Thread: Wiring in a cruise control cancel switch

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Wiring in a cruise control cancel switch

So the Legend cancel switch I wired in is not entirely making me happy.

I want a cancel button, but I want the system to remember the speed I was going before I hit it. It doesn't work like that now.

I figure I can wire a button into the brake light line going to the control unit. Send a 12v signal to the control unit through that wire and I will have a nice cancel button that will remember my speed. Unfortunately, there are three wires going from the brake light switch to the control box. Does anyone know if I would be splicing into the Grey wire or the Green/White wire or the Light Green wire? If I wire into the wrong one, I'll get brake lights every time I hit my cancel button and that's not exactly what I'm after.

Thanks,
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Wiring in a cruise control cancel switch

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    So the Legend cancel switch I wired in is not entirely making me happy.

I want a cancel button, but I want the system to remember the speed I was going before I hit it. It doesn't work like that now.

I figure I can wire a button into the brake light line going to the control unit. Send a 12v signal to the control unit through that wire and I will have a nice cancel button that will remember my speed. Unfortunately, there are three wires going from the brake light switch to the control box. Does anyone know if I would be splicing into the Grey wire or the Green/White wire or the Light Green wire? If I wire into the wrong one, I'll get brake lights every time I hit my cancel button and that's not exactly what I'm after.

Thanks,
    if it's wired right, the clutch switch or pressing the brake will cancel it, or anytime you turn off the power switch, once you turn off power the safety valve in the actuator loses power and bleeds off all vaccume , if it cancels by brake or clutch pushing the resume switch will bring you back to your last speed, but turning off the power clears the memory

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Just wire it to the clutch switch instead. That will behave exactly how you want it to, without brake lights.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I thought the clutch switch was one that's normally closed?? meaning if you wire it to that, you would have to press the clutch & switch at the same time for it to cancel

the brake pedal switch should have 4 wires going to it, 2 of them is a normaally open switch (for the lights) and the other is a normally closed one (for the cruise control)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    I thought the clutch switch was one that's normally closed?? meaning if you wire it to that, you would have to press the clutch & switch at the same time for it to cancel

the brake pedal switch should have 4 wires going to it, 2 of them is a normaally open switch (for the lights) and the other is a normally closed one (for the cruise control)
    the clutch switch has a specific input to cancel the cruise without clearing the memory

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

There are two clutch switches on '89s, if memory serves. One closes when the clutch is pressed in (clutch interlock) and the other when it is let out (cruise disengage). I've done an MT swap, so there isn't any clutch wire for me to connect to at this point. However, looking at my wiring again, I see that the Pink wire, which I shorted to ground to make the cruise work, could just be run to the clutch-out switch before going to ground.

It looks to be the same wire that they run to the clutch switch on the MT cars, so that should work great. On Autos, I think the Pink wire keeps the cruise from working if the car isn't in Drive. While I'm running that, I can wire my cancel switch into the same wire and be good. I just need to find a small always-on switch that I can mount discretely somewhere in the cabin, preferably on the back of the steering wheel. I'll also have to figure out how to connect it to the slip-ring, but one thing at a time.

Does that sound right?
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-19-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

the pink wire from the cruise goes to the pink wire on the clutch switch, when the clutch pedal is pressed, it breaks the ground, it looks like when you press the pedal it also sends a signal to the ecu, the pink wire to the cruise is normally grounded, the clutch switch or taking the automatic out of a drive gear interrupts this ground.

I don't know how many of you have already figured this out, but pressing both steering wheel buttons at the same time does exactly the same thing as the cancel switch. The brake light switch in the automatic Accord is specific for cruise control equipped models. If you just barely touch the brake it will cancel the cruise (while retaining the memory) without actuating the brake lights.

Vehicle

all of the cruise control brake light switches are the same, instead of just having a normally open circuit for the brake light, the cruise switch has an additional normally closed circuit. step on the brake and it interrupts the ground,causing the cruise to shut off. pushing the power switch also cancels the cruise and clears the memory.

I've never been particularly happy with this car's cruise control. It does a lousy job of maintaining consistent speed on anything but the flattest of terrain. Mine's been like that since the day it rolled off the dealer's lot.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

^^^ I'm glad to hear that. Mine always fluctuates by ~4 mph constantly. As soon as it gets to speed, it begins to back off. When it gets to 4 mph under speed, it hits the gas and goes back up. I thought it was something wrong that I needed to fix, but I guess it's functioning as well as can be expected.

It's not the greatest cruise, but at least it's functional. The cruise on my '82 Accord was so bad that I couldn't use it at all. When I did, the gas pedal would fluctuate constantly between WOT and no throttle the entire trip. You'd get to your destination and go, "where'd all my gas go?" Then you'd fill up and wonder why you got such awful mileage on a highway trip.

Pressing both cruise buttons also seems to erase the memory, so it's not really a workable solution unless you see a cop and don't want to show brake lights. I'm still looking for a cancel button.
    Dr_Snooz

3Geez Veteran

My cars have all been manuals and I can tap the brake without making the lights come on and still cancel the cruise control while maintaining the memory...

I also have the fluctuating speed. Pisses me off just as much as the people around me, especially when I'm passing someone via cruise control.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

+1 with the tapping the brakes without the lights coming on

My cruise control seems to work fine & stays on the set speed as long as it's not going up/down hills that require gear changes. maybe they get better with age?

It's funny how I went to a good bit of trouble to fix the cruise when I thought it was broken. I pretty much never use it for all the reason mentioned above. It turned out that I just had to adjust the brake light switch. The little rubber cone-shaped thing that pushes the brake light switch disintegrated a couple years ago and I replaced it with a rubber bumper out of one of those "HELP" packs. I just needed to do a little adjustment.