Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Et2 Motor Build...

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Re: Et2 Motor Build...

Quote Originally Posted by hondalude86 View Post
    So the machine shop accidentally overbored the 4th cylinder .003s so that cylinder has to be bored out abd then resleeved. $uck!
    fuccck.. shit sucks man..
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

whats that in mm? sure you can't just use bigger rings? if they are forged pistons which i think they are you might be ok they have to have bigger piston to bore gap any way than stock cast pistons as they expand a lot more when hot.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Can you resleeve a cast iron block...?

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

well, of course with me and the golden horse shoe that's up my ass, i got my block back sat afternoon. He re-sleeved the block sat morning and had it ready to go for me. I didn't get to do more than bring it home being easter weekend and all, but i can say, it looks great. He even machined the rod reliefs at the end of the cylinder...

Rich, btw .003in is .0762mm. and with gap at .028 vs .020 for the second ring thats a dif of .2032mm, which i believe is a bit excessive. the block looks good, and hopefully i'll be able to get some work done on it this weekend, but no promises since i've got a Calc test monday and a Calc final a week from that. ITs pretty intense around here really, that plus a new puppy in my apt!

looking great! You seem to know what you are doing!

Just got a noob question though, are there any advantages by switching to a smaller radiator?

Thanks

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Not much other than weight savings and it frees up some space for a loud spinny thingy. This Rad should perform at least as good as the stock one if not better.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So here are some pics first, but there will be a bitch thread.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So basically it looks like if you wanted to run the crank scarper you have to be running stock rods... I'm going to email this guy and see what he says, but there is no way its going to fit without spacers, and there is no way thats going to work without new main bolts.

EDIT: here is the Email to give you guys an idea what i'm dealing with...

"Well, I have to say that I'm VERY VERY disappointed with this product. The fitment was garbage to start. I had to file down two of my main caps to get the piece level, then i found out that the bolts for the oil pump pick up BARELY fit, I literally had to install those bolts first then the rest of the main cap bolts to get them to actually go. Then of course like you had in your picture directions, there might be some (try LOTS) grinding away to get the clearance for the counter weights. So i used my die grinder and after several hours, got the metal parts finally clearing the counter weights on all 4 cylinders... Then I checked my rod clearance, NOT GOING TO CLEAR AT ALL. What the Hell guys... I got put on the back burner, waited months for a product that was only suppose to take weeks, and then even with major modding to clear the counter weights, there isn't enough modding that could be done to clear my rods... The only way i could halfway seeing this piece fitting my motor is if use spacers to space the piece out enough to clear the rod caps with minimal grinding, but in order to do that, my oil pump pickup wouldn't fit (since it gets bolted to the top of this piece) and i would with out a doubt need longer Main Cap bolts, something that was not mentioned in your instructions. At this point, unless there is something huge i'm missing, I want to send this scraper back and get my 200 dollars back. I don't see a way that A) you can make this right, and B) how i'd be willing to wait on anything less than a full refund.
    I will be totally honest with you guys, this was the part i was THE most excited about... This is a HUGE let down."

we'll see what he has to say
    Last edited by hondalude86; 05-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I know that scrapers are supposed to be fitted to your motor, but if bolt holes were off, that's pretty poor craftsmanship. I thin EricW has one of their scrapers, but his was of pretty good quality.

And it's good to see another guy on here with long blonde hair, lol.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So... here is the series of emails from kevin today...

-"Hi Ryan,

I am sorry that you had to spend so long fitting the scraper. There are often variances in how factory parts are made that we cannot anticipate.* However, if you can see that something will take hours and hours of grinding you should have stopped there, taken some pictures of the problem and emailed them to us. We send out adjusted parts at no charge and try to do this very quickly.

Please send pictures that illustrate what needs to be altered and we will send adjusted parts at no charge.

* See attached pictures of just one instance of casting variation.

Kind regards,

Kevin"

-"Ill see what I can do pictures wise tonight but what kind of turn around are we talking because I've already waited 3 months for you guys and I'm doubting we are talking a week turn around. The Max I'm talking I want to hold this motor up another up is a few weeks."

-"I spent the majority of today preparing a new frame based on your description. It should arrive by noon tomorrow. The tracking number (USPS) is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Pics attached."

