Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proud New Owner of a '89 Hatchback Lxi

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Proud New Owner of a '89 Hatchback Lxi

I just recently joined this site after purchasing a used '89 Hatchback Accord Lxi as my first car. I can't believe how well these cars were built.

I bought my Lxi for $1450. Only things wrong with it are a bad radio, what appears to be a bad brake-lamp sensor, a broken driverside door handle, and also one hub which I need to replace soon, but that's it. Everything else is perfect.

Only has 110k miles on it. Automatic. Starts like a beast, and runs amazing. No wonder there is an entire website created just for owners of these awesome cars.

I don't know much about cars, but I'm eager to learn. I only want to make a few mods on it, more of exterior work than performance related stuff. The first thing I want to do is find louvers for the hatch! I see quite a few people on this site have louvers... can anyone with some tell me how the visibility is out of the rear window with those on? They look awesome but it seems like they would double the amount of the blindspot.

3Geez Veteran

Re: Proud New Owner of a '89 Hatchback Lxi

What's wrong with the stereo? Also, make sure both side markers, all four tail lights, and all five brake lights are working properly so ensure that the sensor is bad.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch

beautiful start you have there. thats a super rare color and it looks like its mint.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    What's wrong with the stereo? Also, make sure both side markers, all four tail lights, and all five brake lights are working properly so ensure that the sensor is bad.
    It appears to be dead. Buttons and stuff light up but the stereo doesn't actually "turn on". Radio fuse isn't blown. I think it's just dead.

I replaced the passenger side brake light, the bulb didn't look like it was burnt out, however it didn't light when the brake was applied. It lights again now that I replaced the bulb however the "brake lamp" indicator still remains lit after first applying the brake whenever using the car. There are 5 brake lights? That's embarrassing... I was only aware of 3. Are there actually 2 brake lights on each side and then one in the middle? Perhaps that's a simpler fix than I was aware of. Thank you. I'll check to make sure all FIVE brake lights are working properly and all FOUR tail lights are working as well.

3Geez Veteran

Yes, there are two tail/brake (dual-filament) light bulbs on each side. Don't worry; I only learned this about the hatchbacks a few weeks ago. Check the wires above the brake pedal and make sure they're secure. Check the wiring around each bulb to make sure they are secure as well. Does the "tail lamp" check light come on for the tail lights as well, or only until after you have pressed the brakes for the first time after the car has been started?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer View Post
    beautiful start you have there. thats a super rare color and it looks like its mint.
    It is in very good condition! A few scratches here and there, but nothing deep that won't come out. Interior is in even better shape than the exterior.

3Geez Veteran

What color is your car? I don't understand how NXRacer has seen it already...

Vehicle

Yes, there are two tail/brake (dual-filament) light bulbs on each side. Don't worry; I only learned this about the hatchbacks a few weeks ago. Check the wires above the brake pedal and make sure they're secure. Check the wiring around each bulb to make sure they are secure as well. Does the "tail lamp" check light come on for the tail lights as well, or only until after you have pressed the brakes for the first time after the car has been started?
    The "brake lamp" indicator doesn't come on until after the brake is first applied every time after starting the car. It then stays on until the car is turned off. I will check the wiring above the brake pedal and around the bulbs while checking to see if each brake light/tail light is working properly. I hope that's the problem though, since it would be an easy fix.

Vehicle

What color is your car? I don't understand how NXRacer has seen it already...
    It's a glossy red. I have a picture of it in my forum signature.

3Geez Veteran

It looks like it's either going to be a dead brake light (higher filament) or the brake pedal thing.

3Geez Veteran

It looks like it's either going to be a dead brake light (higher filament) or the brake pedal thing.
    edit: I forgot that I had signatures and avatars hidden for my old computer. Oh, and to make things easier for you; if you want to quote multiple posts at a time instead of quoting and replying to each one individually, click the "multi-quote" button (the one with the " and +) next to the "quote" button; select each one you want to quote and just hit the regular quote button on the last one you're quoting. All of them will show up on the following reply page.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Nice Hatch! looks really good.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

great looking hatch, make sure to post up more pics of the car and Welcome to the forum

Vehicle

I checked all the brake lights just now. It appears the inner two brake lights don't light up as brake lights, only as normal tail lights. That's probably what originally threw me off since it didn't look like any lights were burnt out the first time I checked. Also, I think I remember seeing a 15A fuse placed in the fusebox for the 10A "(L) Taillight". This was set like this when I got the car a week ago. Should I switch the 15A fuse to a 10A like the fusebox diagram shows should be there?

