Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: losts power steering filter

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

losts power steering filter

Ok Snooze got me started on this, I already had a small remote filter adapter around, it originally took a fram PH8A, but I found a much smaller better filter that fits the base. I didn't really have anywhere to mount it under the hood, so It's now in the area under the bumper, I wanted easy access, so first I made this

I'll be posting pictures of the bracketry I just finished, as well as pictures of it mounted in a just a few minutes
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Vehicle

Re: losts power steering filter

Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-29-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That's some nice work there Lost. As always.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

yet another step in the ever expanding process of overcomplicating and adding weight to lost's hatch, for this sir we salute you.
    dead white and blue

^^LOL! You have to admit, though, he's quite the fabricator. After careful consideration I have chosen to leave my entire PS system as it is - OEM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    yet another step in the ever expanding process of overcomplicating and adding weight to lost's hatch, for this sir we salute you.
    well the resevoir no longer has a filter, and there's supposed to be one, so I added it back, after seeing what snoozes filter caught, and what other people filters have caught, who have added filters, I'm glad it's there, I have a brand new steering rack and rebuilt PS pump, so i'm going to protect them. as far as weight, everyone forgets how much weight I removed before adding anything, I took probably close to 300 pounds out of this car, afte weighing the old exhaust and manifold, and weighing the new stuff, i just cut another 35 pounds. Regular steel exauste tubing and an iron manifold weight a bunch. The stainless tubing i used is a special lightweight aircraft alloy

Vehicle

this is the filter I found, The adapter takes a PH8a which is huge, I found this one which matches the adapter and is much smaller. if you ever need a small fluid filter, the remote adapters which take the ph8a are the most common, then this filter or equivilent will fit the adapter

Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-29-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

looks good but yeah. that hatch is one of a kind

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    well the resevoir no longer has a filter, and there's supposed to be one, so I added it back, after seeing what snoozes filter caught, and what other people filters have caught, who have added filters, I'm glad it's there, I have a brand new steering rack and rebuilt PS pump, so i'm going to protect them. as far as weight, everyone forgets how much weight I removed before adding anything, I took probably close to 300 pounds out of this car, afte weighing the old exhaust and manifold, and weighing the new stuff, i just cut another 35 pounds. Regular steel exauste tubing and an iron manifold weight a bunch. The stainless tubing i used is a special lightweight aircraft alloy
    i'd like to see where this 300lbs came from.

and really man it's your car but i would have thought just going the route of the manual rack would have probably saved you weight as well as given you less resistance on the motor.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

and really man it's your car but i would have thought just going the route of the manual rack would have probably saved you weight as well as given you less resistance on the motor.
    i've taken it out piece by piece, every weigh the entire AC system? it all adds up, just putting in the odyssey battery cut 25 pounds over the old standard battery, even the upholstery and backing materials I put in are lightweight compared to stock, ounces add up to pounds pretty quick, remember I had this car to a shell at one point, some of the ways I saved weight will stay a secret, I don't tell all my secrets, someday I may build a race one, and thats one of my advantages,as far as what I've added, most everything is made of light aircraft alloy,

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

what do the 9000 flat head screws do?
    2004-2011?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei View Post
    what do the 9000 flat head screws do?
    well I was just playing around with those, i could have probably used four, all this work and no one will ever see it but me

Vehicle

you know above a certain speed, all of the fluid bypasses the rack, so the pump stops being anything but a light load , I'm trying to remember but I believe it goes through the cooler and back to the reservoir when it's bypassing

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

You talk about taking that much weight out when you just put it back in with other random things, I don't see the logic.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

i've taken it out piece by piece, every weigh the entire AC system? it all adds up, just putting in the odyssey battery cut 25 pounds over the old standard battery, even the upholstery and backing materials I put in are lightweight compared to stock, ounces add up to pounds pretty quick, remember I had this car to a shell at one point, some of the ways I saved weight will stay a secret, I don't tell all my secrets, someday I may build a race one, and thats one of my advantages,as far as what I've added, most everything is made of light aircraft alloy,
    i weighed all the pieces of the ac system on my civic which has a slightly smaller compressor and it only wieghed about 50 lbs for all of it. so you're saying you did that 6 times essentially. i'll say it's added up but i would doubt 300. i got the crx down to 1950ish without me in it and that was only 150-180 lbs lighter than stock and it was gutted with no ac components, no interior, an odyssey battery and several stock parts removed.

you know above a certain speed, all of the fluid bypasses the rack, so the pump stops being anything but a light load , I'm trying to remember but I believe it goes through the cooler and back to the reservoir when it's bypassing
    yes this is understood, does the weight somehow change at that higher speed? to me i prefer manual steering racks just like i prefer manual windows, manual transmissions and manual mirrors.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

i weighed all the pieces of the ac system on my civic which has a slightly smaller compressor and it only wieghed about 50 lbs for all of it. so you're saying you did that 6 times essentially. i'll say it's added up but i would doubt 300. i got the crx down to 1950ish without me in it and that was only 150-180 lbs lighter than stock and it was gutted with no ac components, no interior, an odyssey battery and several stock parts removed.

yes this is understood, does the weight somehow change at that higher speed? to me i prefer manual steering racks just like i prefer manual windows, manual transmissions and manual mirrors.
    I never said the AC system weighed 300 pounds, I said it was a lot of weight. it's gone now, I hate AC, you save weight piece by piece, and what i've added back in is lightweight, I don't feel like driving a car with no interior, and a single seat, it's an Accord not a civic,

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

it's an Accord not a civic,

What the fuck are you talking about?

Vehicle

you said you took out a bunch of weight, i said i took out almost everything in my crx and it didn't equal 300 lbs... i also never said the ac system weighed 300 lbs, i said mine weighed 50 so i'd be pretty curious to see what else you removed to = 6x that weight.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

why is it nessessary to start shit in my thread?

Vehicle

i made one comment and you felt it necessary to try to refute it. you always do this after the fact, you feed the troll then ask why i continue.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

Vehicle

filled and sanded

I have been thinking about this modification since you started the thread. Which P/S line will you splice the filter into? You obviously can't use the pressure side because that is too much pressure. If you use the return side what is the potential consequence of a clogged filter? Is there enough pressure on the return side to get through the filter when it's clean and enough pressure to open the filter's bypass valve if it gets dirty?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    I have been thinking about this modification since you started the thread. Which P/S line will you splice the filter into? You obviously can't use the pressure side because that is too much pressure. If you use the return side what is the potential consequence of a clogged filter? Is there enough pressure on the return side to get through the filter when it's clean and enough pressure to open the filter's bypass valve if it gets dirty?
    I'm trying to decide which ones to use, there are two returns, one from the cooler and one from the rack, either way it's a partial filtration, but thats better then nothing. I believe if the filter should clog the pressure would simply bypass through the other circuit, in the factory reservoir, both inlets go through the same filter I believe, Snooze is the outlet to the pump filtered or the inlets filtered?

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    how much pressure is involved in the ps system? oil filters are designed to bypass internally if a blockage occurs; no longer filtering but allowing the flow to remain. i've pulled filters off cars at my work that when you empty them nothing liquid came out; but sludge and shavings instead. some people literally don't change their oil for years(not joking) at a time