Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor

This is a small project I'm installing while I'm doing the electrical work, this is the SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor. I'm going to probably pull the alternator warning bulb, remove the red filter from behind the icon, and install the L.E.D. from this in it's place. This gives you an instant status of your electrical system, it's a tri color LED. when the system voltage is normal, 12-15 volts DC it's a steady green, 11-12 volts, it's amber for caution, 10-11 volts DC, it's red for warning, when it encounters abnormal voltage, over 15 volts, the LED flashes green, when below 10 volts it flashes red. the system also cycles through the colors on start up to do a self diagnostic
    under a non flashing state, the LED dims after a short period of time, to prevent glare at night. when it encounters a high or low voltage situation, it goes to full brightness. This is much better then the simple idiot light, which really tells you nothing. All it does is come on when the alternator quits, no warning, no indication of whats going on, no indication of high voltage. No advance warning of a problem, I have a voltmeter, but sometimes it's hard to notice a problem if you aren't watching it. I have a number of items that can be damaged by high voltage, including my fuel pump, my ignition box, and my Odyssey battery, . Not to mention it could damage other onboard electronics, or factory modules. We have had several members lately who have had alternator problems with high voltage doing damage

These are sold on Ebay right now for around 30 bucks, cheap insurance to protect your electrical system.

Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Re: SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor

Interesting device, what does it splice into exactly?
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    Interesting device, what does it splice into exactly?
    just power and ground, it monitors the voltage,just like a voltmeter

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Wouldn't the reading be inconsistent if you have numerous accessories on at once? Or is it made to work with those in mind?
    Andrew.

Vehicle

Wouldn't the reading be inconsistent if you have numerous accessories on at once? Or is it made to work with those in mind?
    well it's measuring line voltage, I guess it would depend on where you tied in, if the voltage is dropping that much, then you probably have an electrical issue anyway. the ranges it operates in seem to be wide enough to not have an issue, with the alternator operating correctly it should stay a steady green, no matter what you have operating,

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well yes, in a normal case.

However I think in your case you've added quite a bit of extra's so I was curious to see what it would do.

Like you said though, much better then the stock idiot light as long as you know how to read the colours.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Depending on how this turns out I may think of installing one, then again once my volt gauge is in there may not be a need..
    Andrew.

Vehicle

Well yes, in a normal case.

However I think in your case you've added quite a bit of extra's so I was curious to see what it would do.

Like you said though, much better then the stock idiot light as long as you know how to read the colours.
    well I'm running that 98 civic alternator, I'm going to get the kit to change it to a high output, once it's mounted and aligned right, I shouldn't have an issue, anytime the system is running, you should have at least 13.5 volts, if it's much lower there's not enough voltage to cause the battery to charge, the alternator runs your electrical system when the engine is running, it's voltage has to be higher then the battery to allow current to flow into it, the battery is pretty much along for the ride when the system is running. The widest misconception about automotive electrical systems is the battery powering everything, the battery does nothing but start the car, and power things with the engine off, plus act as a voltage stabilizer for the alternator.

Vehicle

Depending on how this turns out I may think of installing one, then again once my volt gauge is in there may not be a need..
    well the main reason I put it in, is even though I have gauges, it's really easy to over look them sometimes, I kept the oil pressure light in addition to the gauge for that reason. the gauge becomes a confirmation for the light. you get into a zone where you ignore the gauges, same reason they have warning lights in addition to gauges in race cars.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Yea I was aware of how the alternator and battery work together(you're right though, about most people not knowing), I just hope it's enough to run all your stuff.

I'll wait for the install to see how it goes.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

I like this idea, id like to see a mini digital readout , if that would be small enough to fit into the cluster i think that would be neat. The only thing i don't like about it is the range it senses, to me the voltage window is kinda wide compared to a gauge . If i also remember right there should be a spare socket or two in the cluster on the left, i think this was the ABS indicator light socket. Lost if you need another gauge face to cut up for this i have a few 86-87's and a few 88-89's i can send yah.

i suppose you could also have something like this on the oil system covering ranges of psi with a pressure sensor.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    I like this idea, id like to see a mini digital readout , if that would be small enough to fit into the cluster i think that would be neat. The only thing i don't like about it is the range it senses, to me the voltage window is kinda wide compared to a gauge . If i also remember right there should be a spare socket or two in the cluster on the left, i think this was the ABS indicator light socket. Lost if you need another gauge face to cut up for this i have a few 86-87's and a few 88-89's i can send yah.

