Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shift light

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

shift light

so i bought a proform shift light off ebay and it doesnt work. i have the red to positive black to ground and green to the negative side of my ignition coil(msd blaster 2) exactly how the instructions say. am i doing something wrong? or is it hooked up wrong?
    and yes i tryed multiple searchs

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: shift light

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
    so i bought a proform shift light off ebay and it doesnt work. i have the red to positive black to ground and green to the negative side of my ignition coil(msd blaster 2) exactly how the instructions say. am i doing something wrong? or is it hooked up wrong?
    and yes i tryed multiple searchs
    does it use the pills that plug in, or does it have dip switches

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

its got a potentiometer on the back ithink thats how u spell it it just a knob on the back

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Why would you need one of these?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Same reason you need a rear spoiler and a front air dam.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

before u start thinking im rice i was going to modifiy it to have leds that are hidden so everything still looks stock instead of a huge light on my dash
    and because i like it

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

but is it hooked up right? cause if it i am gunna have to go send my "y is my part broken letter" to this ebayer

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    same reason you need a rear spoiler and a front air dam.
    rotflol!
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

before u start thinking im rice i was going to modifiy it to have leds that are hidden so everything still looks stock instead of a huge light on my dash
    and because i like it
    WUT you dont like shift lights on the dash? pshh!

but is it hooked up right? cause if it i am gunna have to go send my "y is my part broken letter" to this ebayer
    wut? LOL!

seems to be wired right. but it is ebay junk so you get a 50% chance it works right.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    WUT you dont like shift lights on the dash? pshh!

wut? LOL!
    lolol noooooooooo i like clean cars

seems to be wired right. but it is ebay junk so you get a 50% chance it works right.
    yeah i havent had a problem with ebay yet this is my first dead part ive got

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

and because i like it
    I wasn't thinking rice. I was just wondering if it was useful. Based on the wiring, it doesn't seem to have any way of knowing what the engine load is. Because shift points move higher as engine load increases, your shift light would need to incorporate some kind of load indicator, like a TPS, vacuum signal or somesuch to provide accurate shift points. As I'm understanding what you've bought, you will have a pretty light turn on at some specific and unchanging rpm but not much else. If that's what you're after, then rock on. I myself would at least spring for a light that incorporates a load signal, if such a thing is available. I'm fussy like that though. Good luck with the install and take pics of the project.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

I wasn't thinking rice. I was just wondering if it was useful. Based on the wiring, it doesn't seem to have any way of knowing what the engine load is. Because shift points move higher as engine load increases, your shift light would need to incorporate some kind of load indicator, like a TPS, vacuum signal or somesuch to provide accurate shift points. As I'm understanding what you've bought, you will have a pretty light turn on at some specific and unchanging rpm but not much else. If that's what you're after, then rock on. I myself would at least spring for a light that incorporates a load signal, if such a thing is available. I'm fussy like that though. Good luck with the install and take pics of the project.
    yah thats what i am going for is a pretty light that turns on and thats about it
    i will take pictures and when its done ill post them

Vehicle

it doesn't care about engine load, it's to remind you of redline is all

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    it doesn't care about engine load, it's to remind you of redline is all
    Oh, got it.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Oh, got it.
    really a race item, where you are shifting gears as fast as possible and don't have time to look at the tach, i did see a giant one in an auto civic one time, lol, along with a monster tach

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Its ebay bro, theres your answer lol.... but nah, has to be an electrical issue. Look up youtube vids on it or google how to put it on.
    Facebook me= http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000082137883

R.I.P.= 94 Honda Prelude SI H23a
    89 Honda Accord LX-i A20

Vehicle

a lot of times the ones with the dial, the contacts in the potentiometer will go bad,and it will quit working, then they get sold to someone else, it sounds like it's hooked up right, what kind of ignition is it hooked up to? is it just a coil, or do you have an ignition box?

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

a lot of times the ones with the dial, the contacts in the potentiometer will go bad,and it will quit working, then they get sold to someone else, it sounds like it's hooked up right, what kind of ignition is it hooked up to? is it just a coil, or do you have an ignition box?
    its just a msd blaster coil 8202 no ignition box
    i have it hooked up exactly as the instruction on the user manual says

Vehicle

its just a msd blaster coil 8202 no ignition box
    i have it hooked up exactly as the instruction on the user manual says
    is there a setting for number of cyls? if it's set to v-8 you might have to hit 13000 rpms before it thinks it's at 6500 rpm, it senses rpm directly, so somewhere on that shift light there's a setting for 4-6-8
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

^^^ I agree, the device needs to know what rpms, and it probably has a ic set as a predetermined parameter with a method of tweaking that which is the pot switch potentiometer thingy.. if the pot switch is not providing the correct amount of resistance needed or spikes... much like a bad tps would do to ecu.. it will not work well with the integrated circuit.
    Also many seem to have issues with tachs working with the msd boxes, this shift light would be not different. Try and see it it works on another vehicle, preferably a chevy v8

edit, msd coil but not box, well ok, is it the correct coil for a Honda.. all coils are not the same contrary to popular belief you can get less spark using coils that are out of range, and is the noise condensor in that circuit?
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 01-15-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

is there a setting for number of cyls? if it's set to v-8 you might have to hit 13000 rpms before it thinks it's at 6500 rpm, it senses rpm directly, so somewhere on that shift light there's a setting for 4-6-8
    yeah there is a way set it to 4 cyl its just cutting two looped wires and i did that

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    ^^^ I agree, the device needs to know what rpms, and it probably has a ic set as a predetermined parameter with a method of tweaking that which is the pot switch potentiometer thingy.. if the pot switch is not providing the correct amount of resistance needed or spikes... much like a bad tps would do to ecu.. it will not work well with the integrated circuit.
    Also many seem to have issues with tachs working with the msd boxes, this shift light would be not different. Try and see it it works on another vehicle, preferably a chevy v8

edit, msd coil but not box, well ok, is it the correct coil for a Honda.. all coils are not the same contrary to popular belief you can get less spark using coils that are out of range, and is the noise condensor in that circuit?
    yeah its the right coil its the one that a bunch of people use on here. http://msdignition.com/Products/Coil...rformance.aspx

what do u mean in that circuit?
    i didnt hook it up to the coil but its still in the factory location i didnt cut any of the noise condenser wires

Vehicle

you should have one wire to switched ignition, one to ground and one to the negative side of the coil, blue wire, you didn't hook it to the tach wire in the car did you? the factory coil has a resistor in it that drops the voltage going to the tach,ecu, ac delay, etc, you may have connected it to the tach out wire at the coil, the blue wire going to the coil from the dizzy doesn't have the resistor, but the blue wire coming out of the coil going to the harness does. you need to use a meter and hook it to the blue wire going into the coil directly from the dizzy thats your switched negative

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

you should have one wire to switched ignition, one to ground and one to the negative side of the coil, blue wire, you didn't hook it to the tach wire in the car did you? the factory coil has a resistor in it that drops the voltage going to the tach,ecu, ac delay, etc, you may have connected it to the tach out wire at the coil, the blue wire going to the coil from the dizzy doesn't have the resistor, but the blue wire coming out of the coil going to the harness does. you need to use a meter and hook it to the blue wire going into the coil directly from the dizzy thats your switched negative
    this is exactly what i did

Red to the battery
    Black to ground
    Green hooked up to the negative side of the coil

this all the wires that are coming out of the light
    the electricle tape are the wires i cut
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 02-12-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Vehicle

whats the model number of the light, i'll see if i can find a pdf of the instructions, that seems like a lot of wires to cut