Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: losts power steering filter

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: losts power steering filter

Dr Snooze installed the big Nappa inline power steering filter, it's a cartridge filter inside, exactly like a regular oil filter, the only difference is it has a built in magnet, by adding an external filter magnet, it would be exactly the same. I'm thinking of installing it inline with the pump inlet, the pump is a gear rotor type pump, exactly like an oil pump, with the resevoir above the filter, once it's primed, the fluid would have to stay in the line, when the pump isn't running, the fluid can't flow backwards through the filter back up the line and into the resevoir, fluid is always flowing out of the resevoir towards the filter by gravity, I doubt it will clog, there isn't enough dirt in the system to cause a clog, the main thing to look for are metal particles. the system is pretty much sealed. The pump won't have any problems priming itself, it's just like the oil pump, it picks up fluid just like the oil pump pulls oil out of the pan. It's an interesting note, that if anyone ever runs a dry sump system, with a proper pressure relief, and bypass back to the pan, a power steering pump will make an excellent external oil pump.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    Snooze is the outlet to the pump filtered or the inlets filtered?
    The factory setup is to filter the oil coming out of the reservoir and supplying the pump. That supply line comes out of the bottom of the reservoir and loops over the top of the pump. It's the easiest spot to put the inline filter.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    The factory setup is to filter the oil coming out of the reservoir and supplying the pump. That supply line comes out of the bottom of the reservoir and loops over the top of the pump. It's the easiest spot to put the inline filter.
    thats what I was thinking, thanks!!

Hmm. The interesting thing I noticed when backflushing my in-reservoir filter was that the OEM filter allows quite a good flow of fluid from gravity alone. I am not sure if the same can be said of any aftermarket filter. Maybe the Honda engineers who designed it intended only for larger things to be removed.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    Hmm. The interesting thing I noticed when backflushing my in-reservoir filter was that the OEM filter allows quite a good flow of fluid from gravity alone. I am not sure if the same can be said of any aftermarket filter. Maybe the Honda engineers who designed it intended only for larger things to be removed.
    when I get it plumbed, I'll run a line back into the reservoir, and test just the pump to reservoir circuit, I'll just turn the pump by hand, the power steering pump is just like an oil pump, I don't see it having an issue pulling fluid through the filter, snooze had his in the inlet and it works fine, it's just like a spin on oil filter inside of the case, I wish I had saved the cutaways of one of those, I had found a picture of one online

Just playing devil's advocate. When I got the rebuilt transmission installed it came with one of those inline filters that looks exactly like the one Snooz used for the P/S. The company that did the transmission...

http://www.hecreman.com/

requires the use of the filter to maintain warranty coverage. My rebuilt transmission has a 3yr/36K mi warranty.

Vehicle

If the transmission hadn't gone on the civic, I was going to install a spin on on it, thats what destroys most of them, metal debris clogs the linear shift solenoid valve, line pressure drops and third and fourth gear clutch packs slip and burn up. a lot of import transmissions have no form of filter, so thats probably why one is required on your car to maintain warranty

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Just playing devil's advocate. When I got the rebuilt transmission installed it came with one of those inline filters that looks exactly like the one Snooz used for the P/S. The company that did the transmission...

http://www.hecreman.com/

requires the use of the filter to maintain warranty coverage. My rebuilt transmission has a 3yr/36K mi warranty.
    Right! I was going to put one of those on my auto trans, but I ended up just swapping to manual instead. I can't understand why Honda didn't use some kind of replaceable filter on the autos. Every other manufacturer does. Of course, the 3g autos still go 300k miles, so it's hard to argue much with that.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Right! I was going to put one of those on my auto trans, but I ended up just swapping to manual instead. I can't understand why Honda didn't use some kind of replaceable filter on the autos. Every other manufacturer does. Of course, the 3g autos still go 300k miles, so it's hard to argue much with that.
    unfortunately those civic ones fail all the time, I ended up taking a huge loss on the car, never again will I own an automatic with no filter. I'm changing the Lincoln one this weekend as a matter of fact, I'm amazed Ford made a transmission with a relatively easy to change filter, you loosen the pan to drain the fluid, pull the pan off, pop off the little filter, put on a new one, and a new pan gasket, and you are good to go

Talking about automatic transmissions...

I think we all know that there is a filter screen inside. Of course, it's not really replaceable like the one on Lost's Lincoln, or my daughter's Infiniti, or my girlfriend's Highlander, etc. When my transmission finally failed at 305,000 miles I wondered if a replaceable filter would have made it last any longer. If not, then the Honda engineers did a good thing by not adding a maintenance item that would just cause trouble and expense over the car's life. I am guessing that the only reason I have an inline magnetic filter now is that the rebuilder knows that a reman is likely to shed a little more metallic debris early in it's life. I think this because there is a requirement to replace the fluid every 30K miles using only Honda Z1, but there is no requirement to change the filter. Of course, I will, but it is still worth noting.

Vehicle

Talking about automatic transmissions...

