Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizardskin Equivalent for $10?(Ceramic Coating)

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Lizardskin Equivalent for $10?(Ceramic Coating)

I found this and i was wondering if anyone here had tried it? I found it at autozone for $9 a can. Says it's good up to 2000*F and was made JUST FOR EXHAUST SYSTEMS. Any info? Opinions?

Ah, and i went on a crazy trip to the Old Bryce Insane Asylum that's closed down in Tuscaloosa, AL and found these ever so nifty tags for teh crazies. I figured i'd use them to label wires i add, and such. There's 7 colors. And I got well over 2000+ of them. Enough to fill up a book bag.

Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: Lizardskin Equivalent for $10?(Ceramic Coating)

VHT makes good stuff. i have used the engine enamel and the exhaust paint. i painted my tailpipe with the exhaust paint and an extension pipe i made. neither have flaked or burned off like some of the other barbecue paints.

but, i have also painted a header with rustoleum barbecue paint that i paid 4dollars a can for and it hasn't flaked either.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    VHT makes good stuff. i have used the engine enamel and the exhaust paint. i painted my tailpipe with the exhaust paint and an extension pipe i made. neither have flaked or burned off like some of the other barbecue paints.

but, i have also painted a header with rustoleum barbecue paint that i paid 4dollars a can for and it hasn't flaked either.
    WOW. Not Bad. Thanks For The Feedback. Now, I'm Wondering If They Make A Pink Header Paint. ROFLMAO
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

I used the silver vht header paint and it bubbled almost instantly. They make good paint, so I probably just did something wrong with the prep work or I got unlucky with a bad can of paint.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    WOW. Not Bad. Thanks For The Feedback. Now, I'm Wondering If They Make A Pink Header Paint. ROFLMAO
    they make a hot pink high heat engine enamel. i know that valve covers stand up with it not sure about exhaust.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

pretty much all the paints will flake off or bubble eventually, there is no real substitute for the ceramic coating

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Sedan

I try'ed that paint out. 3 coats of it and plenty of time to dry in between. It peeled off in less than a month. I have before and after pictures if your interested. I definatly wouldn't recommend it.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Xaisk View Post
    I try'ed that paint out. 3 coats of it and plenty of time to dry in between. It peeled off in less than a month. I have before and after pictures if your interested. I definatly wouldn't recommend it.
    I think it would be fine past the down pipe if you don't have a converter, but no further up. also if there is any sort of grease or oil on the pipes, it will get hot and cause the bubbling from underneath

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Not to be morally smug or anything, but don't steal from abandonments. It's morally wrong on many levels that I won't get into here.

On the topic of the paint, it's still not ceramic coating. It won't do much, if anything, to help with heat control. That's the real reason for ceramic coating, not appearance.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Will give you top dollar for a straight jacket.

Used.

The more bitemarks and stains the better.

Seriously.

My tattoo artist would love you longtime, GI.

And there is no substitute for ceramic coating or Nomex wrap

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Search for items from Danvers State Hospital. A lot of items were looted from that abandonment prior (and during) asbestos abatement.

/knows too much

Do try to keep this a bit more on topic, though. I know I brought it off topic, but it was only to point out that we don't tolerate thieves here.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

lol.....sorry 'bout that (not into thievery either, would totally mess with my police clearances and such. But it is kind of an interesting item to track down)

But yes, ceramic is the way to go as far as pretty. Any of the paints we have tried on exhaust parts have been pretty much NFG (not a fan of much of the VHT stuff to begin with. We got a sampler pallet of paint to try and change us from SEM over to VHT, and well, we stuck with SEM). Ceramic coating is quick and easy (coating place up the street does headers for us same day, and for less than $100 if I remember correctly), but the real deal is Nomex header wrap. Lowers bay temp, keeps the heat in the exhaust stream where it belongs. And besides, it looks all gnarly and race-like. Even better.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dieselgus View Post
    lol.....sorry 'bout that (not into thievery either, would totally mess with my police clearances and such. But it is kind of an interesting item to track down)

