Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEEEEELP!! please!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

HEEEEELP!! please!

alright,
    so a few days ago my lx started acting funny. and i cant drive it no due to the problem. It starts up perfectly fine and idles perfect. but after it gets warm, it putters violently then dies. now if i drive it, once it gets warm, it dies if i come to a complete stop or go below 10 mph. before this problem arose, it ran well. it idled where it was supposed to on a complete stop, but still had the putter problem. i thought it was the fuel filter, so i changed it, but nothing got better. then i was told its probably the o2 sensor. is that right?? i really need help. cause i need this car for work. i need to fix it a.s.a.p. and i dont want to buy a new fuel pump or o2 sensor or whatever and have it not be the problem at all. ya know?? pleeeaaaase help

Awaiting Activation
    Vehicle
    1987 accord dx hatchback

Re: HEEEEELP!! please!

check your o2 sensor

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

alright just take it out and look at it? what exactly am i lookin for?

Awaiting Activation
    Vehicle
    1987 accord dx hatchback

if its shot it will be very black and burnt looking check your thermostat too

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

The O2 is for emissions control purposes, i don't think a bad O2 sensor will cause the car to die.

There are a lot of things to check.

I would start checking electrical problems, check if all pistons are working OK, dissconnect one spark plug at the time and see if there is change in the engine RPMS. A bad spark plug / wire will not cause any change.

Then the classy in these cars, vacuum leaks. Check the hoses that are rubbing against metals, check the vacuum actuators (with a help of a hose pull vacuum with your mouth, then plug with your tongue and feel if it holds vacuum)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

well im planning on changing the spark plugs anyway. where exactly is the o2 sensor and vacuum actuators?? better yet, where and what is everything i should check for??

Vehicle

I am thinking in something else you may want to check, the choke plate. If you take the air filter and the metal screen out, you will see the choke plate closed if the engine is cold, once the car is fired up, the choke plate will open slowly all the way. You can use your finger and move it just to check if it is not stucked or something. A stuck-closed choke plate will cause more or less the failure you are describing.

Forget about the actuators for now, start with the vacuum leaks in the hoses, which also can cause the car to die during a complete stop.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

so how do i fix the vacuum leaks if there are any?

Quote Originally Posted by RallyKid View Post
    so how do i fix the vacuum leaks if there are any?
    by replacing the vacuum line(small rubber hose) that leaks. you can buy vacuum line by the ft at any auto parts store for dirt cheap. buy extra hose so you know you have enough; also you can trim this stuff down to size w/ scissors.

i did a search of the site and found something that might help get you started finding the leak if you have one.

"The easy way is to get a can of carb cleaner. With the car running spray a small squirt directly into the carb, you will notice it raises the rpms for a couple of seconds. Next spray cleaner on the vacuum lines and around the connections slowly. If you idle raises again that means that there is a leak and the carb cleaner is being sucked through the hole or crack. If you do not have emissions testing I highly reccomend removing most of the vacuum lines, there is a thread concerning it posted in the HOWTO section of this board. Good luck." -a member named K-Roy
    Last edited by 1813mdw; 03-20-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: .

My opinion check to see if your getting spark in all cylinders. Pull a spark plug and reinstall one by one whilee the car is running. Pull in order from right side to left side of engine. If your engine has combustion in all 4 cylinders as it should you then you will notice it idles differently after you pull each plug. But if when you pull a plug and there is no difference in idle/combustion then you need to replace your distributor rotor and distributor cap. Its fairly cheap and might fix your problem. If it doesn't then at that point you can go ahead and buy new spark plugs and spark plug cables.

-dan

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

alright update, the car starts. ive been starting it everyday the past 4 days so i dont lose charge or anything. anyway, it idles fine and everything for a couple minutes, then once it warms up, it starts to putter rapidly and then eventually dies. but before it dies, if i put it in drive, it dies right after. and if i start it right after it dies, it starts, goes to 1000rpms, then dies not even a couple seconds after starting it. i bought new spark plugs just need to change them out. NGK i believe. forgot. ha. i just really need this problem fixed. ASAP. i dont want to buy a part and change it out then find out it wasnt even the problem. ill change out the spark plugs and if that doesnt do it i might try the o2 sensor cause ive had a good number of people tell me it may be that. thanks everyone for your posts, PLEASE keep posting i need and want all the help and input i can get.

