Thread: Rjudgey

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude Si

Rjudgey

Whats up with your blue prelude? I haven't seen any recent pictures. You got something big planned?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Re: Rjudgey

yeah, what he said...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

Lol sadly no nothing too huge in the pipeline! Have been using the blue lude and is running really well apart from i need to change the oil sump gasket as it's blown itself out of the block so leaking badly, and my brakes bias valve seems to be out of whack so if i brake really hard it's pulling badly to one side. It's weak on front left and rear right so I know it's something to do with that or maybe the master cyclinder isn't balanced correctly but this is new so would hope its not that!
    I do have a A18 big valve head that is waiting to go on to increase compression, but not sure if this will help as the inlet ports aren't as efficient as the A20's but the valves are of a slightly better shape on this head and have narrower stems, I'm also trying to have a new cam ground that will give me more lift and duration. And also still trying to save up and have a custom manifold and system built that's big enough to cope with the huge flow of exhaust gases that the big valve head emits! This is the main reason why I'm bottlenecked at 200bhp and 8k rpm limit.
    Also not been taking many pictures as the last winter has seemed to have removed most the original paint from the roof, bonnet and boot so it's looking rather skanky at the moment! lol! May paint them matt black for fun!!
    Going to try and take it to the next drag strip meeting and get some new times while everything is running so sweet with some good semi slicks should be able to break into the high 13's or at the very least very low 14's.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

I'm going to say, that i'm pretty interested on this car as well rich. Most the pics or from years back! Keep us all updated on here! btw, Me and jared were talking about the good ole days, when you could call out a fellow luder and get response from that! back in the day. I'm loving this CP site so much more that the PoopyPower site... tehehehe

SEi User

I posted pics of the engine rebuild and A20 big valve head, plus a couple of the new seats i bought a year ago? what more do you need! lol! Tell you what if you send me a email address that has big enough inbox I'll try and email you some old and new vids have a good newish one of a 1/4 mile but need to edit and try and turn up the right way and reduce size.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by hondalude86 View Post
    I'm going to say, that i'm pretty interested on this car as well rich. Most the pics or from years back! Keep us all updated on here! btw, Me and jared were talking about the good ole days, when you could call out a fellow luder and get response from that! back in the day. I'm loving this CP site so much more that the PoopyPower site... tehehehe
    agreed.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

Oh I was toyin with the idea of putting one of my many spare B20A's in there but with a totally one off bottom end with B20A5 forged pistons, Crower rods, cams, bigger valves, adjustable pulleys, Eagle crankshaft, and pair of webers attached naturally! and custom exhaust and header but I love the free revving A20 too much to do this so probably going to save these parts/engine for my BA chassis that I'm slowly restoring.
    Plus I want to experiment with the A18 head and see just howmuch bhp torque you can get out of a stock bottom end!!
    Just to remind you all, the block is A20A3/4 with 9.4:1 pistons, block is shaved a tiny bit for flatness, head is shaved .5mm, rods are polished and balanced, Federal mogul piston pins (much lighter), ACL race bearings, Big valve conversion on inlet and exhaust (stem size are all the same as exhaust valves), Double valve springs all round from exhaust valves from A18, 285 degree camshaft with 10mm lift, Lots of headwork to ports and chambers for extra flow, 3 angle grind with radiused lower angles, custom 6.5" long inlet manifold for Webers, stock cast 4-2 header ported and flowed inside, custom crappy downpipe with tiny pipes and 2" collector, running to crush bent 2.25" exhaust system. (Nice I know but didn't know better at the time 11 years ago! lol!) Saving up for a nice custom equal length header and 2.5" mandrel bent system. Also on the nice but not important list is crank fired ignition system but i hate car electronics so not sure when I'll get this done! lol!

