Thread: 17 state road trip 87 accord lx few problems

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 HONDA ACCORD LX CARB 5SP MAN. 283K

Talking 17 state road trip 87 accord lx few problems

I'm going on a 17 state road trip and recently began just redoing most of the major stuff on the car to make sure i don't end up stuck in the middle of nowhere so far new cv axles new wheel bearing my old ones were humming tunes process of switching my clutch and flywheel i changed the pcv valve and the filter for the pcv my o2 sensor left caliper was failing so i replaced that i think my fail safe thermostat might be stuck on open takes forever to heat up and even then it wont heat up properly on my gauge i'm in cali so its not too cold to be cooling the engine down i changed timing and the timing belt component i made sure it was tdc check timing. Right before the trip i'm doing air oil filter change full synthetic oil ngk iridium plugs lucas fuel system cleaner radiator flush and 70/30 coolant. Here are my questions i want to install a thing i found on jcwhitney its called miles per gallon gauge and it hooks up to a vacuum line or port on the intake i was wondering if its worth it that will also help me troubleshoot any vacuum problems and will make me aware of the way i'm driving and give me more miles to the gallon since gas is like more than minimum wage also shoot me some things to change so i can make the 17 state road trip. Also shoot more items i can do to increase millage besides what i mentioned also one last thing 5015 miles and 148hours of driving will take a toll (no hotel stopping only gas few cat naps on rest areas) on the body so i want too get my cruise control working so it can do the job of holding the gas pedal here is what its doing light on the button comes on but when i try to engage the cruise it wont take it and the light on the cluster wont come on any ideas on what to do i had the problem where my brake light stayed on after i released it the little plastic on the pedal was broken the car thought i was always pressing brake even off so i tried to auto zone the plastic no luck so super glue and a lincoln penny blocked the hole the plastic on the clutch was also gone so i put a lincoln on that pedal too thinking the car might think my clutch was engaged tried it after still no cruise so help please so shoot your ideas for parts to replace ,parts to increase mpg, ideas on that miles per gallon gauge, and thing to try and fix my cruise control i hope you guys like my book hahaha first post thanks to all who help

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

Re: 17 state road trip 87 accord lx few problems

i see dots most on top of i

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

get rid of the irridium plugs,plain old ngk V power

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by g.frost View Post
    i see dots most on top of i
    no the question is what to change on my car not dots on top of i speaking my mind not worried about writing properly this isnt school or contest on who writes better alright ok so get rid of the IR. plugs what else should i switch out i just finished washing my trans. new flywheel is in and about to install pressure plate and clutch disc.

side question. what can i do to improve the life of my clutch the last one only lasted 2years or is that average life i was driving like a maniac and i did teach my friend which she had no idea how to drive manual during those two years

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Lg310 View Post
    no the question is what to change on my car not dots on top of i speaking my mind not worried about writing properly this isnt school or contest on who writes better alright ok so get rid of the IR. plugs what else should i switch out i just finished washing my trans. new flywheel is in and about to install pressure plate and clutch disc.

side question. what can i do to improve the life of my clutch the last one only lasted 2years or is that average life i was driving like a maniac and i did teach my friend which she had no idea how to drive manual during those two years
    people are complaining because it's very hard to read,thats all, The reason I suggested the V power plugs, is this engine just runs best on those plugs,those are the plugs the engine was designed around, are you going to post a thread all about your trip?

3Geez Veteran

[long post]
    I would like a reason as to why you're putting full synthetic in a 24-year-old four-banger.

No one will help you if they can't read or understand what you're trying to say. Correct, this isn't school or a contest, but if you're looking for help you need to type in a manner in which others can actually read. lostforawhile doesn't count because he just responds to everything.

Drive better. Problem solved.

Vehicle

the full synthetic is probably good for a horsepower or two, just due to reduced friction, and on a long trip like this, it may save some gas

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

Run on sentences so long you forget what the topic is & soon won't care. Pls. rewrite.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TotaledTL View Post
    Run on sentences so long you forget what the topic is & soon won't care. Pls. rewrite.
    Iknowtheserunonsentencesaboutdifferenttopicsdrivem ecrazyasIcan'treadthemasmyeyesaregettingold

DX User
    Vehicle

i. put. spaces. between. them. i. use. synthetic. because. seems. too. keep. my. engine. cleaner. than. conv.

,and i mean i don't use grammar on here its like im explaining the problem as if I were talking. BAW what about these plus E3 or something like that are those any good? Or maybe Pulsar? Or the Vpower still better

DX User
    Vehicle

Oh and yes i will I will try to update in every state to post how the car is running.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

Lowdiwasbonearamblinman

I like a good synthetic too. It keeps the ring pack clean, easy on the starter, and no oil drops in my driveway. Original '88 valve seals, no oil consumption, no blowby. (...it's only got 155K miles on it)

DX User
    Vehicle

Oh yes that's what i love about synthetic oil. When i switch a conventional oil when its due the oil is all burnt up all nasty. Synthetic still nice and brown i guess its preference I wont go back to Conventional.

DX User
    Vehicle

Oh wow you have a baby my 87 has 283,345