Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's time to let go

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Maybe it's time to let go

This October, I will have had my SE-i for 10 years. I got it with 86k, and now it has 235k, so that's 150k of fun motoring. I put on Eibach springs (1" drop) and revalved Bilsteins, both now out of production. It took me two revalves to get the front shocks exactly right. The original paint, or the repaints on the two minor front enders is pretty nice. I don't think I burn any oil, but I do use oil, I think from either the distributor O ring or possibly the return passage from the top end. I have the O rings, just not installed. The oil filter mounting stuff, including the pressure sensor has all been replaced. All the hoses, including the little ones, are pretty new, and I have religiously changed the oil every 3k to 4k miles. I'm the guy that drove from CT to Montreal to score the last SE-i bronze-tinted windshield in North America. The last one.

The gray leather interior, except for the passenger seat which has some minor cracking, is basically mint. I have treated it every year. The 5 speed is fine. The Bose system works well with the Infinity speakers I installed after I got the car. Last year, I replaced every single rubber suspension bushing, including the big ones on the rear swing arms. The original a/c compressor soldiers on with R-12 additions in 2001, plus 1 lb in 2005 and 2009, it's nice and cold. I have replaced pretty recently both front and rear wheel bearings and the front wheel studs, just because I figured it was a good thing to do. The rear calipers are kept nice and free. I use Honda manual trans fluid.

I installed camber adjusting UCA mounts a couple of years ago. The tires are brand new Michelins. The cat was new probably at the 150k mark. The cooling system has been regularly flushed. The radiator is about a dozen years old, but seems fine. Headlights are Hella conversions. I have some spare parts - another CPU, sunroof motor, various stuff. Main relay is pretty recent. New auto drop relay in the driver's door.

Mechanically, a couple of the injectors need new seals, I can occasionally smell them. The rear shock mounting -somethings- are allowing making noise on a good bump....I saved a post on what I didn't replace when I installed the Bilsteins, and now the rear shocks have to be taken out and new mounting bushings or whatever is wearing needs to be replaced. It's more aggravating than anything else. The cruise control finally stopped working a couple of years ago, but I never used it anyway so didn't bother to fix it.

The car has never wanted for anything.

On the down side, body-wise, the rear wheel arches both have rust. I did a couple of Bondo patch-ups, but you know how the rust comes back. I bought two of the steel replacement arches in expectation of cutting out the rusted parts and welding the arches in.

A few months ago a pickup truck backed into me in a gas station. He got me on the right rear fender with a basketball-sized dent, which didn't involve the trunk, the rear door, or the tail light lens. The check from his insurance company was $1,700. Then a month or so ago a bookshelf I keep in the garage fell over and dumped its contents on the hood, making some gouges. Another $600 from my insurance company. So I have taken $2,300 out of the car.

The estimate from a body shop to fix the rear arches, replace both front and rear bumper caps, and the hood is about $3,300. Add in maybe another $700 for the injectors, distributor seals and miscellaneous stuff and there it is, $4,000. Although I'm feeling vaguely sick at the idea of giving up my baby, the economics are pretty challenging. I would park it and think things over for a while longer, but I'm also driveway and garage-space challenged, with too many vehicles competing for too little space.

My wife reminds me that I run a company that charges clients about $80,000 a year for our service (an elderly companion agency), and that while I might be enamored of my 3G, to most of the rest of the world it's just an old car, and might not be good for my image when I visit potential customers. For sure, I can't use it with the big dent in the back and the Bondo patches on the wheel wells.

So I might give it up. If so, I don't need a lot of money, but what I do need is someone that will keep it going and not drive it into the ground. An SE-i with a mint leather interior, a 5 speed, and unobtanium Bilsten/Eibach suspension stuff just can't be replaced easily, so I would want a real enthusiast to have it. Both Mark and Carotman have seen it. I think it should go to someone who can do the body work themselves, or at least the paint part of it. As to whether I will spring for the $4k in spite of it being a lousy economic decision, I still might, because just writing this makes me feel sick at the possibility of giving up the car. So I don't know.
    Last edited by w261w261; 04-10-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Re: Maybe it's time to let go

the simply answer is if writing the post made you feel sick, dont sell it.
    you obviously like the car heaps if you drove to canada to get a windscreen, spent a bit of money getting the suspension valving the way you want etc etc.
    $4k aint all that much to spend if you like the car.
    if i let money make up my mind bout my CA3, i would have sold it years ago.
    not including the purchase price, i'm at $10k and counting and its not even close to being on the road, but i wouldnt think about selling it coz i like the car to much.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Well, the car that I was thinking about getting has apparently been sold this morning. I really can't say I was sorry to hear the news. Driving to the Post Office, I re-appreciated the Formula-1 like view down the road, which will never be again because of the European hood height requirements. I was looking at an M3 convertible, E46 I think (2005 and few years prior), but it's a lot of money, and years ago I vowed never to have another car loan, so it's all out of pocket - something that has helped me in the past avoid excessive car lust-induced purchases.