I think we all know that there is a filter screen inside. Of course, it's not really replaceable like the one on Lost's Lincoln, or my daughter's Infiniti, or my girlfriend's Highlander, etc. When my transmission finally failed at 305,000 miles I wondered if a replaceable filter would have made it last any longer. If not, then the Honda engineers did a good thing by not adding a maintenance item that would just cause trouble and expense over the car's life. I am guessing that the only reason I have an inline magnetic filter now is that the rebuilder knows that a reman is likely to shed a little more metallic debris early in it's life. I think this because there is a requirement to replace the fluid every 30K miles using only Honda Z1, but there is no requirement to change the filter. Of course, I will, but it is still worth noting.
    I think it's mainly cost is the reason they don't add one, on the Honda one for example, it's the debris as the clutch packs wear, thats what clogs the valves, if a good spin on filter was there, it would have captured all of that. it wouldn't have been hard to make a small filter base on the case itself. every transmission, whether new or old, creates some metal as it wears, what often happens is it forms a paste of metal and oil and clogs passages in the transmission. I'll have to do an experiment, take some super fine steel dust from work and mix it with oil. I have to clean that mess off the machines all the time, and it's a mess, I can see how it would cause problems in the transmission case
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.

I think it's mainly cost
    That's what is odd to me. Do we all agree that this vintage of Accord leaned toward being "over-built" to capture U.S. market share in the late 80's? That was pretty much the focus of the Japanese business model at the time. If nearly every other car on the road had a changeable transmission filter (Saturn even had a spin-on at the time) why would Honda delete it for cost? I am going with the theory that the engineers certainly knew of the wear material that would accumulate. So, perhaps the internal filter, or even the case design trapped the majority of it, thereby allowing the transmission to require no filter changes for its useful life. I guess the only way to know for sure is if we could find a few people who saw this early on and installed extra filters. I'm not trying to argue, just make a point that adding things on, however beneficial they may seem, may not produce the desired results and could, in fact, just end up creating more trouble and expense in the form of extra maintenance.

Vehicle

I know a lot of people who installed them, and extra coolers on cars and trucks where they were going to tow, and have transmissions running for hundreds of thousands of miles, the three g transmission wasn't bad, but this entire series of transmissions on the later model Honda's had a major issue. I went down and talked to Mickey Jackson at Jacksons transmissions, they've been in business for over 40 years, and the answer from him was both a cooler and a filter on an auto, change the filter every time you change oil, it's a little bit of extra fluid and a filter, but for what a rebuild costs, well worth the few bucks. also when you add a cooler, don't remove the radiator cooler, run the new cooler in series, the radiator cooler also warms the transmission fluid when it's cold, once it's at a certain temp it helps keep it from going above that temp

Vehicle

I know the fittings look a little strange, but after hooking them up and having them perfect, I discovered the inlet was hooked to the outlet and vice versa , this is the only way to make the lines clear the sheet metal. I need to put rubber over some of the lines to protect them from abrading other stuff. The reservoir is vented through the overflow can where the AC dryer used to be,it still needs a filter

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

That last pic.... So many an lines! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

I like the black painted army canteen as a P/S reservoir.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    That last pic.... So many an lines! Lol
    I had removed about ten, I simplified the venting on the fuel bowls

Vehicle
    88 accord hatch

best looking a20 engine compartment ever

Vehicle

it's going to look a lot better when I finish painting the under hood area and finish hooking up the wires, when I put the pedals in I'll probably remove the master cylinder and booster and paint the booster black again. I need to use another one of those AN to hard line adapter fittings on the fuel line at the firewall so the rubber hose will be gone

Strangely enough, it does not even look like an automobile engine. With a combination of late 80's Honda "complicatedness" and good 'ole American ingenuity it looks like something far more industrial., Gauges, industrial fittings, looks like something that can be maintained instead of the sterile EC's of our today. It's very obvious that car builders do not want us messing with their stuff anymore. It's all the more reason to keep this vintage of car alive.

Vehicle

Strangely enough, it does not even look like an automobile engine. With a combination of late 80's Honda "complicatedness" and good 'ole American ingenuity it looks like something far more industrial., Gauges, industrial fittings, looks like something that can be maintained instead of the sterile EC's of our today. It's very obvious that car builders do not want us messing with their stuff anymore. It's all the more reason to keep this vintage of car alive.
    yep everything is function, can you tell I work around aircraft every day? a lot of stuff looks heavy but is really lightweight, that oil cooler only weighs a couple of pounds as it's from an aircraft. One of the things I did was get rid of every rubber fuel line piece from the tank to the carbs, I won't have an issue with the crap formally known as gas,they sell now. The Facet fuel pump is rated for it. as well as all the parts Z therapy puts in their carb rebuilds

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I actually found a 76 on island that sells "non-ethanol gas for watercraft", well that's what the label said anyways.

I tried using it but it pumped out .46 cents worth and stopped.
    Last edited by A20A1; 04-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I predict that you're going to get all done and then decide to paint your engine bay. You'll have to pull it all out again...

Then you'll put it all in again and decide you want to tuck...
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

I predict that you're going to get all done and then decide to paint your engine bay. You'll have to pull it all out again...

Then you'll put it all in again and decide you want to tuck...
    I'm painting it a section at a time, the part where the oil cooler is is already painted, as well as where the power steering reservoir is. I had tractor paint color matched to the original greek white, it goes on with a brush and self levels. It's a very tough paint, it just takes a few days to dry, the paint near the reservoir is just dirty right now

Vehicle

the final line for the power steering ALMOST fit, but a 1/4 inch too short, figures

I had to tear it apart again,every time you take one apart the surface gets more and more damaged

FINALLY the stupid thing fits