Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Et2 Motor Build...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Re: Et2 Motor Build...

So this week, i'm going to try and work on the lude as much as possible without spending any money. Fortunately for me, i've got plenty to do!

Rich, your going to happy about this part of my day...

No more <2" collector!!!

Ball joint i'm going to miss!
    Cut off the joint, cut back to match the diameter of the 2.25inch pipe, then filed, flushed up, and welded this longer than needed piece to the header!

here is a pic of it all welded up. Still need to drill the O2 bung.

This is my total exhaust minus the turn down and mandrels/flanges to connect 100%

Then I went to the interior!!!

random wiring pulled out, my hand for refrence on the size of this stuff... imagine this stuffed under the lower dash garnish.

old gauges out...

New AEM gauges vs the Smaller Sunpro Gauges... $550 vs $40, still not sure if the extra money was worth it, yet!

After that, I pulled the dash Nearly out, and removed the A/C evap core and cleared the way to run the wiring down through the clock area. No pictures do to the darkness and family stopping by to distract me! I'll get more pics when I go over there next!

SEi User

Nice thats 100bhp there alone! lol! ;o)

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

hahaha, no kidding. The stock collector barely measures 2" and i do mean barely, and i'm pretty sure it goes smaller than 2" for a bit... It'll be interesting to feel the difference.

The exhaust is going to be a bit smoother than before with the welding ability vs last year and my clamp on retardedness...

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    we need a CO meet soon
    Quote Originally Posted by hondalude86 View Post
    Not really sure but I could always make a special trip... why do you ask?
    kinda what i was getting at.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

SEi User

Main thing is to keep it all 2.25" with mandrel bends

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Btw, all you CO peeps have got to come out and show some support for our car show!!! Jerry and Ryan, you both NEED to sign up and enter the show
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Alright mates, I've got my mount adapters in, now i just gotta order me up some gm tranny mounts

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

ok, i did a shit ton wiring related last night...

for starters, i got my mount adapters from cygnus yesterday so first the pics of those little guys...

compared to the stock mounts

Installed in the back mount locations...

both of the mounts measured exactly the same height, which happened to be 78mm

I only happened to get one gm tranny mount because the autozone i was in at happened to only have one mount, but i had to take pics today and have this to show you guys!

Also spent lots of time trying to wire up and route all my wiring for the gauges so here is a cute little preview video!

I've ran everything through the clock, the only wire i need to reattach is the Dimmer light. I tried to use the four wires from the clock, but i couldn't get if to work right, so i just used the ground for it and ended up running the power from the fuse box.

Today i've got to drive down to south denver and pick up a brake master cylinder for the Del Slow, so i'll pick up another tranny mount. All this will leave me is the drilling and welding of the O2 bung, the wiring for the MJLJ and the ford EDIS parts, then it's MOTOR INSTALL TIME! Oh yea, and weld up some brackets for the radiator.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Got the gauges wired up 100% and the EDIS wired up 100% and the mega jolt wired up 100%. Twas a super long day

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Good job man, it must be a good feeling to get it wired up. God I can only hope for my day haha.

What did you torque your head nuts to?
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

There wasn't a recommended torque from arp like the rod bolts so I torqued them to spec.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Ok guys, I'm going to continue to bust this little car out, tonight I'm going to put the dash back together now the the wiring is done! I honestly think doing all the EDIS/megajolt wiring in one shot is the way to do it. Today I need to mount the radiator and fans and get all my vacuum parts sorted and hooked up. To even better that I need to try and find a cam plug for the dizzy hole... any suggestions? Other than that I may be able to get this little diddy started soon!

SEi User

Talk to Cygnus he used some commonly available plug for something or other that he just lightly tapped into place with a mallet. Send him a mail.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

There wasn't a recommended torque from arp like the rod bolts so I torqued them to spec.
    Which would be??? I torqued mine down to 65-ft lbs.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

recommended is a lowly 49lbft isn't it? I do mine at about 60-65 too

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Just noticed you used that plate under the poly mount. I actually didn't use it, thinking that the factory mount would actually sink with the weight of the engine, making it a little shorter. But it probably doesn't much matter honestly.

Can't remember what torque I used for the ARP studs. Something like 60lb-ft sounds right.