But yes, ceramic is the way to go as far as pretty. Any of the paints we have tried on exhaust parts have been pretty much NFG (not a fan of much of the VHT stuff to begin with. We got a sampler pallet of paint to try and change us from SEM over to VHT, and well, we stuck with SEM). Ceramic coating is quick and easy (coating place up the street does headers for us same day, and for less than $100 if I remember correctly), but the real deal is Nomex header wrap. Lowers bay temp, keeps the heat in the exhaust stream where it belongs. And besides, it looks all gnarly and race-like. Even better.
    you don't want wrap, it holds mositure and causes your headers to rot out faster, there's a reason all the header manufacturers void the warranty if they are wrapped

Vehicle

the paint will eventually fail that's true. but if the item is thouroughly cleaned and degreased it will last much longer. also following the procedure of baking the paint between coats either with a heat gun or an actual oven will help it stand up much longer.

there is no REPLACEMENT for ceramic coating, but for a job that's going to cost at least 50 dollars i'd rather drop 4 dollars of paint onto my 50 dollar header.

if i had paid a pretty penny for something like you guys have to for a header (before the obx came out) then i might consider dropping the cash to ceramic or jet hot coat it. but on the cheap these paints do well. you can also strip them later and reapply so no big deal, especially if you have access to a shop with a parts cleaner.
    dead white and blue

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

If you never drive it, yes. Bigger problem on often washed trailer queens. Or for those that constantly wash engine bays and never take it out for a good drive after to dry things out afterwards.

We haven't seen any issues so far (use header wrap a lot to keep heat off of starters and 480LE transmission PRNDL/Neut safety assemblies on tight quarters engine swaps at work) with headers rotting out. But to each their own. It does work quite well though.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    you don't want wrap, it holds mositure and causes your headers to rot out faster
    These aren't made of wood.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Ive had bikes with wrapped headers, and have friends with wrapped exhausts and have never had issues...

Vehicle

it all, again, will depend on if it's done properly. as soon as it starts to sag or come loose you should redo it as that's when it can just be a moisture lock instead of a deterrant.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    it all, again, will depend on if it's done properly. as soon as it starts to sag or come loose you should redo it as that's when it can just be a moisture lock instead of a deterrant.
    Im not arguing this at all...my comment was aimed more towards people who think that wrap is gonna instantly turn their header to dust.

Vehicle

oh i know cubey, i was just agreeing with you buddy.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

prep, prep , prep

that is the #1 issue with most coatings failing in general.

i don't know what you guys are doing, i've sprayed my dirt bikes with paint like this. I have never had a problem, the only places it would peel off is the sides of the motor case where your feet would rub.

THE BEST thing to do with a header is to have it hot tank'd followed up by a light media blast. This will remove any grease / carbon / oils that would come in contact with the header in addition to providing a good surface to bite on. i would also spray the paint in it while the header is warm, this will help with the adhesion and also bake it in an oven for a 1/2 hour @ 350 to reduce the possibility of water moisture while applying the paint. Note: be very careful with this as most paints use volatile organic solvents, wait 15 min to a 1/2 hour to allow the paint to flash, then bake it. This should minimize the paint odor and solvents so that you don't end up with a fire

This is a lot of work involved just to paint it IMO

I agree with Lost that with the design and issues that our engines have with leaky valve covers and such that the paint will fail, this is very true.

Still and i agree with the others , ceramic and other forms of paint deposition work great, but expensive. Im just giving a suggestion on a cheaper way to do it

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

i guess it depends on the header and how hard it would be to replace, in my case I may never find another S&S, so I need to protect it.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Lol I just painted my manifold with the engine stuff (it's supposed to be good up to 1800f I think) and I don't see any probs so far but it's only been a week. After sandblasting and dousing it in brake cleaner I painted it via can instructions and did the on car baking process and it works great. I've sprayed brake cleaner to test it and it's good. I'd say go for it man.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i used that on my heat sheild. held up really good even have my rear oil main leak...cleans up fast

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    i guess it depends on the header and how hard it would be to replace, in my case I may never find another S&S, so I need to protect it.
    but the obx is widely available
    dead white and blue