Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Et2 Motor Build...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Re: Et2 Motor Build...

Alright, so everyone is probably trying to figure out what the hell is up with the lude! We'll as you guys may already know, i was in KY a couple of weeks ago, and even right now, i'm in Atlanta doing some training all week for work. I did get some work done, but the car is still loads away from running, It's starting to sound like Gio is going to have a boosted a20 running before i get my built et2 running...

Anyway, I got the oil pump on, the studs back in, waterpump on and the head cleaned up and bolted on. Nothing too crazy, being that when i went over to the garage to work on the lude, I ended up helping my dad replace the rear brakes, and tire on his HD Vrod!

SEi User

Got any pics of the old mans motor sounds interesting!
    Well now that your back just got on with it will ya! lol! ;o)
    While I'm here you or rusty got any decent pics of the stock shocks front and rear, and any dimensions?
    I have a UK Company called GAZ shocks they reckon they might be able to make us up a coilover setup for cheap so hoping they can as their letting me have the first mockup set of £350 for sponsoring my race car! :0)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude Si

Rich what dimensions were you looking for on those shocks? I have a set I can measure.

SEi User

Just general body sizes and piston rod sizes and the fittings. Any pics of just the shock would be ace email me [email protected]

mainly after shock body length, the diameter where they fit into the hub/fork, shock rod length to fitting, and then the fitting length and diameter although this isn't amazingly important as I'm sure we could make it work with a combination of washers and stuff etc.! lol!

Excited though hope they find something similar I'm sure they'll dig out something for the Rex on the front and then hopefully something they can modify for the rear. Going to pop down there one day and have a good nose about they've been really helpful so far in trying to work something out!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

okay here is the update from today, the first time ive gotten to work on this thing in a month!

first picture of head bolted on, and cleaned out really good!

h2o sensor installed with a 3/8s mpt to 1/8s fpt reducer

initial motor shot before the goodies got thrown on.

cam in, timing belt set, but still valve lash not done and the VC isn't bolted down...

front at this point...

you can see the new AEM oil pressure sending unit here, as well as the flywheel...

notice now the motor mount bracket is on, as WELL as the bracket for the Mag pickup

valve lash now set, the VC is actually installed, and a good shot of the mag pickup

money shot of the mag pickup

clutchnet lightweight flywheel!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

seks.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Nice, look's like a great day for it too.

Are you not going to put the timing belt cover on?
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

No sir I do not

Vehicle
    85 SE-i / 1997 VW Golf

Dang that thing is gonna be sweet cant wait to see it run.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

ok, here is the final update for the weekend... Long story short, the motor and trans are together and ready to go!!! let the pics begin!

some cp.com luv

motor off of stand!

flywheel all bolted up, loctited and cleaned! Clutchnet luv

clutchnet srung kevlar disc

fancy sprung hub

lightly used clutchnet pressure plate (their 2x model)

all bolted up and torqued/loctited

waiting to be installed in the car

I'd say the biggest bitch today was retapping a stripped bolt that was in my trans. the went from a m10x1.25 to a m12x1.50! that same bolt is stripped on my white prelude too, and my motor moved lots because of it! now, this is all fixed and hopefully wont strip again. I measure the thread depth (after tapping it) at 23mm. So i went UBER safe with a 40mm length cut down to 21mm and of course loctite.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

so i have been giving it some thought as far as a vacuum canister to balance out the pulses of my motor as well as for a good solid MAP signal for the MJLJ. so i think i'm going to use the factory vacuum canister that works with the ac controls, except i'm going to tap into it for the vacuum source, leave the one for the ac controls and then have the extra "inlet" and us it as an "outlet" for the MAP sensor in the MJLJ! genius! I can even use it in the factory location and it will be perfect!

Vehicle

Looks awesome!!! Btw, you fucking took my idea with the CP sticker on VC

Hit me up if you need any help throwing that bad boy in there
    Last edited by gfrg88; 06-27-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    Btw, you fucking took my idea with the CP sticker on VC
    Pics or it didn't happen, hahahaha!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

i was thinking about my project build sheet on the motor alone, and its ridiculous! fuck!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by hondalude86 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen, hahahaha!
    in the process of shaving it first
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

Nice work dude glad it's all coming together can't wait to see what figures you put down on this bad boy!! Be interesting to see what a high CR ratio can do as all my builds have been very low CR if i combine the both could result in some magic numbers!!
    Really giving me itchy engine building fingers! damn i hate not having enough time!!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

so it's 11:48pm here in Northglenn CO as i type this...