Vehicle

One way to quickly circumbent your problem is to adjust the idle stop screw.

Its located in the back of the carb and you are gonna need to use both hands to adjust it (it's really hard to adjust it due to the vacuum tubes in the back of the engine). After your engine warms up the choke is retracted and then its responsibility of the idle stop to keep the idle speed up.
    So adjust this screw to avoid your engine to die, then keep looking for any other failure.
    Last edited by Buzo; 03-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Start by looking for vacuum leaks. With the trouble you're having, you probably have a very big leak. If it isn't a vacuum leak, then I'd say you need a new carb.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

well i had a mechanic from jiffy lube look at it, and he said its proly an exhaust leak. but my friend and i adjusted the distributor and it actually helped. it idled for almost 10 minutes(hasnt idled longer than 4 or 5 minutes y itself since this problem came up). The mechanic then told me to get a new distributor and it might help. But then my friend and i thought that maybe its the timing? could be off. we were looking for the knob or whatever to adjust it but couldnt find it. and i just read on a forum on another site that it may be the ECU. so ill check that out. the only problem with this car is that it doesnt idle by itself after it warms up. and that it dies when coming to a full stop. in order to drive this car, (its an auto trans) i have to have my left foot on the brake and right on the gas in order to keep it running. i really dont want to spend money if i dont have to.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

well i had a mechanic from jiffy lube look at it, and he said its proly an exhaust leak. but my friend and i adjusted the distributor and it actually helped. it idled for almost 10 minutes(hasnt idled longer than 4 or 5 minutes y itself since this problem came up). The mechanic then told me to get a new distributor and it might help. But then my friend and i thought that maybe its the timing? could be off. we were looking for the knob or whatever to adjust it but couldnt find it. and i just read on a forum on another site that it may be the ECU. so ill check that out. the only problem with this car is that it doesnt idle by itself after it warms up. and that it dies when coming to a full stop. in order to drive this car, (its an auto trans) i have to have my left foot on the brake and right on the gas in order to keep it running. i really dont want to spend money if i dont have to.
    #1: its not your timing.

#2. sounds more like a vac leak or fuel problem.

i would mess around the the idle screw on your carb and then check your distributor(which shouldn't be the problem unless it has hesitation when accel). could be possible that the fuel filters might be clogged(there are 2 of them) i really don't know anything about carbs but following Buzo idea first and adjust your idle and check them Vac. Hoses.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

well i changed out the first one by the fuel tank in the rear of the car but i have no idea where the second one is. i know its supposed to be under the hood though, or so i read. and the idle adjustment screw is on the back of the carb right? i cant find that either. i was told i have to use both hands to adjust it because of all the lines. i need help locating the vacuum lines though.. lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord 4 door sedan

well i changed out the first one by the fuel tank in the rear of the car but i have no idea where the second one is. i know its supposed to be under the hood though, or so i read. and the idle adjustment screw is on the back of the carb right? i cant find that either. i was told i have to use both hands to adjust it because of all the lines. i need help locating the vacuum lines though.. lol
    Vacuum lines are black and many of them have numbers on them in these cars. They are like rubbery hoses about 1/4" around. Try the carb cleaner method. Did you try any of the other suggestions? Checking spark plug wires and such?
    How about the choke plate? You need to do your end, we can't do it for you. When we have more info we can help!
    Good luck!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    The O2 is for emissions control purposes, i don't think a bad O2 sensor will cause the car to die.

There are a lot of things to check.

I would start checking electrical problems, check if all pistons are working OK, dissconnect one spark plug at the time and see if there is change in the engine RPMS. A bad spark plug / wire will not cause any change.

