Thread: Tranny swap

Vehicle
    93 EG sedan*sold* 93 prelude*sold* 90 EF sedan*sold* DA integra *totaled R.I.P.* -93 EG sedan -83 SZ accord sedan

Tranny swap

Ok so im doing a tranny swap on my 2g (auto to manual) im thinking that i should just swap the trannys out but i was just going to do the whole motor also.
    The delima that i am having comes into play when i noticed that one is low altitude emissions and the other is high altitude. From the looks of it there is no where to attach the extra emissions parts and there is alot of extra vac lines and other things.

Would the one hooked to the auto trans be better to use anyways? i mean both cars were owned by older people and probly werent romped on but what would be the wise thing to do?
    Both motors run good and i just dont know what to do with the extra emission stuff.
    Swap or not to swap that is the question
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Tranny swap

No real reason to swap out a perfectly good motor. Keep the other and build it up into something special that you can be excited about.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    93 EG sedan*sold* 93 prelude*sold* 90 EF sedan*sold* DA integra *totaled R.I.P.* -93 EG sedan -83 SZ accord sedan

Good point, but what about all the "high altitude" contraptions?? Is that just some extra that i will be taking off if i was to get a weber?
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

The blocks should be the same. So if you take off the manifolds and all the emissions crap, you should be able to use whatever you want on either motor. I would suggest using the manifolds / emissions / etc off of your original motor, since your car will have all the provisions for it, and just swap out the block.

And yes, if you get a Weber, you will be junking all that stuff anyways.

Vehicle

makes sense, i was happy to find out that once i removed the automatic shifter and the cable from the car that i am making a 5 speed everything bolted right up! i wasn't expecting that!

I noticed though i was getting ready to swap the pedals out and while looking at the 5 speed setup it has some kind of plug on the clutch pedal... Same with the brake but different, will it matter if the auto doesnt have a plug for it??
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What year car is the pedal box coming out of?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Its the same a 4dr 83' same as the one that im putting it into.. I havent looked yet to see if there is a plug for the clutch but im guessing that since its an auto there wont be one...
    -MALACHi

Vehicle

You'll have to swap out the whole pedal cluster. That's pretty much the only way to get the clutch pedal in your car. The new one should bolt right in though. IMO it's the most difficult part of the swap.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    You'll have to swap out the whole pedal cluster. That's pretty much the only way to get the clutch pedal in your car. The new one should bolt right in though. IMO it's the most difficult part of the swap.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Yeah i know i already got the pedals out of the 5 speed and it wasn't easy,, im about to put them in right now. So i take it that the plug doesnt need to plug into anything?? ill post a pic a little later, for now i wanna get this thing back together.
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rideordie12 View Post
    makes sense, i was happy to find out that once i removed the automatic shifter and the cable from the car that i am making a 5 speed everything bolted right up! i wasn't expecting that!

I noticed though i was getting ready to swap the pedals out and while looking at the 5 speed setup it has some kind of plug on the clutch pedal... Same with the brake but different, will it matter if the auto doesnt have a plug for it??
    Do you mean like a neutral safety switch? Probably looks just like the brake light switch on the brake pedal? Canadian cars didn't have those...
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Yes! exactly, i got to looking at it before i put it in and figured thats what it was,. On the other hand i was happy to see that there was a plug for it!! EVEN BETTER!! so i got the pedals in no problem and pretty much returned to degreasing the motor and engine bay before i drop it back in (Weather permitting since im outside)
    -MALACHi

Vehicle

It had a clutch safety switch? Neither of my Accords have em. Even the 84, I didn't think they came out until like 88 or 89.... There is a huge harness that goes to the auto shifter that you can pull out though.

Vehicle

Hmmm, thats weird ill post a pic of it tomorrow, thats strange that mine has it but the newer ones dont...

I didnt decide to take the auto harness out since i figured that i would have to pull the carpet up to get it all out so i just tucked them under the center councel and called it good for now.
    I think im going to get black carpet here soon and then work up. (seats, door panels and then headliner) so ill pull it when i do the carpet.

really looking forward to having it all back together and running tomorrow if its decent outside
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    It had a clutch safety switch? Neither of my Accords have em. Even the 84, I didn't think they came out until like 88 or 89.... There is a huge harness that goes to the auto shifter that you can pull out though.
    I was thinking it was an interlock too, but then I realized it was only in 88 or so that the clutch interlock appeared on these. At least in the US. You don't suppose that it was a cutoff for the cruise control do you? I'm curious to see photos.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Not sure,,. Could be but i wouldnt think so. its a two prong plug... anyways ill post pics tomorrow to better explain
    -MALACHi

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I was thinking it was an interlock too, but then I realized it was only in 88 or so that the clutch interlock appeared on these. At least in the US. You don't suppose that it was a cutoff for the cruise control do you? I'm curious to see photos.
    Betcha it is, I was gonna mention that but forgot, chemo brain...woops.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Oooh yeah. Forgot about the cruise cutoff switch...

Vehicle

Well i got it finished today runs great and sounds sick too i punched the cat and side piped it , The trottle cable is kinda sticky i think and it takes a second to drop back down but i just added another spring on the pedal and it helps some.

For some reason i cant get the pics to load but i will post some as soon as im able
    -MALACHi

Vehicle

A beautiful sight

after the test drive

i ended up having to take the sensor strip outta the auto shifter and and plug it in while in park so that i could start the car but no biggie, oh and i donno if its a good thing or not but im able to start the car without the clutch in....

i gotta find the pic of the plug on the pedals but ill have it later or tomorrow
    Last edited by rideordie12; 12-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    -MALACHi

Vehicle

For the gear selector harness, just cut it all the way back, and loop that big black wire with the white stripe onto itself. That bypasses the whole neutral/park selector. And yes, you should be able to start it without the clutch in. Congrats on the successful swap!! Makes the car WAY more fun to drive! The plug should only be for cruise control. If you push the clutch while cruise is on, it will kick off.

So your parts car, it's blue, is the interior blue as well? Any pics? How does it look?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Here are some notes I made on the wiring after my 3g swap. Maybe it will help.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...=notes+mt+swap
    Dr_Snooz