Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Budget Race lude!

SEi User

Re: Budget Race lude!

Yay was the regulator put a brand new one in and now at a steady 14.5volts!! :0)
    Unfortunately still have a tiny bit of stuttering but I think that's due to the huge temp drop we got over this week so probably have to decrease the air corrector to richen it a tiny bit

SEi User

After my Ajusa gasket blew across the middle two cylinders and was leaking on 1 and 4 I've got my nice lovely teflon coated Felpro on with my nice shiny rebuilt A18 big valve head fitted. It's alive which is more can be said for the Beemer which is dead! It's quick but needs a bit more running in, and some tweeks which I need to deal with then tuning it all up hopefully next weekend for MOT test. Loads of low and midrange torque even with the 285 camshaft which is good, top end needs attention has a bit of a miss fire but it feels real quick!! Had a little test drive round the lanes and it's fast can really feel the extra torque on these A18 they really do work nice if your after torque rather than BHP. Not sure how much better it will be but I'll be happy with 190-200bhp and oodles of torque but we'll see stock ported manifold still a restriction and so is stock ignition system. Ideally I'd love to be running an ET1 with a 2.0l bore but I have no spare blocks left and only one head gasket left that will fit one if i did. CR ratio should be pretty good now with the A18 head sitting on A20A4 block.

SEi User

Well started up the old girl again today, did some more tweaking, changed the ignition timing for a little more retard, and oh my god it's now pulling like a train from 5-8k rpm it's quite frankly slightly scary!! lol!!
    I can't wait to get this car to the tuners to dial in the carbs for emissions and power on full throttle!! Going to hopefully get this done Saturday morning and ready for MOT test in afternoon then back to being road legal!! Yay!!
    Haven't change the jetting settings from when it was running last but to be honest doesn't seem to be too bad as it is!! May just be a case of fiddling with the ignition timing and altering some idle jets and possibly trying a couple of different air correctors and main jets. But I'm pretty happy with it so far and that's just with a few blips up and down the back roads. 2nd gear is just killer!! Hit's 70mph in no time!!
    Going to heat cycle it again tomorrow, then check for any leaks and bleed the coolant in the system. Then will compression check each cylinder and see where were at hopefully that will be at around 180-190psi per cylinder and then we'll know were in business if that's the case!

SEi User

Inlet ports with bronze guides

Nice view of the whole assembly fitted quite a difference to the A20 setup bit shorter and the odd offseting of the inlet ports

Close up of the chambers

Inlet valve head

Side profile of the inlet valve head

Exhaust valve head

Side profile of exhast valve head

Both valves together quite a size difference inlet 33mm exhaust 37mm on this head

Last edited by rjudgey; 01-22-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Those intake ports are huge :O

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Those valves look so shiny! lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

wow, that looks amazing...

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Are those custom valves? Looks good!!! Vids?
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User

Oh yeah they certainly are
    With a new a18 head with these valves cr ratio would be better seats had to be cut deep as this is 3rd time they've been done, but head still has some life and it works well! Should be good for 15-20k miles as long as headgasket can hold up ok have felpro in now guessing cr ratio is around 10.5-11:1.

SEi User

Well did q compression test good news is its not toast lol 195psi on 1 and 4 180psi on 3 but 2 was down to 175psi probably poor ring gapping from me as I just over filed one set if rings on one cylinder by a smidge and didn't bother changing to a new ring to redo.

Could also be a slightly leaky valve seat as its still not done much miles wo compression could increase still! But to be getting 195psi on a 285 cam is vgood with the overlap!

Anyway carb tuner was a legend dialed them in quick he said my main jets I had done wasn't far off so he only had to really tweek the idle circuit and ignition timing weirdly it loves 4-6 degrees 10 and it lost power! How weird is that! So no point using super unleaded lol!

Anyway to all you peeps who think an a18 has no power how does nearly 200bhp at 7400rpm with nearly 160lbft at 5500rpm grab you! Well hapoy to finally have a a18 pulling these numbers! Don't forget this is a stick a20a3/4 block with just a modded head, reground cam, stock cast header, and webers bolted on, ignition is stock too! To get well over 200bhp going to get header custom made soon and then look at bisi cam with more lift should increase rev band to 8k and more power and torque I would expect about 215-220bhp and 165-170lbft. After that we would have to look at titanium rods custom forged high ce pistons, more titanium goodies for wrist pins retainers, lighter valves, thinner stems, and weber dcoe 48's would be a must with 44mm chokes.

SEi User

Will post graphs up later when u scan em off to get car tested now!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

badass!!! Can't wait to see the graphs!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Dude that soynds amazing! I truely need to spend some time n a head like you did! Do you know if any head will work on my weird et2 block? I do have a spare a20 head that i was going to save for a wicked a20 build in the coupe somewhere down the road...

SEi User

Whats a weird ET2 block? Or you mean your ET block? (as in old design?)

