Thread: rear drum "crunch"

3Geez Veteran

rear drum "crunch"

Mike (mykwikcoupe) laughed when I texted this to him. My rear brakes make a crunching sound when I come close to a complete stop. Any amount of brake pressure, but the sound doesn't start until I get under 15mph or so. I can also feel vibrations through the pedal. Any ideas of what could be wrong? The sound only comes from the left side, I believe.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: rear drum "crunch"

most likely dirt in the drums caught between the drums and shoes, do they have a lot of miles on them?

3Geez Veteran

My car is about to roll over 175k. I believe they are the original parts throughout.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    My car is about to roll over 175k. I believe they are the original parts throughout.
    it's about time for new rear shoes, I hope they haven't worn into the drums, even if they have it's not a bad job to change shoes and new drums, I recommend a new hardware kit for each drum, it has all new springs and hardware

3Geez Veteran

Okay, that'll just be another thing on the list when I head up to Mike's.

Vehicle

Okay, that'll just be another thing on the list when I head up to Mike's.
    with that many miles might as well do it right, if the drums aren't bad they can be turned, if not they will have to be replaced, the hardware kit will have the new springs and clips etc to replace everything, they aren't expensive, normally it's one kit per wheel, it's not a bad job if you know how to do it, but if you've never done drums, you will pull your hair out trying to install the springs and adjust them initially, so the help will be appreciated. plan on rebuilding the rear wheel cylinders, simplest job in the world, couple of seals and dust boots, I think the last time I checked they were 3 dollars or so per cylinder

3Geez Veteran

With all that work I might as well do a disc swap.

Vehicle

With all that work I might as well do a disc swap.
    it's not bad at all if you have done it, or have someone helping who has, you can change the shoes, hardware and rebuild the cylinders in maby a half hour per side

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    it's not bad at all if you have done it, or have someone helping who has, you can change the shoes, hardware and rebuild the cylinders in maby a half hour per side
    HARDWARE!

Can't emphasize this enough. I tore the rear brakes down on a saturn 6 times because i couldn't figure out what all the noise was about. Finally broke down and spent the 10 bucks per side on hardware. No more noise.

Also, dont forget to "Adjust" your rear brakes by ripping on the ebrake a few times.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Also, dont forget to "Adjust" your rear brakes by ripping on the ebrake a few times.
    Damn, I like it when I don't have to pull up the parking brake very far.

Vehicle

make sure you wear some safety glasses when putting the springs back on, I had to have the hook end of one removed from my face once. shot out of there and stuck into my face

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

with that many miles might as well do it right, if the drums aren't bad they can be turned, if not they will have to be replaced, the hardware kit will have the new springs and clips etc to replace everything, they aren't expensive, normally it's one kit per wheel, it's not a bad job if you know how to do it, but if you've never done drums, you will pull your hair out trying to install the springs and adjust them initially, so the help will be appreciated. plan on rebuilding the rear wheel cylinders, simplest job in the world, couple of seals and dust boots, I think the last time I checked they were 3 dollars or so per cylinder
    Just did this. Just repl. the wheel cylinders w/ reman. units, likewise repl. the drums if any question. Only spent approx. $118 for parts from Napa. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, & e-brake hdwr. kits. Not fun 'cause I hadn't done drums before but after the price I got from Brakeway to do it I was motivated to do it myself. Damn %@! springs are a PITA.....

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TotaledTL View Post
    Just did this. Just repl. the wheel cylinders w/ reman. units, likewise repl. the drums if any question. Only spent approx. $118 for parts from Napa. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, & e-brake hdwr. kits. Not fun 'cause I hadn't done drums before but after the price I got from Brakeway to do it I was motivated to do it myself. Damn %@! springs are a PITA.....
    I have special tools and they are still a PIA, and i've been doing them for over 25 years lol, I never buy re manufactured cylinders, they are so easy to fix, as long as they aren't scored it's a couple of rubber pieces and some brake cleaner.

drum brakes are not hard at all and their is nothing wrong w/ the drums in our cars. we could use better pads up front and better shoes in back(ebs/"greenstuff" sells alot of kits for our cars). i dont know why everyone hates to work on drums; they're what i learned on and are very simple after you take a look at them. also they bite pretty damn hard compared to other rear disc setups i've driven

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1813mdw View Post
    drum brakes are not hard at all and their is nothing wrong w/ the drums in our cars. we could use better pads up front and better shoes in back(ebs/"greenstuff" sells alot of kits for our cars). i dont know why everyone hates to work on drums; they're what i learned on and are very simple after you take a look at them. also they bite pretty damn hard compared to other rear disc setups i've driven
    in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.

in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into

who ever built that is seriously into bdsm and had alot of time on their hands lol

yeah charlie, it a good idea to see if honda sells those cylinder rebuild kits I just rebuilt the ones on my hatch and I will say those brakes where nasty. Ive never seen chuncky brake fluid before this. Plan on getting those hardware kits with linings (40 I think total last time i bought them). Get a full bottle of new dot 3 brake fluid and we will bleed all that old crap out and put in new not dirty or moisture contaminated fluid. Get a few cans of the large brake fluid cleaner as well. I have brake grease for the star adjuster and caliper pivot slides. I doubt it will take us more then a few hours to do this. Like I said, with as old as your brakes are, the job of pulling the rear drum to inspect is just pulling the rear wheel. I'm sure everything is so far out of tolerance the drum will just pull right off.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    yeah charlie, it a good idea to see if honda sells those cylinder rebuild kits I just rebuilt the ones on my hatch and I will say those brakes where nasty. Ive never seen chuncky brake fluid before this. Plan on getting those hardware kits with linings (40 I think total last time i bought them). Get a full bottle of new dot 3 brake fluid and we will bleed all that old crap out and put in new not dirty or moisture contaminated fluid. Get a few cans of the large brake fluid cleaner as well. I have brake grease for the star adjuster and caliper pivot slides. I doubt it will take us more then a few hours to do this. Like I said, with as old as your brakes are, the job of pulling the rear drum to inspect is just pulling the rear wheel. I'm sure everything is so far out of tolerance the drum will just pull right off.
    I got my rebuild kits at nappa, I think all the auto parts stores sell them, although the kids at most of the stores when you say drum brake wheel cylinder

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 1813mdw View Post
    I hate that bimbo from their commercials.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

[SIZE="4"]in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into...
    LOL that's the funniest thing I've seen today, thx for the laughs!

3Geez Veteran

This still happens, and it's rather lame. My drum linings are good according to both Honda and mykwikcoupe, so what else could be the problem? Brake fluid flush? Literally every time I go up to his house he cleans them with brake dust remover, the sound stops for a good two weeks, and slowly comes back. Dirt buildup?

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

I used to have a crunch sound when i was braking coming from the rear passenger side. Then my rear upper ball joint broke and after replacing it the crunch went away.

I/H/E, B16 mani, delta 272, OBD1....etc

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

I get a weird clunk noise from the passenger side while braking sometimes. I might have to replace the drums, any tips on doing so?

3Geez Veteran

Take them apart and clean and adjust them first. That helped me twice, plus larger wheels put less stress on my suspension after being lowered.