Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: disadvantages of going catless

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: disadvantages of going catless

over here where we have to "certify" engine swaps in our cars we pretty much have to have a cat in the exhaust or it wont pass the cert. Best way around that (all my mates have done it) is to smash the shit out of the inside of the cat and then its just a straight thru pipe pretty much. But in your case where your getting a new system made, just get one of those "high flow" cats, then if the law ever comes knocking your safe.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    over here where we have to "certify" engine swaps in our cars we pretty much have to have a cat in the exhaust or it wont pass the cert. Best way around that (all my mates have done it) is to smash the shit out of the inside of the cat and then its just a straight thru pipe pretty much. But in your case where your getting a new system made, just get one of those "high flow" cats, then if the law ever comes knocking your safe.
    Well I decided not to get a full exhaust cause he quoted me way to much than I can afford so I decided to go the cheap route and just get the cheaper stuff
    But I am gunna have a flow master muffler put on the back

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The Pacesetter kit isn't bad, just oversized with a marginal muffler. I have one, and it really wasn't all that bad.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Lxi Hatchback

Im by chicago too and I dont have a cat, sound wise you only get some extra noise at rpms over 3.5k but for crusing your fine.
    Your Honda, isn't my Honda.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by SkateK610 View Post
    Im by chicago too and I dont have a cat, sound wise you only get some extra noise at rpms over 3.5k but for crusing your fine.
    yeah but the exhaust shop wont let me talk it off and also my dad wont let me take it off. and because i live under his roof what he says goes

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

but see gutting a cat is stupid since you can sell one to a scrapper for like 100-150 out here... lol.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

we can sell the gutted material over here i believe.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

around here, no one really cares on these old cars, they are exempt all over georgia once they reach 25, driving my car on the weekends to enjoy it is not going to have much of an impact on the enviorment, mowing my lawn produces more pollution, there aren't enough of them on the road to even have a measurable impact. They do need a gross polluter law though, if you are driving a car that looks like a mosquitto fogger, get the pile of junk off the road. We have a few like that around here, you can't see the car due to the smoke. it's how many miles per gallon of oil. as far as the size of the exhaust, if you are running good mandrel bends, you will probably be just fine with 2 inch pipe

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    around here, no one really cares on these old cars, they are exempt all over georgia once they reach 25, driving my car on the weekends to enjoy it is not going to have much of an impact on the enviorment, mowing my lawn produces more pollution, there aren't enough of them on the road to even have a measurable impact. They do need a gross polluter law though, if you are driving a car that looks like a mosquitto fogger, get the pile of junk off the road. We have a few like that around here, you can't see the car due to the smoke. it's how many miles per gallon of oil. as far as the size of the exhaust, if you are running good mandrel bends, you will probably be just fine with 2 inch pipe

True; mine got its last emissions test EVER May 2010!!! Clean and sweet!

All the rest is very funny -and true!

If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The issue is that everyone thinks the same thing. Add it all together and it gets hard to breathe.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    The issue is that everyone thinks the same thing. Add it all together and it gets hard to breathe.
    you forget most cars this old don't get driven much, the overall amount of pollutants goes way down, just by the number of much fewer miles being driven, it's all irrelevent anyway, China dumps more polluntants in the ai in a week, then the entire state of Califonia did in the smog days of the 70's, in a year.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Where did you get your stats? I'm betting they came from a very dark and smelly place.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i

Where did you get your stats? I'm betting they came from a very dark and smelly place.

After camping for the last 3 weeks I have some pretty dark and smelly places.

as for what hes saying,I do agree, now adays all the kids seem to want new cars..In texas its hard to find anyone driving a import unless its someone old or some major enthusiest.
    Yea for photoshop...No license plate. :3

"If I shoot a leprechaun, will Lucky charms explode everywhere?"

Vehicle

it's very well documented what the Chinese dump in the air every day, they are a communist state, there is no kind of enviormental control whatsoever,
    it's all about more and more and more production, what goes into the air, or the water or the ground, is of no concern to them. It's also a fact that older cars that are driven for pleasure do not contribute in a significant way to the pollution problem, the cars that do most of the polluting, are the ones that aren't maintained or tuned up, the junkers people drive until they quit in other words

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

...the junkers people drive until they quit in other words
    You mean 90% of the cars on the board?

Did you also know that China is the leading producer of solar cells, and they employ more green tech than we do? They realized that green is where the money is, so they do as much as they can to be green in order make more money.

They're not Communist like you're describing. They're almost every bit as capitalist as we are. There are longer lines for food in the US than there are in China.

Just because there are no laws against dumping toxins doesn't mean that they do. On the flip side, just because there are laws against dumping toxins doesn't mean it happens all the time in the US.

Facts, check them.
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 03-12-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Vehicle

You mean 90% of the cars on the board?

Did you also know that China is the leading producer of solar cells, and they employ more green tech than we do? They realized that green is where the money is, so they do as much as they can to be green in order make more money.

They're not Communist like you're describing. They're almost every bit as capitalist as we are. There are longer lines for food in the US than there are in China.

Just because there are no laws against dumping toxins doesn't mean that they do. On the flip side, just because there are laws against dumping toxins doesn't mean it happens all the time in the US.

Facts, check them.
    if you dislike these cars so much, why are you even here? most people on this board care about their cars and take care of them, many buy them as junk and spend a lot of time fixing them back up

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Way to interpret things wrong, dude.

Vehicle

this is why I don't spend much time here anymore, I happen to care about these cars and have spent untold hours trying to help people on this board with them, most of the cars on this board are not junkers

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Most of the cars here are. The average new member is here to find a fix to keep the car going for another 500 miles.

It's how it is right now.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

there aren't enough of them on the road to even have a measurable impact.
    here an san jose there are a LOT of 3geez on the road.. i WISH we could have no smog after 25 years but that would leave tons of old cars which are likely to be bad polluters on the road.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    here an san jose there are a LOT of 3geez on the road.. i WISH we could have no smog after 25 years but that would leave tons of old cars which are likely to be bad polluters on the road.
    there seem to be a lot in cali, out here you rarely see one. I think there are pockets of them across the country, but overall they are spread pretty thin

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I think they just sold a ton more in Cali, so there are more left out there. They also have a much different car culture there. I wish I could get my hands on some of the old Japanese iron that they have in Cali that never caught on in the South.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Lxi Hatchback

Reason out west they have more of the older cars running is because of(the lack of) SALT!
    Your Honda, isn't my Honda.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

No salt down here. Imports just didn't sell as well in the 80's as Domestics.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

I see many 3G's where I live, but I also live in one of the Rare Counties in California that you only smog if you transfer title.

Get a P.O. BOX In Tuolumne County and forget about smog lol
    2004-2011?