And for the dizzy plug, check the local hardware stores for expandable rubber plugs. They would be in the aisle with all the bins of fasteners and stuff. The plug has a bolt through it that makes the plug expand when it's tightened. This works better than anything else I've been able to find.

C|

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

badass i know exactly what your talking about!!!

The plate is was described as a preload plate for the motor mount itself. seemed kinda important for the plate to operate to me, so i figured, what the hell, doesn't make it that much taller.

So last night, i got my dash all put back together and i got my vacuum canister worked out for the mega jolt. Just used the stock vacuum box that normally runs the HVAC controls from the stock carb setup. It even has a nifty latch location for it to fit super snug!

So i'm still left with the radiator and adjusting (modding) the hood for the radiator, plugging the dizzy hole, fluids, shit!!! I'm so close!! i think honestly i can get this thing started this weekend!
    Enough talking, here are a few pics that I took the last couple of times, really nothing to exciting!

Here is the front mount without the GM tranny mount bolted to it. (sorry cygnus, but i had to open one of the holes up a little with a small rat tail file)

Had to take off the vibration dampener off of the crossmember to get the adapter to fit, which was totally fine. but here is the mount with the GM tranny mount in the front.

So basically, i'm mounted up!

I went with an 1/8 hb to 1/8mpt on the vacuum canister. I'm going to run two runners to the each other, then join them, and only have two coming to the vacuum box. leaving one top outlet going to the HVAC (it won't work super perfect because there isn't going to be a check valve going to the canister, and i can see having the vacuum canister running the HVAC controls with tune, so may have to run a separate canister for the HVAC controls with a one way valve.) and the other Top outlet going to the mega jolt.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So here is the update for the day...

brackets for the rad mount

Holes drilled for the pegs

welded into place with some shitty flux core wire

Radiator mounted, with the front rad support cut... I have another laying around i think, and i'm going to redo it...

Again, the rad mounted... I added a 3/8ths thickness rods and tacked it in to add some ridgidity...

the lower mounts, with some insulators for some spacing...

And in case if anyone is wondering, it clears the hood with out modding the hood at all!

We also cleaned the fuck out of the engine bay! Also got all the nessasary vacuum tubing for the rest of the setup, and the plug for the dizzy.

All I have left to do is drain the gas tank, and put the fuckin' motor in!!! Holy SHIT!!

Vehicle

Here is the front mount without the GM tranny mount bolted to it. (sorry cygnus, but i had to open one of the holes up a little with a small rat tail file)

So you had to open up one of the holes on the mounting tabs? How much did you have to file off? And did you have to do both mounts or just the front? I didn't want to have the brackets be sloppy loose but maybe the holes need more clearance. I also wonder if maybe the powder coating is taking up more of the clearance than I thought it would.

C|

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

I believe the hole was barely off on just one and I think it was really related to the weld. I didn't have to do much honestly to open it up mostly just opened up the corner of the hole to get it just right. It was very close

Vehicle

I believe the hole was barely off on just one and I think it was really related to the weld. I didn't have to do much honestly to open it up mostly just opened up the corner of the hole to get it just right. It was very close

Ok, as long as it was just a little bit. The welding on the mount brackets wouldn't have any effect because the holes were drilled after the tabs were welded on. I did this on purpose knowing that the tabs could move slightly during welding. There isn't much room for error though, so it's possible that your parts just ended up on the wrong side of the tolerance stackup.

C|

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Its all good Chris! No worries buddy. Got to fix the trans on the coupe and replace the rear main seal... grrrr taking time from me getting this red prelude started before gio gets his driving around

Vehicle
    88 dx & 85 Lude

If it matter, the studs I got came with instructions that said 64 ft lbs if using moly lube, or 81 ft lbs with 30 weight oil.

Looking forward to seeing it run. Great job so far

Vehicle
    3G Accord CA3

Ryan you build is very enjoyable and 2G sex

but I dont understand you guys keep bashing pp and keep talking shit just stop your krap and lets just call ourselves 2G luders

^^ agree.. what you dont realize is that were all in the same category here.. Just cause im not building my engine to 695hp like you, and cause I didnt choose to slap some dump truck tires on my sick knockoffs and leave the car with 2 feet of ground clearence, doesnt mean we all cant just get along. get off your high horse mr. I run the 2g game and come back down to our level