Thread: which Weber where to buy

which Weber where to buy

Hi,

I'd like to learn more about Weber upgrade. My 3G drives ok and gets over 30 MPG. But it has very high idle when engine is cold, and exhaust pipe smells like raw gas. But once the engine is warmed up, it seems to run pretty good. If I shut off the engine hot and restart it 5 minutes later, it will high idle for another 5 minutes. It's like some sensor is not calibrated correctly. The engine also stubble sometimes when I turn left or right too fast.

(1) If I'm looking for good MPG, reliable, simple carburetion (not high performance); which Weber should I buy?

(2) Where do I buy a new Weber? Is there a kit for our 3G?

(3) About how much should this cost?

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Re: which Weber where to buy

I bought my 32/36 kit from carbsunlimited, with the kit and a few things added right about 400. Mine has been dead reliable, makes things lawn tractor simple.
    A little bit of fab is required but read up on the link that Totaled gave and it will be easy. I did mine in about three hours. Alot of fun to toss all that stuff out.
    Don't know where you are located but the need to pass emisions is a consideration as well.
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

wow greentea and bushbean long time no see...hope everyone is good.
    Either the 38 or 32/36 are good choices, as for fuel economy the progressive 32/36 gives the best of both worlds if you wind it out alot but the 38 if set up right can give you equal or better mpg than stock as well.
    The 38 is more expensive if you buy it new but I think they're worth it because they really change the personality of the car. Gas mileage doesn't suffer a bit as long as you don't floor it constantly and you will once in a while as it is, sounds beautilicious. The good thing is the 38 gives the smoothest idle at a lower rpm as well it allows you to drive with barely pressing the gas at all, runs on the idle jets during regular driving most of the time till you stomp in it.
    You will be glad you converted with either one, oh yes without a doubt.

Howdy,

I've left my 3G sitting in the garage for a long while. I finally decided to take it out and fix it all up. Y'all will hear from me often from now on.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

i think i bought my old weber 38/38 from redline, it came with the adapter plate and everything, just needed to fabricate the throttle linkage. cost around 5-600ish i think.
    my dcoe's i got from a member, but the manifold had to be custom made...

i HIGHLY recommend a weber swap.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

Just rec'd mine (K-728 32/36) yesterday I found on Ebay for $260ish total. Hope to get it on there soon. I hope it will work as well as you guys have said. Willing to bet I'll be posting on here for some help though. Are replacement air filters readily availble? From where?
    Last edited by TotaledTL; 05-25-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by TotaledTL View Post
    Just rec'd mine (K-728 32/36) yesterday I found on Ebay for $260ish total. Hope to get it on there soon. I hope it will work as well as you guys have said. Willing to bet I'll be posting on here for some help though. Are replacement air filters readily availble? From where?
    Yes they are, I found them at a really good deal at http://www.jtoutfitters.com/
    truck aftermarket online store, go to the weber section...

Last edited by bushbean; 05-25-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Manual choke is old school cool, but is it easy to add a choke knob and cable in the dashboard?

Which is better: "electric" or "water" choke?

Does Carb Unlimited's conversion kit (K728 $379) come with the proper jets?

So is the conversion kit like plug-n-play (no need to tune)?
    32/36 DGV 5A - New Manual Choke Weber Carburetor (Made in Spain)
    32/36 DGEV - New Electric Choke Weber Carburetor (Made in Spain)
    32/36 DGAV - New Water Choke Weber Carburetor (Made in Spain)
    32/36 DFEV - New Electric Choke Weber Carburetor (reverse direction)
    Last edited by bushbean; 05-25-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I definatley would want a manual choke because the webers can be a little sensative in the cold weather if you have it jetted for warmer weather. I put one on another 3gen I had and it was really easy and there is a blank tab space on the dash for it, or you can mount it on the console under the dash.
    To me the electric choke comes off a litte too soon.

Swapping idle jets every season is practical though, only takes a few minutes since they are accesable on the outside of the carb.

I ordered a round adapter today from jt outfitters, hopefully i can find a low profile air cleaner that will allow hood clearance. I hope it is what I think it is and will use a four barrel type aftermarket air cleaner.

Their standard weber air cleaner/filter assembly for 19.95 is a good deal, I bought one for another carb I have and its legit. The taller one hits the hood though, you can beat out the hood or cut a hole and use a scoop.

Jetting, they come with standard jetting which will run ok on the car but there is always room for improvement so a jet kit is handy to have. You still wind up buying some jets individual to fine tune. Another handy thing to have is a wideband guage so you can monitor the carb.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 05-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

I would say that if I had to do it again I would have bought the 38. It hasn't long after I got the 32/36 fairly dialed in that I wanted MOAR!!! Really is a lot of fun to drive.

Roodoo -- Good to see you are still around here. I'm a blessed man, but had some lean times there for a minute, no place or enthusiasm to work on the 3g, etc. Now I'm way behind on things that need to be done. (pass halfshalft, replace 5th gear, ds trans output seal, yada,yada,yada....)
    Hoping things have been good for you as well.
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l