i suppose you could also have something like this on the oil system covering ranges of psi with a pressure sensor.
    I have a gauge, but it's at the center of the dash, So this is mainly an indicator of an issue, I think anyone who has their gauges in the cup holder, center console area might have the same problem. Mine are where the clock would have been. If you have one of those inlays with the icons on it,it would be helpful, and maby some of the little plastic colored inserts. it doesn't matter what year, I'm going to use the existing battery icon, but add one that says volt with a red insert to an empty slot. Just to keep the factory warning light. all you have to do to disconnect the factory light is take out the bulb, then drill a quarter inch hole in the back of the white plastic, to put in the led, really easy. I'll post pictures.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Are you really expecting to have so much trouble with your alternator that you need a heads up display? You must be buying those O'Reilly alternators, LOL.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Are you really expecting to have so much trouble with your alternator that you need a heads up display? You must be buying those O'Reilly alternators, LOL.
    I hope I never have an issue, but if I do, this will give me enough warning to prevent damage, better then frying my battery,ignition box and fuel pump, the ignition box would probably be ok, but the facet pumps don't like over voltage and neither do the Odyssey batteries. If you get over 15 on the voltage, the emergency vent in the battery opens and it's ruined. the factory warning lights are pretty unreliable anyway, they depend on the voltage regulator to function, if the regulator fails, the light never comes on. I've had a couple of dead alternators that failed with no indication

Vehicle

didn't cost me anything either, just buying and selling parts on the net. My wife lets me spend whatever I make selling parts to buy parts

Vehicle

what I need now is some sort of vinyl overlay that says volts or something like it, with a clear background to go in the blanked out spot

Vehicle

Ok I made the frosted insert for the cluster,

this is a video of it being tested, the first test is a low voltage condition, just over 12 volts, if it was lower it would have alerted me with flashing red. it will go through a self diagnostic mode whenever it's powered up. The second test is with the battery charger switched on, it shows a healthy 13.5 volts. You'll see the intensity dim after a few seconds, if there was a high or low condition, the intensity will come back up,

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I hope I never have an issue, but if I do, this will give me enough warning to prevent damage, better then frying my battery,ignition box and fuel pump, the ignition box would probably be ok, but the facet pumps don't like over voltage and neither do the Odyssey batteries. If you get over 15 on the voltage, the emergency vent in the battery opens and it's ruined. the factory warning lights are pretty unreliable anyway, they depend on the voltage regulator to function, if the regulator fails, the light never comes on. I've had a couple of dead alternators that failed with no indication
    I see. I have a gauge pack that includes a voltmeter. I hear you about the crummy stock idiot lights. You can make a gigantic mess and never see the lights. I burned up my first engine because the oil pressure light didn't turn on.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I see. I have a gauge pack that includes a voltmeter. I hear you about the crummy stock idiot lights. You can make a gigantic mess and never see the lights. I burned up my first engine because the oil pressure light didn't turn on.
    Yea I have a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge, but it's easy to get in the habit of ignoring them, you get in a certain, mindset about the gauges and it's easy to overlook something, this is the reason they teach you to scan in an aircraft, to avoid overlooking something , the warning indicator is just to give you a heads up to look at the gauge, there's an issue with something going on

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

what I need now is some sort of vinyl overlay that says volts or something like it, with a clear background to go in the blanked out spot
    wonder if i can make something that small on the laser cutter at work

Lost , whats the dimensions of the blanked out spot? Ill try cutting some 0.092 Mylar tomorrow.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

wonder if i can make something that small on the laser cutter at work

Lost , whats the dimensions of the blanked out spot? Ill try cutting some 0.092 Mylar tomorrow.
    i'll try to get them in a bit, something is going on around here a bunch of people just ran through the yard yelling about getting guns

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

i'll try to get them in a bit, something is going on around here a bunch of people just ran through the yard yelling about getting guns

Just give me a heads up if its the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.....

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

Just give me a heads up if its the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.....
    the length for the icon is apx. .600 long by .300 high

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I wouldn't mind one of those. Way better than a meter and the idiot light that does nothing more than LOLBATTERY.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

the length for the icon is apx. .600 long by .300 high
    i assume your talking inches lost?

3Geez resident body man