Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holley 2 Barrel carburetor, 2300 version not Weber / Holley version on a 1987 2.0?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Re: Holley 2 Barrel carburetor, 2300 version not Weber / Holley version on a 1987 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by g.frost View Post
    Don't want to de-rail your thread on the Holly here. May be it can be tuned a bit leaner for better mpg, but should compare to an automatic to be realistic about it. A smog test will tell how lean you are running....

I had to replace the choke opener and a thermovalve on my carb. Runaway Idle and running rich. The choke wants to close if there is a vac leak anywhere in this part of the vac system. Very bad to run an engine like this; it causes oil wash down, cylinder/ring wear, deposits, and fuel dilution in the oil.
    I really hate to mess with it any more...lol But a smaller pump cam and 1 jet size smaller probably won't hurt it any. I think a good slick paint job on her and not having the front half of it primered will help out for a mile or two a gallon though.

Vehicle

Re: Holley 2 Barrel carburetor, 2300 version not Weber / Holley version on a 1987 2.0

Haven't been on in a while guys due to being sick and not even really wanting to work much-less tinker with the Honda. Anyways we've been getting a lot of afternoon showers here lately in Florida and I took notice the first afternoon it rained that the car seemed a lot more responsive. Knowing that the colder, denser air charge was giving it more power probably meant it was running a bit rich I went to get some 55's to replace the 57's in it. The speed shop had 54's so that's what I went with and also went back to the blue pump cam adjusted to a snug 0.015. As usual with a Holley it still smells rich at idle but is noticeably more responsive with the throttle and seems to not only idle and run better but so far also seems to hot start better. Don't know any mileage yet but I'd suspect it to be a bit better than before. At least I'm hoping so. With the 57's I was always getting 18 to 20 in town depending on how heavy my foot was and slightly better than 28 on the highway.

On a side note I have a different spoiler on my car than most. I've only seen one other 86 - 89 Accord have the same style. Then while taking a walk one afternoon I spotted a Pontiac Fiero with the same style spoiler as mine. So I found one for a Fiero on ebay that needs a little TLC but was cheap. I just mention this in case any of you guys have a busted spoiler like I did and can't find the proper one to replace it, this may be an option for you too. Now that I seem to be feeling a bit better I hope to work a few hours a weekend on the body and get it all smooth as well as finish putting the ground effects kit on it and possibly a functional hood scoop. Oh and fixing the air either I'm getting too old to take the heat or it's awfully hot this summer. Pictures will follow! I think mechanically I got it pretty well beat in shape. New ball joints, CV axles, ALL the front brakes, and lot's of under hood work. Now I'm back to enjoying driving it instead of wanting to sell it.
    Last edited by apache07x; 07-19-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    You are doing a good job here, but 18-19 MPG are kind of low for the size of the car. Does the additional power you got worth the 15% fuel economy you lost? I tryed with a different holley, mine was 5200 and I thought the 18-19 MPG I got after the swap was because my holley was just old and worn out. But I see you are getting similar fuel economy and your carb looks newer than mine... mhhh... intersting.
    Buzo I'm getting a lot better now I had this thing adjusted way too rich when I initially put this Carburetor on. I'm getting 22 in town now which is the majority of my driving. Not sure what highway is yet but I'm going to guess 29 with my latest tweaks or so I hope. But if it stays at 28 that's not bad and I do less highway than in town.

Anyways been trying to get this body fixed up and here's a few pics of it. Know this is the carb section but just figured I would share what it looks like.

BEFORE

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AFTER

Last edited by apache07x; 07-25-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Good Work! Im glad you're back in the groove, heh Im using a Saturn spoiler which was difficult to mount but it was free. It looks good on the car only because of the offset of my wheels, looks goofy with regular wheels though.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    Good Work! Im glad you're back in the groove, heh Im using a Saturn spoiler which was difficult to mount but it was free. It looks good on the car only because of the offset of my wheels, looks goofy with regular wheels though.
    Thanks Roodoo I think the Fiero spoiler looks pretty good on it. I've seen some goofy looking ones on these cars and figured I'd find a stock one like mine or stumble across something that looked good for the car as long as I was patient. The Fiero spoiler is definitely a good alternative if that's the type of spoiler you have / had. It was cheap enough and close to looking like the factory one. Only an inch wider and about double the length but it has the same curves and contours as the stock one did. Was a little tricky getting to the back screws but a long 1/4 inch extension with some paper over the screw head and jammed into the socket to keep the screw from falling out worked just fine.
    Last edited by apache07x; 07-25-2011 at 09:18 AM.

DX User

hello there.i am planning on installing a holley 2300 series 2 barrel on my civic. d13a2. im wondering what you did with that box with all the vacuum hoses going to it. im sorry, dont know what its called. what does that box control? how did you remove that box? and what did you do with all the wires coming out the other side?

thanks

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgenhatch View Post
    hello there.i am planning on installing a holley 2300 series 2 barrel on my civic. d13a2. im wondering what you did with that box with all the vacuum hoses going to it. im sorry, dont know what its called. what does that box control? how did you remove that box? and what did you do with all the wires coming out the other side?

thanks
    That box is just a bunch of vacuum controls and relays with hoses running mainly to the carburetor. I just took it off and threw it in the dumpster at work. The wires were just plugs that no longer control anything so I didn't do anything with them other than unplug them. A few vacuum hoses you'll have to trace, like cruise control if you want it to work and hook up to a new vacuum source but all in all it's pretty straight forward.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    Ive actually been looking at the off road Holley 4 bbl with adjustable secondaries as an alternative to a Weber one day.
    You don't know how jealous I'd be if you had a 4bbl before me. I can't wait to have a 3g again.
    - llia

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1 View Post
    You don't know how jealous I'd be if you had a 4bbl before me. I can't wait to have a 3g again.
    It's back to having a Weber on it now and sitting in the garage collecting dust. Probably won't get a 4 barrel, I like the 32 mpg too much when I do drive it. I may even sell it. Like my Hatch better.