edit: I forgot that I had signatures and avatars hidden for my old computer. Oh, and to make things easier for you; if you want to quote multiple posts at a time instead of quoting and replying to each one individually, click the "multi-quote" button (the one with the " and +) next to the "quote" button; select each one you want to quote and just hit the regular quote button on the last one you're quoting. All of them will show up on the following reply page.
    Oh ok, cool thanks. That makes things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBoyCA6 View Post
    Nice Hatch! looks really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    great looking hatch, make sure to post up more pics of the car and Welcome to the forum
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post more pics of it when I take some more shots of it.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    Also, I think I remember seeing a 15A fuse placed in the fusebox for the 10A "(L) Taillight". This was set like this when I got the car a week ago. Should I switch the 15A fuse to a 10A like the fusebox diagram shows should be there?
    Definitely. Too strong/weak of a fuse can cause electrical problems. Make sure all fuses are good and the correct rating.

Vehicle

Definitely. Too strong/weak of a fuse can cause electrical problems. Make sure all fuses are good and the correct rating.
    Alright. I'll switch out the fuse today, then pick up some replacement bulbs from autozone tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help!

Great looking hatch!

Welcome!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Welcome! Car looks great so we need lots more pics.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Huh i have this same friggn break light issue, i thought i had it fixed, but just recently it came back! it sporadically turns on then nothing for a while...
    i changed bulbs, tested fuses (the break lights worked EVEN WITH THE FUSES OUT!!!), so all in all really trippy stuff... im not too concerned, it passed the roadworthy, a little light goes on, how bad could it be... *SMASHHHHHH*

But seriously, nice car! im glad you didn't get all the problems i had with mine, but i guess mine is the oldest model of them all being made in late '85. The paint is very nice? is it a standard colour? i've never seen it before! (looks metallic).

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Australian 86 View Post
    The paint is very nice? is it a standard colour? i've never seen it before! (looks metallic).
    http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Available_colors

That site needs some serious updating, though...

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LXi 3-door

About the brake light indicator.....lostforawhile informed me about a box that is attached to one of the tail light housings that if it goes bad, it'll cause the brake light indicator to light up, even if all you're bulbs are working.

1986 Accord LXi 3-door
    1968 Chevy C20

Vehicle

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Available_colors

That site needs some serious updating, though...
    The car's color is the original R-70M paint, which is "Navajo Red Metallic Clearcoat". And yes, that website you posted the link to definitely needs to be updated. Also, it shows in the color thumbnail that R-70M is a slightly pinkish color. That looks nothing like the R-70M color paint on my car.
    Last edited by 89HatchbackLxi; 05-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Vehicle

On the way to work this morning I turned the radio to on and to my surprise, it actually came on! It died a minute later, however, in the parking lot at work, I turned the car off for a minute, then turned the ignition to the first setting and tried the radio again. It worked for about a minute again, but then it died again. After work I tried to get the radio to turn on again, but I had no luck... I was planning on getting a new radio, but if this one turns off randomly, maybe it isn't the radio that's bad but rather the wiring or something. Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of how I can check to see if the radio/stereo is bad or if it's just a problem with the wiring?

Also, the audio to the front passenger side speakers cut out during one of the instances in which the radio turned on. I adjusted the radio front slightly and then the sound returned to all the speakers... That seems to me like it's a wiring problem, however, I checked where the connector plugs into the back of the radio unit, and it seems to be connected properly/correctly. I'm a total noob when it comes to this kind of stuff though, so any ideas on how to check if its the radio or the car would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and the radio fuse is not blown.

3Geez Veteran

The car's color is the original R-70M paint, which is "Navajo Red Metallic Clearcoat". And yes, that website you posted the link to definitely needs to be updated. Also, it shows in the color thumbnail that R-70M is a slightly pinkish color. That looks nothing like the R-70M color paint on my car.
    It's kind of car to show metallic colors on a computer screen which is why it looks pink.

[long post]
    Make sure all of the wires in the back of the deck are good and tight, as well as the wires going to all of the speakers.

Vehicle

Make sure all of the wires in the back of the deck are good and tight, as well as the wires going to all of the speakers.
    I switched out the fuse from the 10A that was there to a new 15A fuse that was supposed to be there. I put in 2 new bulbs to replace the burnt out brake lights and the "brake lamp" indicator no longer comes on. I feel stupid for not knowing that there were actually 5 brake lights. But I'm glad that it was an easy fix and nothing (well, other than two bulbs) needed to be fixed. Thanks for the help!

(Those dark areas near the Honda emblem are just reflections of the neighbor's trees, not scrapes in the paint.