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

So are they sending you a new scraper frame?

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Here's the pics of what he is sending...

vs what i have...

It looks like he thinned out the part where the rods come in and the counter weights go...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

my email back to him...

"I'm am SUPER IMPRESSED with the instant service... Looking at the one your sending looks like you've opened the pieces ALOT. Definately looks like the counter weights will clear and you've cut the rod section in half! I'm pretty stoked... Again, this is my most exciting part, and despite all the bumps in the road, I am very VERY happy that you did this to help make it right. I guess my I let my frustrations get the best of me, and for that sir, i am very sorry. When i get the new one, I'll bolt it up, with the rods and everything and take some pictures and send them to you right away!
    Again, your excellent service and wowed me once again.
    Thanks"

SEi User

lol that put you in your place! hehe! Just out of interest what was it you were grinding to try and make it fit? I hope it wasn't the crankshaft? Otherwise it may have weakened it or at best made it go out of balance and you'll have to have it balanced again. Post a pic of what you hacked up?

To be fair honda did change a few things but only mainly between ET and A18/20 wonder what they based their original design on? Be interesting to see if this one fits any better i hope it does would be a shame not to use it!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

I actually grinded on the frame itself, no way in hell that i'd be grinding on the crank shaft!

He shipped it overnight, and has been delivered, not sure if i'll get to pick it up in time to take it over to my car to see if it fits better!

SEi User

few thats a relief didn't think you'd be that silly lol!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So outside of the working on the Coupe... i spent some time working on the motor... And let me tell ya, that scraper has taken up sooo much time!
    I spent about 6 hours fitting the scraper to the motor today... and the good news is, Its all together, Finally! I didn't have my good camera but i did take some pictures that i think will help you guys get an idea of what i had to go through.

Had to file down this corner... and bend the secondary scraper as well as file it down too

Had to cut the ends off of the side baffle that goes under the oil pump pick up. You can see in the background what the original one looks like before its cut.

File the fuck out of this corner... literally a shit ton...

overhead shot of this corner... look at the original in an earlier post, and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Hard to tell, but i filled the snot out of this corner too, as well as bent the secondary scraper and filed it bunches as well...

Side shot of the same corner where you can see the bent tab and the filings

here is an overhead shot of one of the better cylinders with the scraper formed...

notched for the oil dipstick

wouldn't go into the oil pan other wise...(and if you look to the right you can see the notch for the rod bolts...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Now for the pics, 4 of which show the notching for the rod bolts...

Finally oil pan on! sorry, for some reason i didn't take an overall shot with the pick up on.

So there ya go... the scraper is a serious bitch to get it to fit!

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

What a load of work.. glad you made it fit though.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

SEi User

wow what a nightmare! At least the block is finally together though! Did you have to modify the teflon scraper as well hope you managed to clean up some of those bits that were hanging off don't won't those getting stuck up the oil pickup and reducing oil flow.

Just out of interest the Felpro gasket you got was that bought recently? When Cygnus-x1 tried to get me some of those they were the usual cheap crap that most patent manufacturers use, but people who have bought these recently have had the felpro ones with the bigger bore??? So I'm confused as to whether these are still in production or out of production? I'd very much like to get some more so I can still continue to use my ET blocks with 2.0litre pistons and use ET1 heads.

SEi User

Is it running yet! we want a update! lol!

Hoping to be building a killer B20A soon! should be fun! Can't wait to see what a big valve, high compression B20A on Webers can do! :0)

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

I think he's been out of town, so don't think there's been much more progress
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude Si

Yep he left for Kentucky for a week and stayed at my place on Friday

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Yep, in ky right now. So yeah not much progress, ill be back in colorado for a week then to atlanta for some training!

SEi User

Just cleared out all my engine parts from my God Parents garage/workshop to my garage after i managed to clear out a load of crap from it. Making me want to build something new and rather special now! Although I'm in process of getting a Killer B20A together! Unfortunately their old garage leaked water ontop of my spare B20A lower block and rusted out the bores a little, it's only surface but I'll have to fully strip and rehone the bores and drop new rings in to be able to use which is a PITA was hoping to have one that was just plug and play for spares! Oh well I have another one in a car still just needs new sump so maybe I'll use that for the plug and play engine while i build the crap outta this one for 250bhp!!