Thread: Intake Air Temp. Gauges Worth It?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Question Intake Air Temp. Gauges Worth It?

The Fact That It's Currently 37* Outside, And The Trip I Took A Year Ago To SC That Was 21* All The Way There Made Me Wonder About These. I Really Wonder What The Intake Temp Is Alot With The DIY CAI Wrapped In Exhaust Wrap, Quite Often. Think It's Worth It? Anyone Ever Tinkered With One/Own One?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...roducts_id=800
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

DX User

Re: Intake Air Temp. Gauges Worth It?

i have one on my mustang, but thats bc its a s/c car. they are easy to hook up and mine was about $50 and is digital. if ya got the money then do it to compare b4 an afters, otherwise i wouldnt. °27 here in NC and my "iat" still runs °110 with a cai.

Vehicle

Ah, Ok. That's Somewhat Answers My Question I Believe. Thank You.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EX-i AT

That gauge wouldnt help here ... 0 degrees F is nothing..
    I dont know what the idea is though.. what would it be used for?
    170 156.5km | 12 348.6km

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I like gauges. I love being able to see everything that's going on inside my engine. Even if it really won't help me. I dunno why, nerd thing I guess. An IAT gauge would really tell you where the best placement would be for your intake. Let you do adjustments, tweaks, and see what gives you the best results. It's all about getting real data and being able to see direct results of your modifications. You might not get any real performance benefit from it, but it's a good tool to help you learn.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

ON a carb car i might worry about it if you are concerned about carb ice, but not so much with FI, gauges are cool though, at least I know my altitude

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Its not a 3g, but this guy went all out modding his intake to lower the temps. Its what i plan on doing to my car instead of paying 300 bucks for a CAI. If nothing else its a good read

http://doctorisotope.com/the_gfi

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cubert View Post
    Its not a 3g, but this guy went all out modding his intake to lower the temps. Its what i plan on doing to my car instead of paying 300 bucks for a CAI. If nothing else its a good read

http://doctorisotope.com/the_gfi
    you can coat them with lizard skin, but it's expensive, one of the best heat barriers out there, I wish they sold it in smaller quantities, this would be something to get several people together to split the cost http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIZ-50100/
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 12-15-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Vehicle

Smile Re: Intake Air Temp. Gauges Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I like gauges. I love being able to see everything that's going on inside my engine. Even if it really won't help me. I dunno why, nerd thing I guess. An IAT gauge would really tell you where the best placement would be for your intake. Let you do adjustments, tweaks, and see what gives you the best results. It's all about getting real data and being able to see direct results of your modifications. You might not get any real performance benefit from it, but it's a good tool to help you learn.
    I'm Exactly Like You. Who Wouldn't Really Want To Know What's Going On Under The Hood, Especially While You're Driving? My Buddies B18C4 EF Hatch Has Like 10 Additional Gauges. I Think It's Quite Nifty. You Can Really Tell When Things Are Happening Much Easier, And Possibly Prevent Something Bad From Happening. I Guess It Is A Nerd Thing, But, From Time To Time, I Drive Our Engine Companies w/Detroit 8v92's And They Have A TON Of Gauges Like Planes, From Trans. Temp, Coolant Temp., Air Press., Each Battery And Alt. Has A Voltometer, Fuel Pres., Cyl. Head Temp, To Even Water GPM, Pump Temp etc. All From Inside The Cab Of The Truck, And Let Me Tell Ya, Without Alot Of Those Gauges I'd Be Up Shit Creek Without A Paddle, Though There's A Huge Diff. Between A Big Red Truck And Honda Like Comparing The Millenium Falcon To An X-Wing. I Still Love How It's So Informative Inside The Truck, vs. Just Having A Speedo(That's 15mph Faster Than It Should Be According To An Alabama State Trooper), Tach, Water Temp(That Doesn't Even Have Written Temps) And A Handy Dandy Gas Gauge. The IAT On The Fire Truck Was Added Awhile Back By A Mechanic For Him To Use Doing Maintainance. He Uses It More Than We Do. But, I Do Watch It As The Truck Accelerates And The Temp Usually Goes Down Alittle The More It Accelerates.

I See How It'd Be Perfect To Help With Building A CAI. That's Pretty Much Exactly What I Wanted/Needed To Know. Apart From Our Mechanic Installing/Using It, I've Really Never Seen One Before.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

And The Simple Fact That Glowshift Sells Tinted Gauges That Will Light Up Pink Makes Everything So Much Better.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

a water pressure warning lamp will tell you quick if you break a coolant hose or something, before the temp gauge shoots up. the cooling system runs on a set pressure, if that pressure drops the lamp comes on, or the gauge drops

Vehicle

Cool Re: Intake Air Temp. Gauges Worth It?

Ah, I Noticed This When I Hauled Butt Up My Mountain And The Upper Radiator Hose Blew Off The Water Pipe. Fail On My Part. Forgot To Snug The Clamp.

On My Way To SC, While It Was 21*, I Noticed With The Aftermarket Thermostat Opening At 165*, My Temp Gauge Stayed On The Bottom White Line The Whole Way There. I Stopped At A Gas Station, Revved It To 4k And Sat And It Finally Moved Up Alittle So I Knew Nothing Was Wrong With The Gauge. I Would Much Prefer This http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/red-d...ure-gauge.aspx Over The Stock Gauge Anyday, Which I'll Be Attaining Christmas Eve Day.

And This One Will Be Ordered Within The Next Week Or So
    http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/red-d...ure-gauge.aspx
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

I Now Have A Red Digi Voltometer And A Tinted Series Fuel Pressure Gauge.
    Now To Attain A Honda Banjo Bolt With 1/8" NPT Adapter From Amazon For $9.95.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I agree with 2ndGG, it is all about gathering data for analysis. Not so much to do with constant vital signs monitoring as you drive.

Placement of the sender is important as well, if there is a blockage around the intake manifold or air in the system you will have erratic temp readings becasue the sender is in the intake manifold.