July 4th weekend came with a having to work Sat and Monday on what would have been a 3 day weekend, but being i took a 3 day weekend for memorial day, I am the Supervisor that was voluntold to work this whole weekend. So, I am literally sitting here with my pup, dreaming about finishing this Car. I just re-read this whole thing all over again, to truly appreciate how insane this is, and how much has been done/purchased for this project.
    Remembering all the parts so far up till now. The long frustrating nights getting no where, the hours spent on the Teflon scraper, and the amazing satisfaction of having the motor done. I'm so excited about this car and at the same time disappointed in the fact that i'm not done with this car.

Hell, to further add to the hold up on getting this car done is the fact that my mom's side of the family threw a reunion together literally in 3 weeks. I've seen family members i've not seen in 10+yrs. Yet, another hold up...

So i dug this up from PP.com (which I hate)

Quote Originally Posted by kyryeguy View Post
    hey smeado, i havent bought the gauge yet, but it is my next tuning purchase. My new moto is no more jets without a wideband!

As far as recent progress... I finally got the full suspension done...minus all new bushings, how ever there are some new poly bushings in place. Top strut bushings in poly, radius rod bushings in poly and rear strut top bushings {rubber}. New konis front and rear, Addco rear 19mm sway bar, stock front still (going to try it out see if i like it), steering wheel, seat, harness and harness bar

Basically if i had a mod sheet list of INSTALLED parts on Race day it would look something like this...

Engine:
    Rebuilt ET2 with all new internals
    Delta 282 w/11mm of lift regrind
    Golden Eagle Adjustable Cam Gear
    S&S header
    Dual DCOE 45s mounted on a custom Manifold
    PiperCross 30mm Full radius velocity stacks
    32 inches of 2.25 exhaust/cherry bomb muffler with turn down

Electrical:
    MSD SCI ignition box
    Blaster SS Coil
    Odyssey battery
    NGK Wires
    NGK Platinum plugs
    Oil Pressure/ voltage/ fuel pressure/ engine temp gauges
    Stock stereo with Polk audio rears and Infinity front speakers (came with the car)
    Mr Gasket Fuel Pump and regulator

Suspension: (my favorite part)
    Poly Radius rod bushings, upper strut mount bushings
    Koni yellow adjustable fronts
    Koni Externally adjustable insert rears
    Eibach Race Springs, 500lbs front, 600lbs rear
    Addco 19mm rear sway bar with poly bushings
    Adjustable spring perches
    Extended Top hats

Brakes:
    Si Master Cylinder
    Si front brake calipers
    Stainless steel brake lines
    Hawk HPS front pads

Interior:
    Sparco Seat
    Momo 300mm steering wheel
    Ebay B Pillar brace
    Simpson 3inch 4point latch link harness

Wheels/tires:
    15x8 +20mm TR motorsport wheels
    Hoosier A6 275/35/r15 front, 225/45/r15 rear

Something like that! I just got the tires mounted today and tomorrow i'll be scrubbing them in, so i'll try and take pictures of the car...
    The best part is with the stock wheels on it (13x5 +50mm offset accord wheels) it looks totally stock. When you fire the motor up, everyone looks around thinking what the fuck? It is a totally stock looking car that sounds like a fire belching monster... with a slight cam lobe to let you know that there is something lurking beneath the faded paint hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyryeguy View Post
    i added up my cost into the car, and its about 6670 dollars to recreate this car minus that actual cost of the car, since i've gotten for free!
    That doesnt count the hours and countless hours to find parts that really dont exist plus all the stupid bullshit, like alternators and gaskets and such
    of course this list has grown loads since i posted this more than a year ago. Some of the stuff (motor internals) weren't what I thought they were, some of the other parts (tires, suspension) got heavily abused by my always faithful b16 prelude and will return of course, and the car's current state is most aweful... I've realized that i've probably spent close to 11k on a car that has only driven 800 miles in the last 8 years. hahaha

But all that is going to change... within the next few months... This fucker is going to be one fire breathing, monster. all the work that has gone into this car over the last 8 years, all the parts sourced from all over the world, all the insight, the new and constant developments, have made for one very awesome ride. Reading on PP reminds me of why i'm on 3geez. Walking out to my Stable of Hondas (2 2nd gen preludes, 1 3rd gen accord, and a 500hp del sol) make me happy every day.

I feel like i'm filled with an angst that i've not experienced since my teenage years. The thoughts of things to still be done... the other issues on my other cars, the things i have to spend money on that don't go directly to the Red Lude, the distractions, the misunderstandings of emotion, the everything that has slowed this down are only further frustrating me.