Normally I'm fairly decisive, but his time I keep thinking that once the 3G departs, it's never coming back.

If you really do sell it I hope you put as close back to stock as possible so you can sell your after market parts and make more money off of it. Whatever you do good luck with making a decision. Make sure it goes to a good home. If you want to make some money off of it before you sell and replace with stock parts let me know. I have some stock suspension you can have for the cost of shipping and gas.

-dan

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

3300 seems a bit much for the repairs. I'm sure you could find a cheaper price. On top of that the replacement of the parts you've said need replacing should take all but an hour or two to complete. 700 dollars seems like a high estimate there as well. Would this be work performed by a shop? If that's the case i can see the amount being close to that.

Why not keep it, fix it slowly and make it your project car?
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I'd let it go as it is. It really just needs someone that is good at welding, bodywork and spraying. Mechanically, the rest of it is in fine shape. I'm having so much separation anxiety that I may just let it sit for awhile and put up with the family's heat.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    3300 seems a bit much for the repairs. I'm sure you could find a cheaper price. On top of that the replacement of the parts you've said need replacing should take all but an hour or two to complete. 700 dollars seems like a high estimate there as well. Would this be work performed by a shop? If that's the case i can see the amount being close to that.

Why not keep it, fix it slowly and make it your project car?
    I have to have work done by a shop...I have no time do much beyond hoses, oil, coolant flush and other easy quick stuff - like the main relay (not!) . I change my own oil because I don't want the yokels at the oil change place near my drain plug. I do the coolant because I don't trust the shop to only use distilled water even when they flush it. And I do the hoses because I want to make sure that they all actually get replaced (particularly the little ones). So I'm stuck with labor rates being what they are in NYC suburban CT.

This discussion has been kind of therapeutic for me. I'm more inclined to keep the car, fix it up, and if the clients wonder about why I drive it, the hell with them, it's my company anyway.

Maybe.

Um, pictures would be awesome OP...

Vehicle

i will say that the seals you mentioned really only require a 12mm or 10mm ratchet and 30 minutes given you've been into it before. i know it's hard to find time for stuff like that i find it difficult as it is now with i'm sure at least half the work load that you carry. my problem is more of work space as i don't have a covered parking or garage anymore.

i really do think you should keep it if you've given it this much care. I forgot you were in CT, those prices sound about right for that part of the country. Isn't one of our members here a bodyman in the new jersey area?
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Well, I must say this car was in really good condition when I saw it. Even the guys at the Honda dealer were amazed.

If you think about keeping it I'm sure all those repairs can be done for around 2000. A complete gasket kit is around $150. Replacing those leaky seals should be easy. I'm sure you can find someone that would do this for you relatively cheap if you can't do it yourself.

The worst repair is the rear arches and this is what will cost the most. I think that by shopping around, you can get this done for a lot less than 3300.

Here's what I had done to my 94 Civic before the winter
    - Replaced the hood
    - Replaced the windshield
    - Fixed rust under the windshield
    - Repaired the rear left wheel arch.

All this for $1200 painted to match the car.

Like you said, the view you have in these cars is never to be done again so think about this if you ever sell it. This is one major reason I'm driving an older car and fixing up this 87 hatch (which has taken wayyy too long now)

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

keep it. sounds like its ur baby man. I thought about getting rid of my 3g at one point but it would make me so damn sad to even have someone calling me saying they wanted to buy it..

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

DONT SELL IT....sorry man...i been in a 3gee all my life i was born april 88 and my mom bought the car memorial day weekend 88. it was my first car...right now my car does not even have an engine...but im still going to work on getting it back on the road

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

It sounds like you realize what you will be losing if you sell it. And you seem to realize that it's not something you will find ever again. While the economics dictate that you take a particular course of action, you have an attachment to the car that defies those economics. So you're experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance. I personally respect someone who keeps an old car pristine. Then again, I can't afford anything that costs $80k a year, so my opinion is largely irrelevant.

