working on it just havent had time to look at it to bussy building the jeep anways how can i completely flush her antifreeze i did the whole drain screw thing for 2 hours and the antifreeze is still pretty rusty in her radiator.. should i just unscrew the bleeder and sit there with water till its clear???

still trying to figure out her tranny the fluid looks fine but still acts funny

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

The power steering could be the belt slipping. Mine did that (when wet) until I replaced and tightened the belt. Always good to check the easy stuff first....

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

so just thought id update this a little for some extra help so shes had it for a while now i replaced her spark plugs/wires cap rotor grabbed 5 or six check valves from the junkyard and found a couple good ones so her brakes are fine her steering is stil kinda working on it just havent had time to look at it to bussy building the jeep anways how can i completely flush her antifreeze i did the whole drain screw thing for 2 hours and the antifreeze is still pretty rusty in her radiator.. should i just unscrew the bleeder and sit there with water till its clear???

still trying to figure out her tranny the fluid looks fine but still acts funny
    There is supposedly a block drain bolt behind the exhaust manifold. Flushing is also good, but won't get it all. At least not the first few times. I finally got rid of my rusty coolant when I had replaced just about every part in the cooling system. The heater core is still original, but that's it.

Have you adjusted the TV cable for the trans yet?

Glad to hear the car is running better.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW