Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turboing an 89 Accord LX-i

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: Turboing an 89 Accord LX-i

I didnt really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    I didnt really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!
    Thats what its all about.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

That was my original thought when I got the car lol. But now I'm starting to see that there is ALOT more to making that happen than I originally thought.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I feel that some of these prices being thrown out are a bit out of line. I see Evo and STI stock pull-off turbos for less than $200 all the time. These won't get you as much as the absolute best turbo for the motor, but they'll do well. Manifolds aren't that much either. If you're happy with a log, they're not too expensive to put together.

I'm looking to hit 14s in my car. I'll be stripped down to only the things needed to make it go, but I'm also looking to spend less than $2000, including the price of the car. I have to hit that mark AND sell $1000 of stuff from the build in order to make budget for the race.

I'm still trudging through Corky Bell's book, though. What do I know other than what a MS kit costs and how to put stuff together? I haven't learned why what turbo works with which motor the best and why. Working on that, though.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Sedan Dx

speaking of turbos... does anyone know if theres a turbo 3gee in california?.. cause i hate the CARB laws here!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I feel that some of these prices being thrown out are a bit out of line. I see Evo and STI stock pull-off turbos for less than $200 all the time. These won't get you as much as the absolute best turbo for the motor, but they'll do well. Manifolds aren't that much either. If you're happy with a log, they're not too expensive to put together.

I'm looking to hit 14s in my car. I'll be stripped down to only the things needed to make it go, but I'm also looking to spend less than $2000, including the price of the car. I have to hit that mark AND sell $1000 of stuff from the build in order to make budget for the race.

I'm still trudging through Corky Bell's book, though. What do I know other than what a MS kit costs and how to put stuff together? I haven't learned why what turbo works with which motor the best and why. Working on that, though.
    lol need some dsm parts? i can see about getting you some used evo/eclipse stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post

I wouldnt go with a any dsm turbo unless its a EVO Big 16g from experiance MY 2g T25 was good but was lacking. IF you want a good made log mani you pay 200 easy. IF you make your own parts then yea youll save a lot of money. BUT i learned NOT to buy cheap shit. I went threw alot of turbos and crappy w/gs bovs. I bought me a T70 garret which was 500 dollars. My ram horn was alot to.

YOu can go on a cheapy budget but even THAT youll be over 1200 i did my own piping and did all my work Except the Log manifold that just bought. with the Safc injectors,pump. turbo manifold,dp and FUll catback. I was well over 1200 i have all my copys of what i bought. SO i told it how it is. TUrboing a car is NOT cheap. IM supprised this guy aint getting flamed i remember when i asked i was getting slapped in the face. IM like wtf .......EVEN with a small turbo and what not its going to be spendy. ask TIm aka Tdurr he has my old setup. He knows its not cheap. IF i had a Dirty d. FUck i would be saving money. BUT like AccordEpicenter said. The look on people faces is what is all about and worth. I would be lieing if i told a guy Turboing a 3g is cheap. Cause ITS NOT. SO dont take what i said in a fucked up way. BUt if you think 1000 for a turbosetup is your budget .......................... I got alot of hope for ya.......K im tired of typing lol

Rendon
    Last edited by Rendon LX-i; 02-16-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Just cause lol

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Oh man I forgot all about turbo in my car. That since I got the coupe I just didn't pay attention to the sedan. Makes me wanna get back on it since I don't see many turbo sedans on (3or 4) here at the most. Sure would like to be one of the guys with turbo and maybe be the 1st or second 3G owner with a turbo sedan. In california.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i

GYAAAAA

all this talk about turbos is making me want to slap one in.....*shakes head* but I can't yet, I'm gonna wait it out and do the N/A build first. get everything running all nice, and then I might order some custom low comp pistons from bisi when, and if I decide to turbo. :P
    Last edited by Nio; 02-16-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Yea for photoshop...No license plate. :3

"If I shoot a leprechaun, will Lucky charms explode everywhere?"

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

so far ive spent well over 4k into my set up. i dropped at least 2200, to get the turbo on my car and running, and ive yet to tune it.
    Granted i did run into some of the weirdest problems and i run the "if it breaks, upgrade it" policy soo... yea....

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I think IMO that 5k is ok for a good start with 200hp to at least see those number if not a bit more(210hp).

If spending over 7k or more then you'll see more numbers but maybe more risk on the motor. i think that 250 or 280 would be great from these cars.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

IMO they would make more tq then hp up to like 220hp.
    but i think with 3-4500ish on a solid stock bottom end u could make 230 with a good tune all day and be safe.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

guyanabo89 is the only guy that has dynoed his turbo hatch but he is doing like 15psi and making 330whp

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLe xOx BitT View Post
    here is what i had for my setup.
    -Turbo kit (T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC)
    -Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    -Custom made turbo manifold and downpipe
    -MSD blaster 2 coil
    -ARP head studs from 2.0L mazda miata
    -Rebuilt head
    -Rebuilt block
    -Modified B18C1 intake manifold
    -450cc DSM injectors
    -Removed A/C system and cruise control
    -Automatic to Manual transmission swap
    -New motor mounts
    -Golden Eagle adjustable Cam gear
    -Pacesetter 2 1/4" catback exhaust
    -High flow catalytic converter
    -Koyo radiator
    -Clutchnet kevlar clutch disc
    -Clutchnet red 2x pressure plate
    -Polyurethane shift bushings
    -Vortech BTM
    -SAFC
    This setup is only about 2500, and if your already 5-speed, use the stock intake manifold and head studs and do well with buying your parts then a 2k budget is reasonable as long as you do everything yourself or with friends help. I had one of those ebay civic turbo kits and had a log manifold. you could also sell the new no-name turbo and the B or D series manifold it comes with and buy a nice used garret. Hell if you can fab your own log manifold, downpipe and exhaust, hit the junkyard for a higher flow fuel pump and DSM injectors and maybe stock turbo off of something else you would be doing great on costs. The price your going to pay really depends on how much you can do on your own and how good you are at finding great parts at a cheap price.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

See, I'm very able to find parts cheap. I'm also not worried if my motor blows up, as I have a better condition spare.

Turbochargers aren't horribly expensive, piping isn't that bad if you can put it together yourself, intercoolers are cheap, an ECU isn't nearly as expensive as most people think. If you're doing all of the heavy lifting yourself, your wallet doesn't have to do much at all.

here is what i had for my setup.
    -Turbo kit (T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC) - No need for a kit, put it together for well less than $300
    -Walbro 255lph fuel pump - eBay pump from a car that needs a higher flowing pump, Mustang GT is a good candidate
    -Custom made turbo manifold and downpipe - there's been an unfinished manifold in the marketplace for $100 for a long time
    -MSD blaster 2 coil - came with the parts car, only $20 new anyway, but may get tossed if I go COP
    -ARP head studs from 2.0L mazda miata - might be something I need if I stretch the stock ones
    -Rebuilt head - not necessary
    -Rebuilt block - not necessary
    -Modified B18C1 intake manifold - not needed at all
    -450cc DSM injectors - junkyard parts
    -Removed A/C system and cruise control - free
    -Automatic to Manual transmission swap - already a 5 speed in my case
    -New motor mounts - poly fill
    -Golden Eagle adjustable Cam gear - not needed
    -Pacesetter 2 1/4" catback exhaust - dumping through the passenger fender well
    -High flow catalytic converter - HA, it's a race car
    -Koyo radiator - might swap a Civic radiator in
    -Clutchnet kevlar clutch disc - car has a new clutch
    -Clutchnet red 2x pressure plate - car still has the same new clutch
    -Polyurethane shift bushings - making my own from HPDE on a lathe
    -Vortech BTM - MS will likely control spark
    -SAFC - MS will control fuel
    A lot of stuff for me is digging through junkyards and having no need to make the car reliable. The longest the car will have to run at one time is a few minutes, so I doubt that I'll have major overheating issues. It will probably be towed to the track on a trailer. I think I can get it reliable enough to weekend drive with only cooling system upgrades after the Challenge.
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 02-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Ok, I got somewhat of a list made up and got some really rough numbers (haven't really had time to look up prices) and its looking like around 5k or so. My dad will be helping with this and he can fab pretty well and knows his way around a car. The only thing I see us have problems with is tuning cause we've never done it before. Also does anyone know what turbo would be good for this?

