Thread: Replacing a20a3

DX User

Replacing a20a3

I got an 89 accord lxi with a bad motor(two fucked up rods which warped the block) and it's just been sitting for several months. I planned on working on it during the summer but a really good offer just came up for another motor on this forum(the one for sale in VA). I want to buy this and put it in mine, and I was wondering if there's anything I should know about swapping and the estimated cost of yanking my engine out and putting the other one in is? Also any small things I could do the the engine while it's out that would benefit in the long run as far as reliability goes and maybe a little horsepower? I don't want a rocket, I have a sports car for that, just a DD for college next year.

I've never done anything like this before to a car so I honestly have zero knowledge on this whole this, and I probably look a little dumb lol but any help I could get would mean alot, thanks.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

Re: Replacing a20a3

if ya got no knowledge of mechanics, id get a local mechanic to do it for about 500-1000 just in labor +parts. if ya got mechanic skills, just do it yourself and you can usually find junkyard motors for around 200-300$.
    and if you are looking for some more mpg, power, etc. it depends where you live (smog laws), but id start with a header or intake. i dont know too much about efi guys cuz ive always had carbd, but you could always change the clutch while the engine is out, there is nothing wrong with going to a stg1 for a better grip, and something you wouldnt have to worry about changing for a long time. also you could have the timing belt changed, depending on the miles of the new motor. if its got higher mileage, id suggest putting a new water pump if it looks old. do those things and ya shouldnt have to worry about it breaking down on ya, for the most part.
    Last edited by itzdave; 02-11-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

not sure about the details of which motor in yours and the new one, but if you have the head off resize the oil jet in the head. Unfortunately i dont remember the correct diameter to drill it out now

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

DX User

Engine will cost me like 150 fyi

And about the motor, the engine is like the exact same as the one in mine, both 89 lxi's
    Last edited by SettleMoore; 02-11-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: forgot somthin

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

like i said
    Quote Originally Posted by itzdave View Post
    you could always change the clutch while the engine is out, there is nothing wrong with going to a stg1 for a better grip, and something you wouldnt have to worry about changing for a long time. also you could have the timing belt changed, depending on the miles of the new motor. if its got higher mileage, id suggest putting a new water pump if it looks old. do those things and ya shouldnt have to worry about it breaking down on ya, for the most part

Vehicle
    88 lxi

depending on the amount of downtime you have to spare i would say DIY, youll save money and get that feeling of major accomplishment. not to mention the fact that youll end up knowing your way round that motor like the back of your hand by DIY. this could mean the difference b/w you saving money on maitnance and repairs are taking your car to shop everytime something goes wrong. and as far as not knowing anything or how to do it there are so many people on here and threads that could help you, i for one could help since im about to finish dropping my motor in this week or the begining of next week. ive told a few people on here that it seems super complicated but its really not. if you decide to do this by yourself i for one am here to help as well as the many people on here.
    88 lxi:
    shortram, msd blaster 2 coil, lowered 2.5" in the rear 3" in the front, stripped because race car XD

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Replace the engine rear main seal and the trans input shaft seal while you have it all apart. It's gets a lot more difficult to replace them later...
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

most of these guys covered it. replace most of the gasket so it dose not leak. The OEM gasket are the best so maybe your dealership will have like a gasket kit and good luck with your project

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned