Thread: side exit exaust

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

side exit exaust

while the radiator is out for wiring work, I'm going to install the headers in preparation for finishing the exaust later, i'm also working on a side exaust setup. I know someone in Minnesota who does sand casting of aluminum, so he's going to cast me a heat shield for the plastic bumper. I'll make the heat shield from a piece of plastic bumper from my bad bumper, and some aluminum pieces, this is for the mold master, it will just protect the lower part of the bumper, i'm going to use an old Honda emblem, so the final cast piece will have honda cast into it.

I used some stainless 2 inch tubing and did some bending and flaring, the long straight piece of tube won't be used,it's just used to figure the position of the tips, I could use it as it fits now, but I have a nice stainless magnaflow dual tip, an old school vintage one. the pipe just shows the center of the tip

the old cherry bomb

the old bracket

the tips look like this, but are straight

Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Re: side exit exaust

that is gonna look very unique, lost. how did that cherry bomb sound? also does your car have a rear bumper lip with cutout for the original exhaust

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1813mdw View Post
    that is gonna look very unique, lost. how did that cherry bomb sound? also does your car have a rear bumper lip with cutout for the original exhaust
    the cherry bomb sounded great, but they keep burning out packing, the porter mufflers have stainless steel packing and a more mellow sound. as for the rear cutout, I'll cut out a section from the other side of my bad bumper and mold it in.

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Sounds like a cool design lost.Cherry Bombs are illegal around here.I also had an idea about doing side pipes like the 70's vettes.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by import racer View Post
    Sounds like a cool design lost.Cherry Bombs are illegal around here.I also had an idea about doing side pipes like the 70's vettes.
    I wanted to bring out the outlet right under the rear quarter, but with the quarter windows on the hatch, I was afraid carbon monoxide might get into the car, so i went to the back. the cherry bombs weren't terribly loud on the hatch, but they had a nice sound, the problem is they aren't made like they used to be, and the packing burns out quick. the porters are USA made, and built much better, I know the guy who's company builds them. I don't think they can be run down the side like a vettte, unless you bring the outlets straight out somehow, no where for the pipe to exit the car body. when I get the back done, the original outlet in the bumper won't be there, Roodoo got me that hatch bumper from a pickapart, so I haven't even done any body work or paint to it yet. the original rear bumper was warped in a wreck.

Vehicle

ok after lots of measuring, lots of holes, etc, instead of casting the heat shield,I ended up making it

I'm not sure whether to clear coat it polished, or use some of that black chrome paint, the bumper will be black, those are stainless steel rivets, the cardboard tube would be the center of the dual outlet, on the bottom piece of the heat shield, I have some special heat proof material, it will get epoxied to the bottom of it. this will stop heat transfer from the exaust tip into the plastic. A lot of really really bad stuff happened today, so i've been creating to keep from going nuts and losing my mind
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-31-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Is the heat shield going to keep the exhaust from frying the floorpan? That rubberizing shit Honda used is flammable as hell. I thought about doing that on my car, but I wanted it to come out in front of the drivers side rear wheel, but the fuel pump is directly above there. Figured that was a bad idea. So what is your final plan for the side dump?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Oh, I see. Under the bumper side, behind the wheel.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

very innovative and slexy but Im not sure how that would work with the hatch rear pop out windows sucking it in the car?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    very innovative and slexy but Im not sure how that would work with the hatch rear pop out windows sucking it in the car?
    I really doubt it would at all.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

interesting idea lost, the only thing i would be concerned with the heat shield melting the bumper itself. Would just need to be insulated.

Personally i like where it is mounted, i would think tho that the bottom curve of the bumper would make it look odd and not follow the contour of the body.

something similar to your design, but these are cheepo side fender vents

i always did like the side pipe covers on the C2's originally when i read this post i thought you were going for the vented look like in the picture below

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    I really doubt it would at all.
    I hope not, before doing a couple of 20 hours of work and cutting good parts for something like this to not be safe to use , I would try it out in rough form first.
    A couple of times Ive had hard runs up a long grade on the interstate with the pedal floored and got some serious carbon monoxide fumes in from a stock exhaust on my hatch. True that something was going on with the car, not sure what because it is intermitant and I was running a lot harder than usual, but I was riding along and started smelling something then looked behind me and saw smoke bellowing out the back, It was pretty overwhelming with fumes inside the car with the windows open.
    Nothing to do with Lost's car project being nothing less than spectacular but Im suggesting the air flow around the car could possibly be sucked in the quarter windows under certain conditions.
    sorry to be a buzz kill

