Thread: carb to FI

DX User

Exclamation carb to FI

i have a 89 and its a carb i want to know how hard it would it would be to change the engine from carb to FI engine my engine is burning oil alot of it like a qt a day or more but i found a FI motor for semi cheap i found a honda i like so im trying my best to keep it thank yall in advance

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Re: carb to FI

Search!

DX User

i did search thats what im doing now so is there any way you could help me please

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112

It's a lot of work.

Or a much easier way is just keep it carbed and use the block from the cheap FI motor (swap the manifolds and such over to the new block).
    www.b20accord.com

DX User

can i use the hole engine and just swap the carb and intake over to the new motor?

3Geez Veteran

No. Just get an LX-i or SE-i.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

^^^ wrong

Yes you can just swap the intake with head and exhaust. Basically just put the new block in with all the carb stuff on it. Swap carb head/intake/dizzy to Fi block and preferably the exhaust header too and you good to go

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

DX User

see thats kinda the problem i believe my head is bad

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

He'll need the fuel pump too,(fuel injection takes more fuel pressure) along with the line. Few other things to like engine bay harness, ECU, etc.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Demon1024 View Post
    Yes you can just swap the intake with head and exhaust. Basically just put the new block in with all the carb stuff on it. Swap carb head/intake/dizzy to Fi block and preferably the exhaust header too and you good to go
    Wrong. He was thinking all he needed to do was install the carburetor and intake. Not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Accord-DX View Post
    He'll need the fuel pump too,(fuel injection takes more fuel pressure) along with the line. Few other things to like engine bay harness, ECU, etc.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Seems like you have alot to do here...but if you dont mind me asking the mileage of the car?

DX User

ok how do i go about getting a head for my car? for a kinda cheap price

DX User

and the car has 165000 on the car

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 19accord89 View Post
    and the car has 165000 on the car
    OK now thats worth the swap if i say so myself. if you can find another car but FI model for a donor and swap everything. to answer your question for a head the junkyard is your best bet for the price.

DX User

see i didnt find a car i found a engine and how will i know if the head is any good if i get it for the junk yard see the only problem i have with my engine is that its burning oil a qt or more a day and it smokes when i take off not while im driving

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

It is one of two things more than likely. Either your valve stem seals are leaking pretty bad or your piston rings are going.. with it buring that much oil if no other leaks are found.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 05-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.

DX User

what about the heads that make them so different form a efi and the carb?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The distributor carrier is the only difference I found between the carb and FI heads. It is held on by four bolts and swaps over easily enough.

You don't really have a lot of miles on the car. Unless you have been running it without oil or otherwise abusing it, it shouldn't need to be replaced. Have you done a compression test? Have you replaced all the engine seals recently to be sure they aren't leaking? Have you determined for certain what is causing the smoke? Probably valve stem seals like 88-AccordDX suggested. You're losing an awful lot of oil. If all of it were burning, you would have an awful lot of smoke. Probably most of your oil is leaking from your engine seals. If your engine is encrusted with slimy filth, you have leaky seals. An engine swap/rebuild is a lot of work. Valve stems and engine seals are a lot less and cheap. Don't just assume you need a new engine, do some diagnostics and find out for sure.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

see the only probem with doing all them test is its my DD and i really dont have time to do it all i was trying to do something that might take a day or two like a weekend job or something and ill do more research and what all seals do i need to do it? thank you guys for all your help

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

When you say it smokes on take off, do you mean when you give it gas when starting off at a light? When you punch it going up a hill, do you see blue smoke out the back? A quart is a lot. My crx with a blown ring land smoked bad but didn't lose that much oil in a day. Do you see puddles of oil under the car?

I think it's best for you to try and diagnose your cause of losing so much oil first if it's a DD you need with little down time. Testing it will take way less time then swapping stuff.

Not everyone has the tools to do a leak down test but a compression test is very simple and at least tell you how good the compression is. Low numbers all across and lots of burning oil will more than likely mean the rings are toast. It could also be a clogged pcv valve, super leaky seals all over the place, or maybe everything is bad.

Also, don't bother with the carb to fi swap if you are trying to fix it over weekend. An engine swap (dropping in a new motor) is totally doable over 2 days if you are somewhat experienced. It would help if you cleaned up and changed all the seals and such on the "new" block when you have time before hand. That way, all you need to do when you pull your old motor out is to slap on new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and then swap the exhaust and intake manifolds from the old motor to the new one.

I used an EFI block with carb manifolds as I had a spare one when I bought my old 88 with blown motor. I can't remember what I had to do to get the distributor to bolt up though. It's been over 10 years since I did it.
    Last edited by YK86; 05-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    www.b20accord.com