Thread: '89 LXi runs great but is losing coolant and overheating! Please Help!

DX User
    Vehicle
    2001 Honda Accord,1982 Honda Accord LX, 1982 Honda Prelude, 1989 Honda Accord LXi (RIP), 1988 Honda Accord DX (RIP)

'89 LXi runs great but is losing coolant and overheating! Please Help!

OK, so my '89 LXi with 222,000 miles has been losing coolant and overheating, but only when idleing or moving at less than 20 mph. I have looked everywhere for answers and cannot find one anywhere. The car has an new radiator, thermostat, and water pump. It runs perfect, the oil and coolant both appear normal in color, there is no smoke from the exhaust and I cant find any leaks on the ground where i park the car overnight. I am completely lost! Thank you for any suggestions!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: '89 LXi runs great but is losing coolant and overheating! Please Help!

What condition are your hoses in? What about the bypass hoses? If they haven't been changed, it's time.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

You should also replace your radiator cap. This is more than likely your problem considering you don't see any leaks. Your thermostat has a pressure relief valve that may be stuck and when pressure builds in the system it allows coolant to flow into the overflow tank nut when it needs to be sucked (the system uses vacuum to pull coolant back in from the overflow) back into the system the pressure relief valve isn't allowing it to return. Let me know if this helps.

-dan

LX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi 5sp, 293k

What mixture is your antifreeze? 50/50, no mix or all water? Boiling it away and causing you to refill. As said above the correct radiator cap is essential in proper operation of the cooling system as is bleeding the system.
    '86 Accord LXi Sedan my dependable daily driver w\318k. "Why yes I do have a 3GEEE!"

DX User
    Vehicle
    2001 Honda Accord,1982 Honda Accord LX, 1982 Honda Prelude, 1989 Honda Accord LXi (RIP), 1988 Honda Accord DX (RIP)

I forgot to mention, The radiator cap was replaced along with the radiator. However i did a thourogh inspection of the hoses and found that the lower radiator hose has a very small leak due to rubbing against the framing of the cooling fan. I have replaced the hose and hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestions and i will keep you posted!

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I heard no mention of the radiator fan coming on as it gets hotter. Is it?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Quote Originally Posted by Twiewel89lxi View Post
    OK, so my '89 LXi with 222,000 miles has been losing coolant and overheating, but only when idleing or moving at less than 20 mph. I have looked everywhere for answers and cannot find one anywhere. The car has an new radiator, thermostat, and water pump. It runs perfect, the oil and coolant both appear normal in color, there is no smoke from the exhaust and I cant find any leaks on the ground where i park the car overnight. I am completely lost! Thank you for any suggestions!
    Pull your radiator cap off, whenever the car has cooled from sitting at LEAST an hour. Crank the car without the cap on, and see if you see bubbles. If you do, time for a new head gasket. If it's blown, it'll look like this linked video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1MY...eature=related
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"