Then the classy in these cars, vacuum leaks. Check the hoses that are rubbing against metals, check the vacuum actuators (with a help of a hose pull vacuum with your mouth, then plug with your tongue and feel if it holds vacuum)
    the 02 sensor lets the computer determine how much air to let into the manifold to create a proper mixture, it's an ass backwards fuel injection system

the other filter is right by the carb, follow the fuel line from the firewall and you'll find it, have you checked vaccume advance? if the advance diaphram has a hole in it, the engine won't advance and you will have a vaccume leak, plus the retard side of that diaphram will pull the timing retarded if the advance is broke. the fact it got better by adjusting the timing is telling me you have a bad adance diaphram
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-29-2011 at 04:19 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord DX

i hate to say this to anyone, because i at one time didn't know a nut from a bolt as well, and i don't want to come off as an ass, but it really sounds like you shouldn't be messing with your car at this point. especially considering the importance your impressing on the fact it needs to be fixed quickly

several people have told you multiple times what to look for, and instead of investigating that, you run off in another direction and just keep saying you need this fixed asap

since you don't seem to know your way around a car, look for a reasonable priced mechanic and get it fixed.

the guy at jiffy lube doesn't count as a mechanic, he's an oil monkey, and they shouldn't be allowed to speak of anything other then oil since 98% of them know about nothing else, and most of them i have met don't even know about oil.

btw, no offense meant to jiffy lube oil monkeys
    Last edited by anubis_4_99; 03-29-2011 at 05:44 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

Talking Re: HEEEEELP!! please!

thanks everyone for your suggestions. first off, everything ive done myself: changed oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, air filter and spark plugs. ive had a mechanic come look at it and he checked all the vacuum hoses(which i feel stupid for asking about those) and he said they were good. he noticed the distributor, when he turned it, moves in and out of place. its a little hard to describe. anyway, he believes its the distributor. i read about it, and my problems have the symptoms of that, as well as some other things. i tried the spark plug test, but it doesnt idle long enough to perform the entire test. the mechanic and i also noticed that the second the car dies, it sprays..excess fuel im guessing?? anyway, sprays something out of the carb. the mechanic also said he doesnt think its the fuel pump or a fuel problem. his main concern right now is the distributor, or the rotor in it. and to anubis, yes, im not a mechanic or anywhere close at all to one, but i know my general way around a vehicle. hondas, not so much because theyre different. but ive defly been learning a good amount from mine. i have not been going different directions from what people have been telling me to try. i just havent had a chance to come on here and give you the news on trying them. ive had many people tell me different things it could be. and yes your right that most of the "mechanics" from jiffy lube only know oil and what not, but the one that looked at my car had a civic around the same year as my accord and did all the work himself. and one last thing, i dont need to be lectured and told to not work on my vehicle. for your info, im not doing all this myself, besides the listed things above. i know damn well that i dont know everything or anything close to everything. but i learn from doing and getting help, which many people have given me and i thank them so much for helping me with this problem. if you didnt want to come off as an ass, you should have just either offered help, or not said anything at all. im pretty sure you know as well as i do, that you learn more about cars by working on them and also learn from failure. so to everyone that has helped me, thank you so so so much. im still continuing on trying everything you tell me. and i will continue to let you know how it works out.

