Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '89 32/36 Weber DFAV rebuild and Conversion

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: '89 32/36 Weber DFAV rebuild and Conversion

you can probably have the timing set with a few more degrees of advance than the factory says with your current set up, makes a huge difference but dont giver too much to get preignition etc..
    Awesome you got the problem figured out, congrats!

DX User

I just made my first long trip after the swap. Initial impressions, I'm VERY happy with the swap and am glad that I did it. I was able to maintain speed on the highway and accelerate up hills (that never happened before). It is very smooth running and easier on the gas. The fuel economy was one of my main goals with this swap so here it is...

Brand new spark plugs
    Fresh oil change
    Tire pressure at 36 psi all the way around
    17* of timing advance
    ~150 lb of stuff plus myself (180 lb)
    Straight highway miles
    Average speed 75 mph

208 miles
    8 gallons
    = 26 mpg

**** When I filled up initially it seemed that the gas pump clicked off early, then when I filled up at the end the gas pump overfilled it and some gas actually ran out. This is skewing this test some but 26 mpg is the worst case.

I have my jet sizes written down somewhere so I'll update this with those later.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this thus far. I still have some tweaking to do and I would be perfectly happy with 30 mpg on the highway.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by integratuner77 View Post
    Brand new spark plugs
    Fresh oil change
    Tire pressure at 36 psi all the way around
    17* of timing advance
    ~150 lb of stuff plus myself (180 lb)
    Straight highway miles
    Average speed 75 mph

208 miles
    8 gallons
    = 26 mpg

Not bad. You might try a little more timing though. These engines have fairly non-optimal combustion chambers so they need lots of timing. Try something around 22*-24*.

C|

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Sweet! Every time I see a good job like yours here I just want to do the same to my car even though I love all the sensing stuff on it. I would like to do the swap not because I'm having problems with my carb, Its just that I want to feel the power you guys mention you get with the carb swap.

Tell us more, Is it cold in your city? how is this carb at cold start?
    Just wanted to update this yet again. It has been consistently in the single digits every morning and with one press of the pedal to the floor and a turn of the key it starts up every time. I have to adjust the fast idle, but right now on start up it will idle around 1200-1500 RPM. Holds a nice smooth idle until warm. I'm still very impressed with this setup and no complaints thus far.

DX User

Well I'm not so excited by my latest results. I just went through my first tank since the swap in all around town driving. The drives are on average less than 5 miles and the engine cools off completely before every drive. By far not optimal for fuel efficiency. I calculated 13.5 mpg....

However... I'm impatatient and did not give the car time to warm up before driving. Therefore I would be driving with the choke engaged and most likely dumping fuel. This tank I'm going to try and warm the car up before each drive now that I have the fast idle control working. I will see how much this improves my efficiency. Fingers crossed.