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I hope not, before doing a couple of 20 hours of work and cutting good parts for something like this to not be safe to use , I would try it out in rough form first.
    A couple of times Ive had hard runs up a long grade on the interstate with the pedal floored and got some serious carbon monoxide fumes in from a stock exhaust on my hatch. True that something was going on with the car, not sure what because it is intermitant and I was running a lot harder than usual, but I was riding along and started smelling something then looked behind me and saw smoke bellowing out the back, It was pretty overwhelming with fumes inside the car with the windows open.
    Nothing to do with Lost's car project being nothing less than spectacular but Im suggesting the air flow around the car could possibly be sucked in the quarter windows under certain conditions.
    sorry to be a buzz kill
    I think it will be ok, it's not far from where the original outlet is at, it's way at the back, so airflow should carry it away, i'm going to cut out a section from my bad bumper and mold it in to make the original cutout disappear, as far as insulation, I'm using some special asbestos material we use for making the under cowl baffles in the airplanes, it's metalized with asbestos sandwitched in between layers. I have a ton of leftover mandrel bends and pieces of 2 inch stainless, so i'm going to do the really complicated bends around the rear control arm and up to where the muffler is, it's the really good stainless we build airplane exaust systems with. basically when it's done, it will outlast the car, I got the air fittings cut off of the headers and welded up nice, split a piece of stainless tubing into two pieces, it snapped right over the header tube, and needed just a little shaping with a body hammer. No point in those ugly fittings hanging off of it with plugs screwed into the ends. I need to get it hung off of the engine so i can figure out where to put the rear bracket. it's just been too cold, anyone want to buy an ugly ass factory manifold,? I wonder how much horsepower a 4-1 header is worth? I know on the LXI the main thing they did to up the horsepower was to go to that manifold with the dual downpipes. a proper scavenging header will really help to overcome the single exaust valve. a proper 4-1 long tube header also makes torque, since these engines are unusual for Honda engines, in making more torque then horsepower, thats a big benifit. Torque is what makes the car keep pulling, when downshifting and stepping on it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

How many hours do you reckon you have in this car? I bet you have an $80,000 car if you counted your labor.

Looks good, BTW.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

I'm very happy, I got a box in the mail today, opened it up, and in a dusty old cracked plastic package, I found this,

the guy I bought it from said it's been sitting in his warehouse for over 20 years, they don't even make this one with the dual 2 inch tips anymore, everyone apparently wants fart cans. it's just sitting with a jack under it now, but it is hooked to the pipe, the bumper also will go up more. Now this is old school!!

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Don't like the heat shield but the tip looks good,why not find a bumper with the tail pipe cut out to fit the tip and graft it in.If there is enough air space around it you should be fine.I don't have any heat shields on my car and it's been fine for 6 years.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I know on the LXI the main thing they did to up the horsepower was to go to that manifold with the dual downpipes

Wrong.

The intake manifold, cam, and ECU were also changed. That's like saying the only thing they changed in New Coke was the packaging. In reality, they took Diet Coke and used HFCS as the sweetener.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Wrong.

The intake manifold, cam, and ECU were also changed. That's like saying the only thing they changed in New Coke was the packaging. In reality, they took Diet Coke and used HFCS as the sweetener.
    I don't mean the only thing but that was the major change, the original single downpipe manifold is terrible,

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by import racer View Post
    Don't like the heat shield but the tip looks good,why not find a bumper with the tail pipe cut out to fit the tip and graft it in.If there is enough air space around it you should be fine.I don't have any heat shields on my car and it's been fine for 6 years.
    at normal eye level is disappears pretty much, and all you can see are the tips of the pipes, I think with the bumper black it will blend in.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The 88/9 one isn't that much better. I'm betting the difference in power is marginal by itself. Hell, it's only a 12 HP bump. That's a lot of stuff being changed to get such a modest power increase.

And man, you really need to find the "Edit" button and knock off the double, triple, and quadruple posts.
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 01-26-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Showing that it can be done.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    And man, you really need to find the "Edit" button and knock off the double, triple, and quadruple posts.
    It's mellow. He can't get mad at himself for whoring his own threads.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

what triple posts? i was answering someone in my thread

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

sweet stuff

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

I wonder if this could be combined with the S@S header thread? I think I started one project before the other or something and it evolved into two different threads most of the info is in the other thread and I think the thread about the heat shield