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

I have probably close to $3,000 invested on turbo parts and it's not even on my car yet
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Vanilla, thats what i was saying. That list is what I had and the total was around 2500, and you really dont even need everything i listed. And even some of the parts I bought off ebay you could pull at the junkyard for a lot cheaper.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

i paid like $110 for my old SVO T3 turbo. It was a .60/.63, worked really good. I dont reccomend a log mani but it will work just fine, just at the expense of power. People are around making flanges for the a20 so you can get a flange and make your own turbo mani. This is the way to go.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

I didn't really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!
    would you guy's believe he's my brother?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    LOL need some dsm parts? i can see about getting you some used evo/eclipse stuff.
    If their too small for their 2.0l cars we'd be in the same boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nio View Post
    GYAAAAA

all this talk about turbos is making me want to slap one in.....*shakes head* but I can't yet, I'm gonna wait it out and do the N/A build first. get everything running all nice, and then I might order some custom low comp pistons from bisi when, and if I decide to turbo. :P
    dude don't even sweat it. I am running 10.5-1 pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    guyanabo89 is the only guy that has dynoed his turbo hatch but he is doing like 15psi and making 330whp
    feeling the love messy
    Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLe xOx BitT View Post
    This setup is only about 2500, and if your already 5-speed, use the stock intake manifold and head studs and do well with buying your parts then a 2k budget is reasonable as long as you do everything yourself or with friends help. I had one of those ebay civic turbo kits and had a log manifold. you could also sell the new no-name turbo and the B or D series manifold it comes with and buy a nice used garret. Hell if you can fab your own log manifold, downpipe and exhaust, hit the junkyard for a higher flow fuel pump and DSM injectors and maybe stock turbo off of something else you would be doing great on costs. The price your going to pay really depends on how much you can do on your own and how good you are at finding great parts at a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    I have probably close to $3,000 invested on turbo parts and it's not even on my car yet
    $3k! yeah, but it will be very nice.
    i paid like $110 for my old SVO T3 turbo. It was a .60/.63, worked really good. I don't reccomend a log Mani but it will work just fine, just at the expense of power. People are around making flanges for the a20 so you can get a flange and make your own turbo Mani. This is the way to go.
    T3 minimum is the only way to go.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

T3 is perfect for a A series.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

I've been looking around on the net for a while and was wondering if this would be a good turbo to start with or should I just go to a junkyard and get one there?

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

All this turbo talk is adding to my fever.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by FK78 View Post
    I've been looking around on the net for a while and was wondering if this would be a good turbo to start with or should I just go to a junkyard and get one there?
    No need for a $900 turbo at all. I think your looking to go too extreme for your first turbo build. Keep it simple and stick to the basics. Once you have experience with the basic turbo setup then look into doing more serious modifications to it. When you decide to upgrade after that you can sell the old parts for the same price you paid so you wouldnt even lose money and then put that money towards the upgrades. Thats just my opinion. Maybe start off with the 5speed swap, that will give you some time to really get to know how the car is setup and where everything is.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I'm afraid of turbocharging period. I'm expecting to blow up at least one motor. I just understand that it's the cheapest way to get a lot of power from a motor. I still have a few months to get everything purchased, built, and installed before the challenge. If I weren't budget limited, I'd still be buying cheap stuff, though. I want to get my feet wet with parts that don't cost us our first born.