Thread: '86 Honda Accord LX-i (PGM-FI)

DX User

Cool '86 Honda Accord LX-i (PGM-FI)

I own a 1986 honda accord lx-i and I've been restoring the car. I've been having issues with my idle. My PGM-FI light is on and always on and when my car warms up in "PARK" the idle will go up, down, up, down continueously. But if I put it in "DRIVE" or "REVERSE" it goes to normal. I replaced my fuel injectors, Idle Air Control Valve and I still am having problems. I took a look at my EGR but it is working properly. I found a vacumm hose that when I unplug it the idle drops to its normal idle but it runs to rich when unpluged and I followed the hose back and it went to the MAP sensor could this be the problem?

It would be great if someone could help me with this problem becuase its starting to become frustrating . So please help [email protected]

-Cody

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

Re: '86 Honda Accord LX-i (PGM-FI)

Quote Originally Posted by cody18 View Post
    I own a 1986 honda accord lx-i and I've been restoring the car. I've been having issues with my idle. My PGM-FI light is on and always on and when my car warms up in "PARK" the idle will go up, down, up, down continueously. But if I put it in "DRIVE" or "REVERSE" it goes to normal. I replaced my fuel injectors, Idle Air Control Valve and I still am having problems. I took a look at my EGR but it is working properly. I found a vacumm hose that when I unplug it the idle drops to its normal idle but it runs to rich when unpluged and I followed the hose back and it went to the MAP sensor could this be the problem?

It would be great if someone could help me with this problem becuase its starting to become frustrating . So please help [email protected]

-Cody
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342

find out what code its throwing and ill be able to help out... but for now make sure its got coolant.. our cars dont like running low and it does the surging idle... if thats good then it could be your ECT sensor which is code 6.. i fixed that problem and it ran fine
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed
    364,XXX and counting :]

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord 4 door sedan

Maybe a mod can move this to tech?
    More people will see it.
    Lot's of answers if you search. Try google also, lots of info on this problem.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The bouncing idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak. If you are low on coolant, be sure to fill and bleed the system properly. Otherwise, you won't get the bubbles out of the IACV.

Welcome to the board. Post pics of your project when you get a chance.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

im putting my bet on stuck iacv
    er maybe a vac leak on the egr?
    yeah check the code it'll make it easy

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"