Thread: Advantage of a Weber carb?

Advantage of a Weber carb?

-
    Last edited by HON-DUH; 09-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Re: Advantage of a Weber carb?

Quote Originally Posted by HON-DUH View Post
    I'm looking forward to buying one in the future; what are the advantages of a Weber carb?

Disadvantages?

How easy is the installation?
    Apparently everything about it is an advantage over the stock carb.

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Disadvantages:

You loose the closed loop control. The fuel economy from a weber carb compared with the stock one will NEVER be the same, since the last one will control the right mixture of fuel/air in all drive conditions. But I think we are not here looking for fuel economy, what we all want is power.

You loose the automatic Idle speed control.

You loose the Idle boost control which engages when you turn the A/C on. But if you get more power with the weber, who cares.

You loose all the driveability improvement features, like the automatic air intake temperature control, the EFE, which supposedly help to burn all the fuel in the combustion chambers, resulting in less pollution and better fuel economy.

The main disadvantage of the stock one is its complexity. I was lucky because i didn't get any "carb-internal" failures, so I am happy with my stock one so far.

Happy new year!!!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Disadvantages:

You loose the closed loop control. The fuel economy from a weber carb compared with the stock one will NEVER be the same, since the last one will control the right mixture of fuel/air in all drive conditions. But I think we are not here looking for fuel economy, what we all want is power.

You loose the automatic Idle speed control.

You loose the Idle boost control which engages when you turn the A/C on. But if you get more power with the weber, who cares.

You loose all the driveability improvement features, like the automatic air intake temperature control, the EFE, which supposedly help to burn all the fuel in the combustion chambers, resulting in less pollution and better fuel economy.

The main disadvantage of the stock one is its complexity. I was lucky because i didn't get any "carb-internal" failures, so I am happy with my stock one so far.

Happy new year!!!
    as if, as if these or ANY computer controlled carb system ever ran in closed loop for very often!
    I appreciate what youre saying here but actual results vary depending on perspective and application.

Fuel economy is improved if you keep your foot out of it. And you burn much less gas without the pointless oem runaway idle issues at any given time during a days use.

Warm up cycle is 100 percent more consistant and without hitches, choke fast idle does occur so I disagree with you there.

About the only disadvantage you mention here I agree with is the loss of AC idle boost, but this can be compensated with the tuneability of the weber, you can tune these babies to purr at 500 rpm idle if you want to so with a little extra there you never notice the AC drag.
    Also you can install a solenoid boost on the throttle linkage with these if needed, very common for these weber replacements since they were commonly used for Asian oem replacements back when the cars were even only a couple of years old.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Wink Re: Advantage of a Weber carb?

I could list the problems with a stock carb, but I'm not going to start a new year off on a sour note. It takes some time to come to senses on switching carbs. To each his own. Happy New Year!
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 12-31-2010 at 06:26 PM.