Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "JohnDriver -1987 accord stretch limo - Project In Motion"

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

Re: "JohnDriver -1987 accord stretch limo - Project In Motion"

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    No offense but its not all that low.
    first off the pic in your post looks tuff.I like the stance.what wheel/tire do you run,and did you cut anything?
    I cant run the 18" rims the car wont move.(the tires hit the wheel wells)
    thats what was on it when I got it. the shorty springs with adjusters rode like a minitruck.so I bought a set of progressive lowering springs(the guy on clist said he installed them on a customers car,the cust.saw it and said no way too low) so I put them on mine(at twice the weight) it collapses the springs all but 1-11/2 coil.I only get about 2-2 1/2" of travel before the susp.bottoms.lol but the ride is really smoth(even for lowered vehicles)
    my new plan is to set the progressives on the adjusters and it should ride ok till I get the airbags.
    I also have a set of progressive springs off a 90s honda/acura dont rember if it was prelude ? any how I remember it being larger than my (stock)honda body,so prob heavier springs.or mix/match(use all the fronts) to carry the weight. it looks cool as hell where its at but not real practical. so the goal is to dig it outta the weeds.im on stock 2000 civis si rims(15") and 185/65 15" that I had layin around.
    1987 accord lx stretch,68/70 bradley gt,69/82 checker, 76/79 LUV,hey I need another accord..lol

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

Thanks. I only run 14 or 15" wheels 16" max. Just running 550lb in front and 450lb in rear aerospeed coilover sleeves. Stock accord struts(new) in front and civic struts in rear. Extended tophats in front though for full travel. My cars lower than in that pic now. Im at the point now where I have to start cutting holes in things to go any lower. The king of low here is Cory (Hondamonster) def check out his thread if you wanna stance this thing! I think the limo idea would look badass slammed.

Edit: btw wheels in pic are 15x7 with a 195/50/15
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    just curious JohnDriver, since you know the limos, how well do the other front wheel drive limos hold up. like the caddys and buicks etc.?
    I love this car, more now than a year ago. I like the new wheels, bet there lighter weight.
    I wonder if a wrap would work on that car. There is a nice carbon fiber wrap vinyl out now, heck even some with graphics of skulls and shtuff too.
    I think once you get a few dozen more horses under the hood it will be easier on clutches. This would keep from having to slip it so much to get it to pull off. LIke I mentioned before the least expensive way to get there would be a weber 38, header (loose the heavy cast manifold) and some light weight exhaust plumbing.
    Every 50-100 lbs you take out makes a huge difference, I know it has with every Honda Ive owned.
    As for theme I would look around at some tour buses for ideas rather than F and F. There are some wild looking designs out there now days.
    all ive heard the 90s fwd caddy limos did as well as the stock cars(pos) but the new Cadillac cars have a central light system that uses light filimants(a real pain to stretch,so few companys do) also I have seen some chryslers and they have electrical issues. to be honest all limousines are real pos(compared to the stock version) once you cut a car completely in half and weld in a piece it gets weird,they always have some system that quits or acts up. front a/c,rear a/c,lighting systems.then the chronic problems that the factory cars had.coupled with draging another dead cars weight. the honda eats clutches/axles.it only has 150k mi.on it.
    just like in trucks,autos burn up so manual is the best workhorse tranny.thats what I liked about it(also hondas run forever) my other long car is a 1969 checker aerobus(8door,12 pass) google it.lol a beast,and indestructible ,they werent stretched,the factory built them to be that long.(so no growing pains lol.) I have heard the hummer stretch is o.k. but the hummer superstretch.eats the frontends out in months,not years.It is a labor of love.
    the wrap is a good idea,but expensive,for the grand or two I was quoted I can do a sweet paintjob(im a paint/body guy)but for a non painter,go for it(I just found out the new black&white cop cars are wraps)
    and as far as the clutch,ill try to explain. its not like I have to rev it and dump the clutch to go,I throttle up very little and eas of the clutch,as soon as I feel the rpm rise over my rolling speed(clutch slippage) i ease back on the gas till it grabs.then accelerate. I will prob.have a custom clutch made with alot of springs in it.like a truck clutch.(my dad ran a clutch reman shop) its just finding the time/money/inclination.in the same time frame.lol
    I think lightning this beast is a moot point.yes I know it works on a stock car(I just cutup a parts honda,wasnt much to it.)but the goobs in hockeyland made every brace and panel from 1/8"steel plate,sheesh,what were they thinkin'.
    anyhow I'm just the dude,It's,just a car. I feel better just knowin I'm the dude in this car.lmfao.
    (seriously thanks for allthe 3geez support.)
    1987 accord lx stretch,68/70 bradley gt,69/82 checker, 76/79 LUV,hey I need another accord..lol