Vehicle

thanks everyone for your suggestions. first off, everything ive done myself: changed oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, air filter and spark plugs. ive had a mechanic come look at it and he checked all the vacuum hoses(which i feel stupid for asking about those) and he said they were good. he noticed the distributor, when he turned it, moves in and out of place. its a little hard to describe. anyway, he believes its the distributor. i read about it, and my problems have the symptoms of that, as well as some other things. i tried the spark plug test, but it doesnt idle long enough to perform the entire test. the mechanic and i also noticed that the second the car dies, it sprays..excess fuel im guessing?? anyway, sprays something out of the carb. the mechanic also said he doesnt think its the fuel pump or a fuel problem. his main concern right now is the distributor, or the rotor in it. and to anubis, yes, im not a mechanic or anywhere close at all to one, but i know my general way around a vehicle. hondas, not so much because theyre different. but ive defly been learning a good amount from mine. i have not been going different directions from what people have been telling me to try. i just havent had a chance to come on here and give you the news on trying them. ive had many people tell me different things it could be. and yes your right that most of the "mechanics" from jiffy lube only know oil and what not, but the one that looked at my car had a civic around the same year as my accord and did all the work himself. and one last thing, i dont need to be lectured and told to not work on my vehicle. for your info, im not doing all this myself, besides the listed things above. i know damn well that i dont know everything or anything close to everything. but i learn from doing and getting help, which many people have given me and i thank them so much for helping me with this problem. if you didnt want to come off as an ass, you should have just either offered help, or not said anything at all. im pretty sure you know as well as i do, that you learn more about cars by working on them and also learn from failure. so to everyone that has helped me, thank you so so so much. im still continuing on trying everything you tell me. and i will continue to let you know how it works out.
    let me uncross my eyes now, I know you may know a lot about cars, but there are specific things you may not know about this car, People here know what they are talking about, we are trying to help you. The nightmare vacuum system and controls to this Accord are unique and unlike any other Honda, just "looking" at the vacuum hoses means nothing. I understand your mechanic friend may have a civic the same year, but this isn't a civic, and the engine and controls are nothing like a civic, it's an entire different ball game with this car, we will help you, but listen and follow the advice of others here and you will be back on the road

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

no i know theres defly stuff i dont know about this car. and i know just looking doesnt do anything. i understand everyone is helping me and im doing everything everyone is telling me to do. im sorry if my last reply offended anyone. i just got a little offended and only meant the last part of the post to that other person. im pretty sure ive made an ass of myself and i do feel stupid for blowing up about it. i understand if noone wants to help anymore and i will not hold it against anyone. i really do appeciate the help ive been given and the future help (hopefully). you guys are the reason i joined this site because you all know about these cars and i really do rely on all of your inputs. again, sorry if i offended anyone and sorry for blowing up. thanks everyone.

Vehicle

no i know theres defly stuff i dont know about this car. and i know just looking doesnt do anything. i understand everyone is helping me and im doing everything everyone is telling me to do. im sorry if my last reply offended anyone. i just got a little offended and only meant the last part of the post to that other person. im pretty sure ive made an ass of myself and i do feel stupid for blowing up about it. i understand if noone wants to help anymore and i will not hold it against anyone. i really do appeciate the help ive been given and the future help (hopefully). you guys are the reason i joined this site because you all know about these cars and i really do rely on all of your inputs. again, sorry if i offended anyone and sorry for blowing up. thanks everyone.
    it's cool, I'm sure everyone will still help, this site is generally full of far fewer assholes then most honda sites, cool people here, one thing you need to get is a hand vaccume pump, it's going to help a ton with the diagnostics, that and there is an actron low pressure fuel/vaccume gauge I think most aut parts stores carry it, with those tools and the diagnostics in the manual, it will help you work through this
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-31-2011 at 10:09 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lx Sedan

well i hope i wasnt one of those assholes. and if i was....oops. so for the hand vaccuum pump..be prepared im gonna sound dumb here... where and what do i with it exactly? and the mechanic i had helping me, has flaked 2 days in a row and has the manual for my car so i need to get another one. lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord DX

im sorry if i offended you at all, i was just suggesting that maybe you should take it to a shop and get it running, and learn later so you aren't out a car as it seems its rather important for you to have it running soon from what you've been saying

if your distributor is wiggling in the hole, that is definitely not a good sign and needs to be addressed regardless of if its the cause of the problem or not, because it soon will be a problem

trust me it is not good to let it be, this is what can happen if its left alone

to help find vacuum leaks you can use carb cleaner and spray it around the vac hoses while your car idles, if the idle changes suddenly and goes back to normal when you stop, you've found a leak, dig into it and address it. dont just spray all over the place, be specific where you spray and keep it away from areas that could ignite it.

im more then willing to offer help where i can, as i've needed alot in the past so know how it feels

again sorry for earlier, i was really only trying to help