Thread: Removing gauge cluster

DX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord 4dr ES2

Removing gauge cluster

Can someone help me figure out how to take out my gauge cluster? I'm going to put new lights in but I can't get it out. I took off the bezel around the gauges with the 3 screws and removed the 4 screws that hold the cluster, but it won't come out at all. I can't even get to the back to disconnect the wires. Also my lights to show what door is open all come on when I press the buton on the dash but they don't come on when the back doors are open.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: Removing gauge cluster

You need to unclip the speedo cable, there's a clip that you have to lift up while pulling, but don't break the clip. It's a bit of a bastard. I'm also pretty sure you need to either pull the steering wheel, or drop the column. Can't remember if it's one, the other, or both.

Good luck.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord 4dr ES2

Alright thanks, Ill try that today. I have the car at my work right now so I only get to work on it a little bit but I get my license back im 2 1/2 weeks and I want to have it fixed up by then ;-).

DX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord 4dr ES2

How do I remove the dash? I figured since I'm pulling the cluster and I want to dye my dash that I might as well do it now too. I removed all the bolts I could see and the ones under the side caps and dropped the steering column, but it still isn't coming off.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Open the doors and pull off the rectangular bolt covers. Then pull out the bolts. Also behind the clock.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord 4dr ES2

Thanks, I got it all unbolted today and got it loose, I just have to unhook the wiring now.

DX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord 4dr ES2

I got the dash off, and got the cluster out today. How hard is it to make the gauges light up a differant color? I took the faces off but the green looks like it under the clear plastic.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Charbo88 View Post
    Thanks, I got it all unbolted today and got it loose, I just have to unhook the wiring now.

Okays.

-----------------------
    Thanks and Regards

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord automatic EK1

For future reference for myself and others, could you list where and what bolts are nessecary to remove in order ti remove the dash. Me personally, I plan on removing it to paint the dash and do some fiberglass work with it. I aytemptedlove to removeyou the clusterground a fewlower days ago just messing around. I was going to see if I could remove the clear cover and ain't the inside gray to a more metallic gray. I also want to change the green yo a blue lighting. Anywhooo... Thanks a bunch

DX User

take some pictures please, because i want to do the same