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

haha that accord looks cute next to that

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

dude that is such a badass car.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

You should be able to get a V6 from an Acura Vigor (Legend? I can't remember? in there. It's very close to the same chassis. Parts availability for that motor is worse than the A series, and there aren't many left. Another option would be the JDM B series that is pretty popular around here. If you can find one at an importer here, it's because they ordered it by mistake and will let it go CHEAP. I saw a front cut with a B20 and a manual transmission for $600 bucks once.

For exterior, I'm betting you can vinyl wrap it yourself for less than $500.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

I like your car a whole lot, but it looks like those are all in very bad condition. Yours looks the best out of all I've seen.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yes, well I know the new cars do not let you modifiy the electrical system etc. , the whole system is dependant on signal trace resistance so no adding wire or splicing in to other circuits. Makes it real tough for outfitters of customs.

As for wraps, I do paint and body too and if there is a way to cover up something so it looks great and eliminates the headache of blocking mud, primer and old paint well then Im all for it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    For exterior, I'm betting you can vinyl wrap it yourself for less than $500.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442
    That's an excellent DIY. Thanks for posting it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

yes, well I know the new cars do not let you modifiy the electrical system etc. , the whole system is dependant on signal trace resistance so no adding wire or splicing in to other circuits. Makes it real tough for outfitters of customs.

As for wraps, I do paint and body too and if there is a way to cover up something so it looks great and eliminates the headache of blocking mud, primer and old paint well then Im all for it
    then you know how much im dreading the rotisserie that it needs. I mean its got two white paint jobs ant the second was an elcheapo,and it was built with 1987 bondo.lol I have myself talked into a temporary color change(so I can decide the final color) then it will all come off,when it gets dipped.(planning to take it apart in 2013,when it hits 25yrs) then reassemble it for another 25 yr run.
    also the fort worth transportation office and dfw airport ground transportation dept. will allow you to get a permit to operate as an antique.
    I intend to put it back to work. the car has some issues wrap wont hide(dent/chipping bondo in the rt side stretch panel and bumpers flaking pretty bad. im planning to get fiberglass bumpers/ground effects. going for subtle custom. factory wing simple facias and modded trunk hinges to open up and away. thought bout euro fixed lights,but nixed that in favor of keeping the flips(ill use halogen bulbs in euro glass housings) besides the 3 gee was the first family car EVER to have hidden headlamps
    havent a clue what to do to the taillights???
    thought bout cutting the quarters and fitting the 90 and up taillights(they come in euro clear.) any suggestions im not just gonna hack it,ill cut the quarters of a donor and graft them on proper.also thought bout removing the trunk tail panel and filling it with sheet metal? going for a smoother look,tring to keep the flavor yet make it mine

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I'd personally leave the tails as-is. You can make the stock ones look good, it just takes the right paint and smoke. A tail light swap won't ever look right, unless you're putting Legend tail lights in, which follow the lines pretty closely.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I'd personally leave the tails as-is. You can make the stock ones look good, it just takes the right paint and smoke. A tail light swap won't ever look right, unless you're putting Legend tail lights in, which follow the lines pretty closely.
    x2, no way I would use 4 gen parts on that beauty but I do agree they make some nice looking tails for those.
    That vw passat spoiler would look goood on it though, likes very similar to one mykwikcoupe got from mark.