But I have a vision...

One car. A nightmarish terror. Bleching flames from it's undercarriage. Any women that looks at it imagines she will receive tetanus. A car that makes women fell as if they have been violated by being in just it's presence. Any child that sees or hears it driving near them will cry in angry fits of discomfort. Any man that sees it will be intimidated, will wonder, will inquire from what hellish metal was this nightmare forged from. Any competitor will try and find something to fault it for. Will never measure themselves against it for fear of feeling inadequate. I want this car to be the very car that Fear born. This has become my long term goal with this car. This car will be a delight to drive and a true blessing to be apart of. This car is my best interpretation of my lesser known self. A mixture of ill conceived notions.

It's now 12:14am and I'm going to post this. No editing, seat of my pants typing... and a lust for terror.

Last edited by hondalude86; 07-02-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added an amazing picture of the very beginning of this hellish monster

when will you be in fountain again? ppir..
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Not really sure but I could always make a special trip... why do you ask?

SEi User

Damn was hoping to see pics of it in and running!
    Ah Oh well getting there slowly but surely won't be long!

Speaking of fire belching monsters took mine out for a much over due spin after i fixed the oil pan leak again (still need a new pan gasket and to glue it on properly this time! lol!) Yes really miss driving this car more often, but really hate the fact it's slowly losing it's battle to rust! although it does make the car lighter! lol!
    Still an absolute beast to drive but with the weather a good 15 degrees warmer can really feel the difference in power lost at least 5-10bhp i reckon and really need to get this exhaust done and get my A18 big valve head back on to up the compression to something sensible although no where near as high as what yours is going to be with B16/18 pistons! Can't wait to see this thing tuned properly and what numbers it's going to get!
    What jets and stuff you going with on the webers to get it running? Would have thought something similar to mine should work nicely let me know if you need a hand with this.
    Be also interesting to see how it works with the Megajolt ignition system versus mine with the modified stock setup, would really like to run the B16/18 pistons as well but just feel the stock rods and pistons work pretty nice if only they were bit lighter and forged and had one less valve pocket on the exhaust side! lol! Once I've done the head swap and finally get an exhaust done not sure what else to do apart from ignition upgrade. Maybe look at custom profile cam one with more lift and possibly bit more duration other than that it is what it is. Might be time to go all out on a B20A and see which one puts down nicer power and curves.

Vehicle

we need a CO meet soon
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User

Ryan, excellent job with the build. I love the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    we need a CO meet soon
    I'm living here in the C.O. now too. too bad my prelude is still in TX. If I can get it up here and running decent, I would totally join in.

Smeado

SEi User

Ryan just a couple of q's
    Did you do any mods to the head at all? blend throats into seats, new seats cut and valves backcut to suit 3 angle seat?
    Also what bore size did you go for with the B series pistons?
    Can't wait for this to be up and running CR ratio should be pretty high and having a good induction and exhaust setup should see some pretty nice numbers!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Smeado View Post
    Ryan, excellent job with the build. I love the pictures.

I'm living here in the C.O. now too. too bad my prelude is still in TX. If I can get it up here and running decent, I would totally join in.

Smeado
    NICE!!! glad to see some more co peeps here!! Make sure to come out our car show 5280fest.com
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
    Ryan just a couple of q's
    Did you do any mods to the head at all? blend throats into seats, new seats cut and valves backcut to suit 3 angle seat?
    Also what bore size did you go for with the B series pistons?
    Can't wait for this to be up and running CR ratio should be pretty high and having a good induction and exhaust setup should see some pretty nice numbers!
    Hey Rich,

To answer "finally right?" your questions, I have not done ANY work to the heads at all, NONE. The only thing that I have done north of the deck is install the Bisimoto dual valve springs. My theory on the head is this... Less money spent on the heads, equals more money for suspension, turbo, LSD...
    The head was rebuilt before, so the valves, valve seats, retainers, and keepers are all NEW. But, i've not done anything or checked to see if its been milled down at all.

As far as pistons go, I went with the 81mm b18a/b pistons, that are rated for 10.7:1. I could have gotten some weisco that were rated at 11.5:1 but I didn't want to chance not being able to run turbo or being forced to run only E85. The long term goal with the car is 300whp/300(ish)lbs of torque on a small ball bearing quick spooling turbo with a blow through setup. My goal is NOT to see how much I can get out of an NA motor. So use this as just a reference of how much farther you can Actually go with these motors with larger valves and better head flow (which will be compromised in about 10k miles) hahahah