Thread: '89 DX Coupe - Question about post-EFI conversion

LX User

'89 DX Coupe - Question about post-EFI conversion

Ok, long story REAL short, I'm picking up a good, straight condition '89 DX next weekend for a song. Not quite the $50 '88 LX I had, but REAL close.

Anyway, she overheats, don't know why, blah blah blah. I'm converting the carb to EFI, via a complete '88 LX-i in the local boneyard.

Ultimate goal of the car:

'89 DX all lightweight (no power accessories), '88 A20A3 with a mild cam re-grind and a T3-60 trim turbo puffing 8-10psi, full FMIC and whatnot. Coupled to the DX tranny for longer gearing. Do want to find an SE-i rear disc conversion so I can do a brake upgrade, and some 15" wheels, most likely.

Yes, the engine is getting a 100% rebuild with new rings/pistons/bearings/gaskets.

This is literally going to be a play toy with some extra parts I have lying around.

My question is this: Can the stock LX-i PGM-FI be reprogrammed, or will I need to do an OBD1 conversion? If I need to convert, I'll just do that while I'm re-wiring the front half of the car, and which OBD1 ECU do I need to be on the lookout for?

Re: '89 DX Coupe - Question about post-EFI conversion

with a turbo in the works def go obd1. w/ a chipped obd1 ecu you can dial in your fuel mixtures the way you need to. our ecus are not tunable like that. turbo + bad/no tune = boom

LX User

Yep, hence the research. Any particular OBD1 system I should be striving to install?

If it gets too overly complicated, I'll say screw the ECU and MegaSquirt the thing.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

it looks like you are doing the right research. most of the members here have helped each other out to make the obd1 swap possible. its not a hard swap with the right jumper harness and distributor with ecu. my first question is how much time and money do you have? because converting to fuel injected will not be cheap unless you have a parts car.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

LX User

Parts cars a-plenty in the local u-pull-it.

My primary question is will an OBD1 conversion reliably run 8-10psi of boost on an A20, or do I need to just jump straight to a MegaSquirt?

You might say I'm unfamiliar with the 'tunability' of the OBD1 Honda ECUs...

Quote Originally Posted by Doward View Post
    Parts cars a-plenty in the local u-pull-it.

My primary question is will an OBD1 conversion reliably run 8-10psi of boost on an A20, or do I need to just jump straight to a MegaSquirt?

You might say I'm unfamiliar with the 'tunability' of the OBD1 Honda ECUs...
    yes

getting everything from a junkyard will get expensive fast. it would def be cheaper to buy a blown, beat down or wrecked 3g. but you want your own parts car if you don't want to spend a fortune.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

come buy one of mine......
    Be alot easier to take an FI one and just replace the doors, could be wrong but i'm pretty sure that's where most of the weight difference is. The swap is something for the seriously project minded. Remove carpet, swap gas tanks, run return gas lines... im siding with swapping just the doors. Unless you have a personal attachment to this particular car.

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"