As it is car makes about 200bhp and 150ish lbft of torque at flywheel has a powerband of 3.5-8krpm but still has good low end power drove a modded B18C Civic and it was gutless below 4k rpm unlike mine!
    I have made a few changes to battery much lighter one now, and removed a few minor things, need to really go to town on the sound deadening from the old stereo install and the stock stuff on the cockpit floor, as well as remove the glass side windows and gut the doors of all the stuff in them. Also would like racing mirrors on the side to reduce weight and drag, and to make up a lighter seat frame as i used quite heavy duty steel bars to make them up, some lighter seats would be nice but not essential at the moment would only save a few Kg's changing, removing the dash board and putting in a spare SI one i have thats chopped up to save weight, remove all existing interior panels including roof lining, and toying with the idea of a Ally fuel cell and ditching the old tank which maybe causing fuel issues intermitently, also going to remove all the bonnet and boot locks and hinges, and secure with racing catches etc. Hoping this will save even more weight and try and get this thing down to just over 800kg's with fuel at the moment is 900kg's, also thinking of putting the original black bumpers back on as they are slightly lighter and smaller and to be honest makes the car look older and more of a sleeper. If anyone else can think of stuff that will make it lighter let me know!! Also at some point some coil overs of some make hotbits or Selex etc. would be nice but they are pricey so may have to put up with my Koni's and AVO springs for now or maybe try fitting some sleeves with race springs on! I have rear ones that fit perfectly and just need welding and need to choose some springs to suit, and then find some perfect fitting front ones to use. If any of you chaps want to chime in on suspension mods feel free as this is one area I'm not too sure on I know a lot about tracking etc. but not spring rates and corner weighting. Oh and one thing i need to get done this year is to replace the windscreen unfortunately over winter my brakes rusted onto the disks and went to try and break them free and the chassis flexed so much it broke the corner of the windscreen!! Wasn't amused!!

SEi User

Ok these are the last lot of pics from when i put in new seats, and also stripped out a few extra nuts and bolts, and rebuilt the block and head. Managed this without pulling the engine as gearbox and clutch have been fine since the year before when i had them rebuilt and put in.

Outside looking a bit rough and ready these days winter has damaged the paint as the ice got stuck and when I needed to use it to get me around the snow as it came off so did the paint! Luckily the original zinc plating kept the rust away!

This inside has no stereo anymore but need to remove a lot more sound deadening still in place as is all the panels, only thing gone is carpet and seats plus their belts a lot more weight to be removed yet!

Just incase you forgot what the current engine looks like still the same from two years ago, same manifold and carbs, just had the block rebuilt with A20A3/4 pistons and the head rebuilt with better valves.

Brakes still the same but i need to look at the bias valve or the master cylinder balancing bolt as it's out by quite a bit causing it to pull to one side quite a bit under very hard braking.

SEi User

New pistons versus the old non honda rock auto parts job.

Head with new exhaust valve and reconditioned inlets which are remachined exhaust valves.

These are all the different valves I've had machined and made over the years one in the middle is stock inlet but with a nice backcut these actually work really well when machined down to proper specs.

All 4 new exhaust valves from SI and the 8 remachined exhaust valves

Also had bronze guides fitted here as they wear a lot quicker with the extra heat, unfortunately i did forget to remove the swirl polish on the stems tut tut! I also got impatient and didnt bother shaping the guide boss and the exhaust port guide ramp so probably can easily gain another few bhp in this area.

Inlet port hmmm doesn't look like A20 inlet port whats happened here then anyone spot the difference?

Better shot of inside with the valves in the way, next version will have narrower stems rather than the chunky exhaust valve stems probably go 6.5 or 6mm all round. It's just I try and stay in with sensible costs and try and use all stock parts that are easily found in junkyards. Considering pretty much 90% of the engine is stock parts to get a reliable 200bhp is pretty mad!!

Shot with all the exhaust double springs in place not a bad setup and can easily handle 8-8.5k rpm only downside max lift is probably about 10.5-11mm anymore and you would need a nice set of Bisi springs! Set of titanium retainers would be nice too as well as titanium valves! Hell titanium wrist pins and rods too!

SEi User

Hopefully that will keep you happy for a little bit! If i get a chance I'll try and snap some pics of the A18 big valve head I've been working on. Only thing left for this one is to find somewhere to back cut the valves to match my seats.

Vehicle

i wanna see that a18 head!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    3G Accord CA3

Hey rich I got that edited vid of yours can I post it up, its the one from myspace on the quarter mile

Also for weight reduction have you though of perspex quarter windows ?

also let me know if you interested in bushes for the rear they are not injected poly just poly manufactured

also got they tie bar coming up !!!

Can you do me a favour could you take a pic on your DL of the cluster surround, I want to see the side where there is no sunroof button option

Thanks

SEi User

Yeah you can post any of the vids just not the one with speedo close ups for obvious legal reasons! lol! Trying to edit the inside camera video of the last drag session i did a year ago but finding it hard to get software to turn the vid up the right way! lol!