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

x2, no way I would use 4 gen parts on that beauty but I do agree they make some nice looking tails for those.
    That vw passat spoiler would look goood on it though, likes very similar to one mykwikcoupe got from mark.
    I had thought of using acura parts including the vigor and integra. In fact I had considered cutting from the rear doors back and swap the back off a 4 dr integra of the same years(what are those 1st/2nd gen?) but they are hatches and I like the trunk back.it looks more limo like. the acura line is more appropriate (being luxury and all).I was looking at the integra front sheet metal.it should bolt on.found a acura leather wraped steering wheel(identical to honda including the cruise buttons) but the junk yard crushed it before I got back to pull it. I know you guys are 3rd gen nutz(thats why were all here) but im more about corporate loyalty.I put a chevy v8 in my chevy luv(even tho the ford 302 is a much easier swap)yes I know it is a izuzu underneath.
    this forum is more of a "thinking out loud" sounding board for me(thanks!!!)
    I still have alot of ideas rollin round my head .this project is such a blank canvas.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I have heaps of ideas that I think would make it look good. they're just my personal tastes, but might as well share lol.

I reckon those aftermarket red/clear tail lights you can get for our cars would look good on it, with a vigor garnish, some how making the garnish match the lights though
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1...1103281014.jpg

another thing that I think would look good is the oem door mouldings with the chrome strip in them & facelift bumpers

If only I had photoshop

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The Integra rear would have to be widened a considerable amount. The Vigor rear would look pretty close to what you have now. The body lines are pretty similar. The Vigor has box flares on the front and back, which might not look good on something long like your limo. Grafting those box flares in would give you more room for wide wheels, though.

For slightly different tail lights, you do have the option for the JDM Vigor tail lights. They swap directly in with no body mods required. I think that would look good on the limo.

For a nice wheel, look for a third generation Prelude wheel. They're a really nicely shaped 3 spoke steering wheel.

Because race car

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if you cut the body, you are going to end up with a mess, they probably went to a lot of trouble to stretch the unibody already, start cutting the wrong thing and the entire car might come apart, best to leave that alone, plus the body is an original real limo, if you cut it up, it's not anymore

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

ok IM just learning the vigors what years were close to our hondas,and on the taillights you do know there are two sizes? mine is an 87 but the set of 89 sei taillights I bought are to big for the holes??WTF is it just the sei? or were they 86-87/88-89??
    the big prob I had was noone offered the clear lights for 87 accord.(on ebay)
    hell I might just mod my quarters to accept the 89 lights.I do want to use the integra bumper due to a space for the license plate,then ill swap for a vigor tailpiece or smooth over the center section(I have 2 decklids to experiment with)

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDriver View Post
    ok IM just learning the vigors what years were close to our hondas,and on the taillights you do know there are two sizes? mine is an 87 but the set of 89 sei taillights I bought are to big for the holes??WTF is it just the sei? or were they 86-87/88-89??
    the big prob I had was noone offered the clear lights for 87 accord.(on ebay)
    hell I might just mod my quarters to accept the 89 lights.I do want to use the integra bumper due to a space for the license plate,then ill swap for a vigor tailpiece or smooth over the center section(I have 2 decklids to experiment with)
    You would need a Trunk Lid off a 1988-89 Accord to use the 88-89 Lights

They did make make a older style light on the 85-87 Vigors

These are 85-87 Accord JDM Tail's they Direct fit in place of your 86-87 USDM Lights

and heres the 85-87 Vigor Style, That is Direct fit to your 86-87 USDM Trunk

Last edited by forrest89sei; 05-04-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Fixed
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

lol @ my old shitty sub

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Wow I had no idea about the 85-87 jdm lights being different, I only knew of the JDM Vigor lights with different bumper to accomdate tag.
    The Vigor lights would make it look "Lincolnish" like a Mark III aka taurus hull.
    I kinda like those 85-87 lights for my own car!

Vehicle
    1987 accord stretch limo

as a side note the sei lights were taller (or hang down lower) all the dimensions match,cept at the bottom the sei lights have an attached black plastic plate that says SEI where my quarters have a lower panel(between lamp and bumper) that says LX. I should dig them out and measure them.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDriver View Post
    as a side note the sei lights were taller (or hang down lower) all the dimensions match,cept at the bottom the sei lights have an attached black plastic plate that says SEI where my quarters have a lower panel(between lamp and bumper) that says LX. I should dig them out and measure them.
    Yes if there off a Coupe, Coupe Lights won't fit on a Sedan
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Wow I had no idea about the 85-87 jdm lights being different, I only knew of the JDM Vigor lights with different bumper to accomdate tag.
    The Vigor lights would make it look "Lincolnish" like a Mark III aka taurus hull.
    I kinda like those 85-87 lights for my own car!
    yes a Mark III is just a tortoise with more electrical gremlins