Obviously, any hardcore 3g fan is going to tell you to keep the car. I will too, of course. The reality is that at some point, every car becomes impractical for daily driving. Yet there are countless classic cars sitting in garages all over the country. My only question is this: if you buy another car, do you have to sell the 3g? Given how much you like it, why don't you keep it as your weekend take-the-wife-out car? Get it restored and drive it for fun. Take it for trips to the beach and the bed & breakfast.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

i agree with snooz.

i was at my last end with my 87 hatch, then i found my 89 hatch. Everyday that passes makes the car harder to keep as a daily driver. The are tough little cars and will last a long while as long as you maintain it. The rust issue is something that all of us usually deal with some worse than others. I think if you have the shell fixed up and the rust taken care off you will change your mind. I was going through the same thing with my 87. It had the same arch rust that everyone has and then a bit more , but i took my time and fixed it all. After the fact i didn't want to give the car up.

The sad truth is that our cars really do not have any aftermarket support whatsoever or very littler for that matter. im fine with that as my car will get few upgrades here and there but nothing overkill. With that and the fact that some parts are becoming scarce (hell pep boys do not carry our front rotors anymore last i checked but they have brake pads). it really comes down to how much do you really like the car and what is it worth to you.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    It sounds like you realize what you will be losing if you sell it. And you seem to realize that it's not something you will find ever again. While the economics dictate that you take a particular course of action, you have an attachment to the car that defies those economics. So you're experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance. I personally respect someone who keeps an old car pristine. Then again, I can't afford anything that costs $80k a year, so my opinion is largely irrelevant.

Obviously, any hardcore 3g fan is going to tell you to keep the car. I will too, of course. The reality is that at some point, every car becomes impractical for daily driving. Yet there are countless classic cars sitting in garages all over the country. My only question is this: if you buy another car, do you have to sell the 3g? Given how much you like it, why don't you keep it as your weekend take-the-wife-out car? Get it restored and drive it for fun. Take it for trips to the beach and the bed & breakfast.
    Well, thanks everyone. This site is a lot cheaper than therapy, works better, and is a whole lot more fun. It certainly helped me think through things. What I primarily realized is that if I got rid of the car I might be haunted by seller's regret forever. Just writing my initial post messed up my head. I'll just have to deal with the space issue. It's on to the body shop!
    Last edited by w261w261; 04-12-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Vehicle

rent a storage container
    dead white and blue

I'd like to see the car, do you have any pics of it?

I know you are not going to sell it anymore, just wanna see it

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

It's a straight grey SE-i, just dropped an inch. Stock wheels and all.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    It's a straight grey SE-i, just dropped an inch. Stock wheels and all.
    You might say it like that.. but we love those model's around here
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Well, thanks everyone. This site is a lot cheaper than therapy, works better, and is a whole lot more fun. It certainly helped me think through things. What I primarily realized is that if I got rid of the car I might be haunted by seller's regret forever. Just writing my initial post messed up my head. I'll just have to deal with the space issue. It's on to the body shop!

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

what is your garage and car situation right now? any play to build like a RV storage

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

That's the problem. Garage now has the Accord plus other toys in it. Wife's car, son's car, other car sits outside (as they should!). Another car will strain the situation, but the Accord def is not leaving the roof over its head. No real possibility for outside storage. I have plenty of room (2 acres) but wife says no. If I get another car in addition to the Accord, then the rest of the garage comes into play, and the lawn toys, bike and wood pile might have to be relocated.

I was also faced with a decision to get rid of my 3gee after i hit a curb after sliding in snow and bent the subframe and a lot of steering stuff. I'm a uni student and i only work part time at minimum wage but i decided to fix the car up, because it was my fault and i really really loved the car. Now, many months later i think its one of the best decisions i ever made in my life even though it was a really expensive. I'm glad u decided to keep it cause i'm 100% sure you will regret it for a long time if u sold it!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Here's something to take into consideration. You mention that the cost of repairs are close to $4000. Can you find another car that brings as much joy to you and is in as good of shape as the Accord will be after it's repaired? I'm betting you can't.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I say just park the car and work on it slowly. I won't be needing my 3G starting August, that is why I am parking it in my parents garage until I am done college.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)