Vehicle
    3G Accord CA3

any video converter its free try it or just email me...

SEi User

Ok here you go you impatient thing!!

There's not much left to do really just backcut the valves a bit, and then i need to smooth in the bottom cuts of the seats into the port throats and make sure they are all nice an even. This head was a pretty good power maker back when i first experimented with the exhaust valves as intakes, this is a refined version with bulleted bronze guides fitted on the intake side, the exhaust side has the guide ramps removed and I'll be reshaping the ends of the guides into a more aero dynamic shape. The head has been skimmed again it's been done twice now so hasn't too much meat left probably can take off another .25mm so hopefully can reskim it couple of times still without any major issues. Also one more thing need to just deshroud around some of the valves a bit more, now i have the new valves in there's some areas of improvement that will help. Other than that just need to clean out the coke in the exhaust ports and some crud in the inlet ports and it's all ready to go. Probably about a days labour in finishing it off and then getting the machinist to do the valves. I talking about the valves these are all SI valves they started off as blanks and i had them machined to suit my needs, i had the tips lengthend over stock so that the cams that are reground have a better angle on the tappets and i also don't need to wind the tappets down all the way in so it's more of a stock angle and fit, the valve heads are also little bit bigger to increase CR ratio and they have the nice swirl polish effect going on to. Hopefully will be able to use inlet valves with smaller stems but these should work nicely still and enable me to use the stock A18 exhaust valve springs and retainers all round to reduce costs. If anything this thing should easily rev to 8.5k without anything breaking!!

Vehicle
    3G Accord CA3

nice headwork there everytime I look at pics of your motor I think should I got back to the ET lol

here is that vid

SEi User

Just downloaded windows movie maker 7 works a treat email coming your way!! hope you enjoy it!! :0)

SEi User

Damn you beat me to it! lol!

SEi User

ET is a good head but to be honest the A20 can flow better for higher revs but the chambers so big you have to resort to some custom pistons which increases cost, also the piston crowns would have to be raised which isn't ideal either better to have a flat crown or better still tiny dish in them, so A20A3/4 pistons are ideal! Just shame they are so heavy and have 4 valve pockets, my big engine project that some day I'll save up money for would have forged pistons with cutaway skirts, and smaller lightweight wrist pins (wiseco design is pretty good have B20A5 ones in 81.5mm) and Eagle titanium B18 rods to boot! Titanium valves and retainers as well as Bisi springs for getting that extra lift to the valves! Custom camshaft from Cat cams or maybe a regrind from Bisi with a hideous amount of lift like 12mm and 295 degrees duration, some serious exhaust work with a nice manifold and would probably have to be running 45mm taper bore throttle bodies with some big old injectors then I might be in with a chance of nailing 250-260bhp!!
    But with the rebuilt A18 head and new manifold and exhaust system with the A20A3/4 pistons I'm hoping to get around 220-230bhp at least but it's all R&D really to see what works and what doesn't. First step is to get manifold made and new system built with what I have should easily free up around 10bhp or more as well as lot more torque. So we'll see how that goes first as really the exhaust and manifold is holding me back on any engine!!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

wow looks good

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude Si

So wait you have exhaust valves for intake valves? And custom exhaust ones?

And I love this car!

SEi User

First complete big valve conversion yes the 3rd head i've done valves are custom all round 33mm inlet 38mm exhaust, original head had exhaust valves all round but the stock exhaust were toomuch of bottleneck so had to go bigger to get all the gas out!

SEi User

Thanks so do it! lol!

Update have new coilover suspension to go on to it as well as fixing the oil sump, then if there is enough clearance will try OBX Header as they are so cheap with a new 2.5" mandrel bent system on it! Hoping this will release quite a few trapped ponies!! Next thing is to try and locate some super sticky cheap tyres. I've changed my plan for the budget race lude and I'm just going to enter blue lude instead the other white B20A lude is too rotten and will need massive amounts of welding that I'm just not prepared to do. Hopefully I can convince the race inspectors that I managed to do all this for £1249 including selling the interior and parts for £250, in my book it's just possible but when they see how competitive it will be they'll be looking to pick holes at anything!!