Graph is here! yay!

I think real world it's probably putting down a bit more power and torque from the cooler air outside and also more air rushing into the engine bay. Seriously have lots of traction issues in 1st and 2nd gear if I give it full beans from standstill.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

wow rich, thats amazing!!! you need to build a honest high compression block to go with all that head! That thing must be flowing like crazy!

what i was saying before is that I've got that weird ET2 block that has the odd head gasket... I'm sure i've got pictures of said head gasket in my build, I was just curious, being that I do have an extra A20 head... Would be nice to get the Roland manifold for the A20, and switch to it later, of course if it works or not...

Its starting to look like my goal of reaching 140whp here at 5200ft about sea level is going to be hard to do!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

That's awesome! Is that power at the wheels?!

SEi User

Lol I wish it was!! Getting 230bhp out of an A18/20 hybrid would be sweet but I'd need a bit more work.
    For starters the head was a bit rushed, didn't get the best possible valve stem sizes due to cockup by machinist, so ended up with 7mm stems all round, next time round I'd go with 6.5mm on exhaust vavles and 6mm on inlet valves using the supertech valve options or again maybe custom from SI. The shape of the valves isn't too bad but I had to do a lot to them to get them as nice as they are in the pictures just a shame I couldn't waste them anymore than they were, currently they had .5mm waisted from SI as standard. Also the chamber work was a bit rushed as it was a bit used from other builds and had suffered a bit of damage from a stray nut, but it had a big skim lots of deshrouding, but the inlet ports and exhaust ports have had some crazy work done to them and the inlet manifold is perfectly matched along with the gasket. The exhaust guide could have had a bit of work done to it but I decided to keep it stock to help cool exhaust valve and reduce wear on the guide itself, and also this is with a oem cast manifold albeit a modded one with bigger ports and smoothed out a bit on the inside, main increases in power for future is tubular custom race manifold, titanium retainers, smaller stems on valves, Bisi camshaft with increased lift this cam only has 10mm!!, fresher head with more seat left in the chambers and no damage to it, possibly titanium LS rods from eagle and some nice custom high compression pistons. This would definately see 240-250bhp I think given I'm getting this much with a stock A20A3/4 block an 9.4:1 compression pistons although with a A18 head on top it's more like 11:1 but if I can increase to 12:1 lighter rotating mass, could work into a very fine engine. Would probably need better induction so would have to look at weber DCOE 48's with 44mm choke or throttle bodies with 45mm bore size.

SEi User

Think for now I need to work on traction, so may have to think about LSD, but for now gonna get some super sticky tyres 205/50/15 or wider if I can, get the suspension up in the air on the back get bit more weight out the car. Hit the strip when the weather gets a bit less snowy and the car should be able to hit well into the mid 13's maybe less if I can get the traction!!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

You need something sticker for sure! Itll really wake up the suspension!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

I'm wanting to get a new suspension, and i love that you're there... near them. How much shorter are the shock bodies vs the stock ones... how is the valving on this thing, solid or dinky... how much lower can you go vs the pictures of the car... Do you think mark will be willing to go with inch shorter springs all around?

I've really been thinking about a suspension, and i'm seriously looking at these, but i'm worried that the valving isn't going to be solid... knowing its sizes would make me alot happier about the whole thing... (btw, just the shock bodies... not interested in the lengths including the pistons..)

(tried to PM you but your box is full...)

SEi User

Lol calm down! hehe! inbox is empty now.

As far as I can tell the shock bodies are pretty much the same as stock they used the original shocks to find something that was similiar to stock, how different they are I never compared to be honest. The front can go lower the rear about 1cm more if you remove the lock ring on the spring perch and just have the one and tighten it up against the body instead. (not sure how safe that is though with 600lb spring. Although in theory as you say you might be able to get a very slightly shorter spring which would be the better option. To be honest though my car is so low I'd hate to go any lower especially if it's going on the road still. I have to avoid certain roads as I know I won't clear the humps, the front can go about another inch lower if I dared too! lol! But I'm really happy with the handling as it is even with the 195 road tyres I'm using.
    I think for the money you'd be happy be really hard to get something that would be better. Hot bit's maybe a better design and can be modded to give you everything you need but you'd be paying through your nose for it!! If money were no object I'd have gotten Hotbits and I'd still like to one day but I only had limited budget and still do plus their local so if they need rebuilding I can just pop them down myself!!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Hmmm, still sounds tasty, I want to fully redo.the suspension, but it doesn't have to the fancy konis! This is quickly seeming the best all around option
    And cant argue with the price!

SEi User

Shame u can't get a cheap flight over to try it out! I think u woukd be impressed it impressed me a lot! but then I only had koni reds and some avo lowering springs that only had low spring rates on rear but was still pretty good.

SEi User

Hmmm shame I can't fit this to the lude!!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

what in the world is that for? the Bimmer?