Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: disadvantages of going catless

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Re: disadvantages of going catless

Quote Originally Posted by SkateK610 View Post
    Reason out west they have more of the older cars running is because of(the lack of) SALT!
    i hate salt so much. 90% of all the problems on my car is because of the fucking SALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Salt on the roads sucks,wish they didn't use it around here and our cars would last longer!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

what they used to do was spray the crap out of the bottom of the car with used motor oil, the dirt would stick to it, and form a protective nasty layer, but it really worked, they used to do it commercially at a lot of stations until the epa banned it being done for money. it was very common, best rust protection ever, in the summer it gets power washed off,sometimes the entire rear quarters were sprayed, looked terrible during the winter, but better then rust holes. This is why if you find an old rusty car with a bad oil leak, often the area under the oil won't be rusted. another product is LPS 3, it's a waxy anti corrosion coating, you can spray it in all the seams under the car every year, it's very very good, floatplane pilots live for the stuff, they spray every bit of fuselage they can to protect it from salt spray, i use it at work to coat freshly machined parts, it's nasty tacky stuff but boy does it stop rust
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-13-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

you can get stuff out of the uk called waxoil.
    comes in a big container with a spray lance so you can get right in to the sills and pillars and frame rails.
    as for the under floor, good old bitumanised underseal works for me

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I've heard good things about Por15. Haven't used it myself though.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 lxi

I've used por15 cleaner in a gas tank before and it worked amazingly
    88 lxi:
    shortram, msd blaster 2 coil, lowered 2.5" in the rear 3" in the front, stripped because race car XD

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I can certainly attest to oil keeping your car rust free. Look at any Jeep that has an oil leak (which is most of them). You'll see where the oil has built up is nice and clean, but where the oil stayed away from is rusty.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    you can get stuff out of the uk called waxoil.
    comes in a big container with a spray lance so you can get right in to the sills and pillars and frame rails.
    as for the under floor, good old bitumanised underseal works for me
    thats pretty much the same thing as the Zep LPS 3, really good stuff, it's a wax based coating,blocks air and moisture from the metal, without those you don't get rust

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

not to change the subject of rust prevention but
    i got my car back today and it ended up at 375. the exhaust guy decided to go witha full 2in cat-back exhaust, got a flowmaster on the back and got the flex pipe fixed on the front. i am very happy except it is sooooooooooooooooo quiet in my car its weird. but i can tell the difference it accelerates faster and it revs alot smother

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your old muffler was collapsed. It's much more common than you'd expect.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if your old muffler was collapsed. It's much more common than you'd expect.
    yeah it looked pretty bad when my dad gets home i can get the pics from him cause there on his phone
    but the entire bottom pan of the muffler was hanging down

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    what they used to do was spray the crap out of the bottom of the car with used motor oil, the dirt would stick to it, and form a protective nasty layer, but it really worked, they used to do it commercially at a lot of stations until the epa banned it being done for money. it was very common, best rust protection ever, in the summer it gets power washed off,sometimes the entire rear quarters were sprayed, looked terrible during the winter, but better then rust holes.

That is a great idea! My Prelude doesn't go out in the winter but my truck does.

Only thing is, here in Chicagoland we have super incredible ninja salt. That stuff can get through anything and you can almost hear it rusting out your wheel wells.

A couple years ago I de-catted the Prelude and took the core to the scrap yard. The guy looked at it funny and said something like, "Wow, that's an old one." I got $10 for it; which is $10 more than I had before.

Recent research on exhaust sizing has led me to believe that all of the exhaust scavenging to be had occurs at the collector and in the primary tubes. Beyond that the sole function of the exhaust piping is to route the gas to the back of the car. So as long as it's *big enough*, it's fine. 2" with mandrel bends would be big enough unless you have some serious mods.

C|

I used LPS3 for the two years I lived in Corpus Christi. 1992-1994. Still no rust. LPS3 and frequent hand washings with thorough hosing helps. Hard to do when it's cold out, though.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

cygnus what area of chicago do u live?