Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost's fuel pump project

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Lost's fuel pump project

The earls fitting is here, just too tired to install, I will probably do a complete writeup on this, this adapts the hardline in the car directly to a -6 AN fitting.
    I'm running low pressure for carb, but a lot of guys run this on late model Hondas and it works for the FI just fine. the difference between the lines on our car and 5/16 is only .002, the brass ferrule can expand plenty to compensate for such a small difference.

Vehicle

I'm going to base this writeup on changing the barbed hose to AN,on the hatch, I haven't had as much experience with the other cars so things may be different somewhat. first of all PLEASE!! be careful working with fuel, I know my lines are empty and there is no fuel to spill, but you may have fuel in the lines or filter. These adapters aren't recommended for FI, but a lot of guys have run them without any issues, thats up to you on that. In my case I'm running low pressure for the carburetors, so the pressure is not an issue. If you are running FI, make sure to relieve the pressure first.

The first step on the hatch is to cut the fuel line right before it goes into the car. there will be a metal wire clamp on the hose, this is easier to remove from above

next is to remove the rear seat and pull back the carpet behind the drivers seat

there will be a plastic protector over the hose where it goes up and over the rear seat,this needs to be removed

the first screw will be on the rear seat riser

the second will be beside the fuel line directly under the edge of the rear trim panel

next you will need to pull back the rubber grommet, expect it to fall apart,I need to find another one that will work to replace it.

next,you will need to cut the tube with a thumb cutter(tubing cutter)

there is a bottom flare and a top piece to the flare,the tube needs to be cut off like this, you need to get as close to the top flare as possible, because of the way the line is bent, it's slightly flattened towards the bend, this makes it difficult to install the top part of the fitting, you BARELY have enough length due to the bend.

you need to take some fine sandpaper and clean the coating off of a couple of inches of tube.also deburr the end, and remove the inside burr, I used a deburring tool, you may have to use a drill bit etc.

the next step is to slide the red end of the fitting on to the tube, because of it's slight flattening, I gave it some taps with a rubber hammer. after this you slide the brass ferrule onto the tube, and screw int he bottom half. when you tighten the two together, the ferrule expands and seals the tube.

next put the fuel line back in it's clips and push the fitting through the hole, now reinstall the grommet. next reinstall the line guards.

you now have an AN line under the car ready to connect up your fuel system.

Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Nice progress!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle

i'm prepping grill food right now, I need to work on the line that connects the pump later, I'm also working on a solution to the grommet.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

+1 for documenting the part number of that fitting. This is exactly what I need to get my fuel lines straightened out. Supposedly these fittings are rated for 50PSI so it should be fine with typical stock fuel injection pressure (40-ish PSI).

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    +1 for documenting the part number of that fitting. This is exactly what I need to get my fuel lines straightened out. Supposedly these fittings are rated for 50PSI so it should be fine with typical stock fuel injection pressure (40-ish PSI).

C|
    if you install it near the bend where the fuel line goes out the body at the back, cut off as little as possible as it's hard to get on the line due to the bend flattening

Vehicle

after lying on the concrete floor for a few hours, it gets harder to do as you get older, I have finally come up with a fuel line between the car and the pump. I bent and flared a bunch of aluminum line, and that just didn't work, I ended up with one 45 and one straight -6 AN fittings, I think I can clamp the line to the E brake line housing bracket bolt, I will make some patterns tomorrow. I damaged the outside of one of my Aeroquip fittings, so that needs to be replaced now, ouch $$, but I know the exact length of hose needed and the fittings to make it work. I'm probably going to make an aluminum skid plate to go over the section of line itself, It will just attach to the end of the pump brackets. I'm mainly worried about vibration getting to the factory hard line, but the line is connected directly to the filter, and the filter is mounted solid to the frame.

Vehicle

I'm almost done with the rock shield for the lines, this is in raw form,more grinding and finishing to do of course, one end will attach with the existing pump cover screws, the other end I'll just install a nut plate in the floor pan and use a stainless socket head.

one of the most useful tools in your tool box is plain old kids modeling clay, I needed to find the centers of the existing screws, a little clay,press in place, and X marks the spot, I just center punched the middle of the Xs.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I knew I came back for a reason. Great seeing updates from all your projects.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

You're still alive :O

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

no, no, I'm dead, but I'd like to pretend I'm alive from time to time.
    - llia

Vehicle

I was going to add that if you want to change a carb to an underbody pump, I've only found two series of pumps that are in the correct pressure range, and can dry lift fuel out of the tank. one is the facet gold series pumps like I used, the main issue of why I changed the pump, they seem to have stopped making the bosch in tank pump and the only replacements available have been complete junk. After almost seven fuel pump failures, I had had enough of the junk,and I went to an under body style pump. The issue seems to be,the bosch pumps had metal impeller blades, and most replacements have plastic blades, the plastic blades simply disintegrate, I'm assuming the problem has gotten worse with the new blended fuels in the past few years. Above all costs avoid the carter replacment, it seems that it's bigger then the others, and it seems to push the pump sock up against the baffle,when this happens the pump starves for fuel, and fails. I also had the pressure relief valve come apart on one and dump pieces in the tank. It was a lot of fun getting them back

http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php

the other is the FR series of pumps from Walbro,they make a series that have the correct pressure range and can also dry lift fuel.

I went through the specs of literally hundreds of pumps over the last several years, and It pretty much came down to two pumps. Low pressure carb pumps just aren't popular anymore.

http://autoperformanceengineering.co.../fr_pumps.html
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 05-10-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Vehicle
    88 lxi hatch

Everytime I read one of your threads,I think lost is one of those people that has some crazy dream and goes out and makes it happen and does it right.