Thread: Need help

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX sedan

Need help

I have a stock 83 accord, this morning driving to work everything was fine. There is a hill that I just coast down to get to my parking spot right about the time I was parking I noticed it started to idle high. I rev it a little thinking maybe it was sticking which happens sometimes, it didn't come down so I shut it off. The car sputtered a little then I see a little cloud of white smoke come out from under the hood. I pop it open didn't see anything at first.Then I notice smoke coming out of the air cleaner area. take off the top there is a tube of some sort that I can see the smoke coming out of.

I will admit I don't know a whole lot about these carbs so if I'm not explaining something right please let me know.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Need help

Pic of said hose?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX sedan

it is the tube/hose to the left of the mesh grill that covers the carb. Let me know if you need a different angle picture or something

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

That looks like your crankcase vent tube. I'm not sure why smoke would be coming out of there... are you sure it wasn't steam? It's possible you might have a head gasket leak, and you're getting some water in the crankcase and it's evaporating and making it's way up in there (which is what it's supposed to do). But excess steam is not a good sign. Check your oil and make sure it's not milky brown.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX sedan

Oil looks normal. I had to drive to the bank at lunch and everything seemed normal. I know things don't just fix themselves, but could it have just been a fluke

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch

Was the motor fully warmed up? Do you let it warm up before you drive it? Sometimes if you drive before its completely warmed up it'll cause a little extra vapor which is ok. And driving it while the choke is still on sometimes gets the carb running strange until everything cools back down which is probably why it was fine at lunch
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer View Post
    Was the motor fully warmed up? Do you let it warm up before you drive it? Sometimes if you drive before its completely warmed up it'll cause a little extra vapor which is ok. And driving it while the choke is still on sometimes gets the carb running strange until everything cools back down which is probably why it was fine at lunch
    that may have been it we were running a little behind this morning and I kinda hurried out.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What did the smoke smell like?
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    What did the smoke smell like?
    I don't know most of it came out when I first shut the car off. By the time I figured out where it was coming from and got the top of the sir cleaner off there just a little lingering the crank case vent tube.

It has not done it since so I am hoping it was just form not letting it warm up good before I left in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the help

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That's the PCV hose right? What are the chances that the PCV valve is needing some love?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Quote Originally Posted by 2geetrey View Post

it is the tube/hose to the left of the mesh grill that covers the carb. Let me know if you need a different angle picture or something
    Not sure about the 83, but in the 88-89 ones there is a similar tube that goes to the antiafterburn circuit. So if there was a misfire when you did shut the car down, the smoke of the explosion in the intake manifold (due to the misfire) is what you saw.

So I believe the smog was a consecuence and not the cause of your high idle.

High idle is produced for anything keeping your throttle open. Sorry but never seen an 83. I actually haven't seen another accord other than mine